RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-08-2020, 04:19 PM   #1

Two 6V or one big 12V???

Hello everyone, I have tried to search everywhere to find some info on this topic with not much success. I have access through work to group 27,4d and 8d deep cycle batteries. I am customizing the trailer to fit what ever would be best. what would be better one 8d deep cycle or 2 6v golf cart batteries? The main use will be dry camping and running a 12v cooler. I have not bought the cooler yet so any first hand info on those would be great to.

thank you for any info have a great day!

adamsarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2020, 05:57 PM   #2

for me, the limiting factor was space for batteries. I really wanted to go with one or two larger 12v but did not have the space (one of either vert or horz was not enough) so I went with 2 T-105 6v at 225 AH

if I had the room, I would look at cost per AH

rbTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:12 PM   #3

There are two really good reasons folks go with two 6v batteries instead of one big 12v.

First, it's hard to find true deep cycle 12v batteries. They exist but they are harder to source and, therefore, tend to cost more. Obviously, sourcing one is not a problem for you.

Second, they weigh a lot. Depending on your setup and your physical strength, installing and maintaining a big 12v battery might be hard to impossible. Weights seem to run 130 lbs to 180 lbs each!

I'd go with 6v, even if you've got access to the 12v 8D. They probably cost less and are easier to find. Plus, you can lug those 6V batteries around more easily.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:22 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There's a cost factor to apply here, battery performance notwithstanding.

"I have access" can mean different things. Is this "free", "at cost", "discount", "used/free" or -? An SLI battery is short lived in cyclic service but if I got them for free and switched them out every 6 months, that might be a good deal. But short of being free or nearly so the better choice would probably be true deep cycle batteries like GC-2's you don't have to mess with for several years to come.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McMartin View Post
First, it's hard to find true deep cycle 12v batteries. They exist but they are harder to source and, therefore, tend to cost more.
Despite what the label says on "dual purpose"/"marine" 12V batteries they are NOT true deep batteries. The only commonly available true discharge batteries are golf cart batteries.

The only true deep discharge 12V batteries are 12V golf cart batteries, size GC12. Trojan makes one, the T1275. It has 150 AH capacity. A pair of 6V golf cart batteries (yes, they physically take up more room) would have about 225 AH. A typical Group 31 marine battery has about 110 AH capacity.

Yes, you can get the T1275 in AGM and Trojan even makes a 6V golf cart battery (size GC2) in AGM. $$$

I can not find an 8D battery that gives an AH rating at a 20 Hr rate (this is how deep discharge batteries are tested and rated).
Old 01-08-2020, 07:57 PM   #6

Interstate DCM0100 AGMís are true deep cycle and maintenance free. They are built for wheel chairs. 100 amp hr
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmanjay View Post
Interstate DCM0100 AGMís are true deep cycle and maintenance free. They are built for wheel chairs. 100 amp hr
T1275-AGM have about 150 AH (compared to 100 AH), but cost more than the DCM0100.

A pair of flooded GC2 cost less. A pair GC2 in AGM (T105-AGM) have a lot more capacity (225 AH) then any of the other mentioned solutions, but also cost more.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:49 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Two 6 volt batteries are really one BIG 12 volt unit. 3 cells each for a total of 6 as if they are split into two different cases for weight and volume considerations. Think you would be happy with T-105s or equivalent (I have 4.) In my mind compare the weight, that is where the capacity is. Two 12 volt units would have twice the number of cells (each smaller) and lots more plastic and cell walls.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:02 PM   #9
IT Professional

I'm using two pair of 6V batteries. It's an easier way to get more amp/hours, and still have manageable packages if you really need to move them around.
2014 Coachmen Chaparral 327RLKS
bbsguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
I can not find an 8D battery that gives an AH rating at a 20 Hr rate (this is how deep discharge batteries are tested and rated).
The Trojan version of the 8D are rated at 230 Ah at the 20 hour rate. About the same as two standard 6v golf cart batteries.

What I don't know is whether the internal design is as robust as a 6v battery or whether they can handle as many discharge cycles. 6v batteries are a known quantity in theory and, more importantly, practice. Another reason to go with 6v.

Disclaimer: We run lithium so...
Old 01-15-2020, 11:54 AM   #11

I found that my pair of Lifeline 8D batteries had less voltage drop then my previous set of 4 Trojan 6v batteries. All other things being equal, a 12v battery will have less internal resistance than a pair of 6v. Really only comes into play when applying large loads such as a microwave. YMMV.
LeisurePursuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisurePursuits View Post
I found that my pair of Lifeline 8D batteries had less voltage drop then my previous set of 4 Trojan 6v batteries.
At over 150 lb an 8D battery is a "two man" install !

Surprising that the 8D is only about 17% more capacity then a pairof Trojan T105-AGM batteries.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:52 AM   #13

The war wages... or that poor dead horse....

Batteries vary by manufacturer and the user/use. then add the charge and maintenance rate that hinges back to use.

Then there is cost vs use vs space etc..

IMO and my use of 12-20 weekends a year with maybe 1 or 2 weeks. I normally go with the flooded general deep cycle, exide,deka 27/29 or 31 groups.. puts me at 200-220 amp hr. I get 2-3 years out of them before they start to loose their cycle, I have added a winter set of smart chargers and that helps when i let it sit over 3 weeks at a time.
My retired RV had the same 2 plus I used 2 more deep/start types in the engine bay, I had a switch that tied all 4 when needed for a short use, always had atleast a 1000w honda with me..

Currently, I am looking at 2 6v, from sams or costco, at less than 100 each to add in...
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
At over 150 lb an 8D battery is a "two man" install !

Surprising that the 8D is only about 17% more capacity then a pairof Trojan T105-AGM batteries.
A quick internet search found a pair of T105 AGM for $540 or a single Lifeline 8D for $670. The Lifeline was about 20% more expensive, has 15% more Ah, and weighs 16% more. Pretty comparable, actually.

LeisurePursuits is offline   Reply With Quote