Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #1

Walmart- day trip?

I never saw this addressed, sorry if I missed it. Has any one ever parked their motor home at Walmart and unhooked their toad and toured the sights of the town during the day?
Dougrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougrus View Post
I never saw this addressed, sorry if I missed it. Has any one ever parked their motor home at Walmart and unhooked their toad and toured the sights of the town during the day?
Yes! several times.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
You better check with the store. Some Wal-Mart's have a time limit that you can park in the lot. If you are going in the store to shop they don't have a problem, but they might if you are going to be gone for hours.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
One time we parked and left things hooked up at a walmart and had friends pick us up and we spent several hours with them. Our plans at first were to just meet up and spend some time with gaming friends but we ended up going back for the RV and pulled and parked in front of their house for the night and had dinner and breakfast with them.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Of course people do it, but that's not the reason Wal*Mart allows it. Get off the road, get some sleep and be on your way. They allow it as a courtesy so there aren't sleepy drivers out there endangering everyone.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Of course people do it, but that's not the reason Wal*Mart allows it. Get off the road, get some sleep and be on your way. They allow it as a courtesy so there aren't sleepy drivers out there endangering everyone.

That's true, but we live in Virginia Beach and the WalMarts here take issue if you are parked in the lot too long. You CANNOT spend the night at any of the WM here for sure. Friends of ours pulled in to get a few things before they took off for a trip and were immediately "pounced" upon and told , "you know you can't park here". He told them they would be leaving as soon as they picked up some groceries and be on their way. I know they are all different. I have an app on my phone that will tell you if you might be able to park for the night. Notice, I said might. Their rules change often. We had a caravan of 7 going to Quebec and spent two nights at WM on our way. Our friend is from Quebec and has done this trip often and he knew that we were okay to spend the night....all 7 of us we asked... He said sure and we were The WM here is part of a group of many stores and restaurants, so they do not "own" the parking lot, so they don't want a bunch of RV's taking up a lot of space. Also, there are several campgrounds in the area that frown WM letting "campers" use them as a campground.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
My personal opinion is that it is sort of tacky to do that. You need to at least ask the store manager first.

Another thing to consider is that you are not familiar withe area and you may get it broken into or damaged.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:21 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
i always ask the manager or security for permission and where to park at wally world.

this allstays website is kept up to date by users of the site.
Walmart Locations Store Details & Parking | Walmart Store Locator

here are some etiquette rules.
Overnight RV parking etiquette
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Howdy!

Short answer NO! I use Walmart for over night parking at times. Even truck stops will not let trucks take advanage of there parking space with drop trailers. I think you need to find a RV park or Campground for this.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenda1908 View Post
Friends of ours pulled in to get a few things before they took off for a trip and were immediately "pounced" upon and told , "you know you can't park here". He told them they would be leaving as soon as they picked up some groceries and be on their way.
There would be no shopping by me at the Wal-Mart that approached me in such a manner. I would have told them I'll get my groceries elsewhere. If I'm not welcome, I won't spend money in their establishment. The Wal-Mart person (or perhaps their rent-a-security) could have handled it differently. "If you are shopping, welcome, but long term parking of RVs is not allowed. Thank You!" I can understand restricting RV overnighting or long term parking, but you would think they would want RVer's business.
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #11

Probably more to this story then we're hearing. Maybe this owner was becoming a problem --- don't know.

http://www.woodallscm.com/2012/06/at...-may-be-towed/
Magic Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #12

Jackfish, there could be a reason for getting told "you can't park here"...I know I have been told that...and it was due to city/county ordinance...not Walmart. The store that told me that, did have a spot on the side of the building out of view from the street...So I think that Walmart may have been pushing the law for the truckers and RV'rs
Old 06-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #13

Well, then if a community won't allow an RV traveler to stop and shop when there is adequate parking for an RV, I guess I'd have to consider not going to that community again. I can see restrictions on overnighting, long-term parking, and even dropping off the RV and taking off in the toad. But to restrict RV parking while someone is shopping in the establishment? Seems stupid to me.
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
Well, then if a community won't allow an RV traveler to stop and shop when there is adequate parking for an RV, I guess I'd have to consider not going to that community again. I can see restrictions on overnighting, long-term parking, and even dropping off the RV and taking off in the toad. But to restrict RV parking while someone is shopping in the establishment? Seems stupid to me.
I am sure that walmart does not have a problem with rv's parking and shopping,but you have to use common sense. Some Walmarts,like the one near us is part of a large shopping center. Some days it is crazy busy and taking a large rv towing a car in there is not very smart. If you can park along the perimeter you might be safe from getting run into. Again,as I said before,it's best to ask permission first if you plan on spending the night.