Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2022, 08:41 AM   #1

Washington State Dispersed Camping

Any one disperse camp at the Methow Wildlife Refuge or off the Mountain Loop Highway? How is it? Plenty of spots? How secluded from the highway are you? 35ft motorhome pulling a Jeep.

We had planned on staying two nights in Seattle to watch my nephew play semi-pro baseball but he tore his ACL in a game the other day and is out for a long time. We have reservations for Newhalem Campground after Seattle but they don't have any availability to add a day or two but I'd still like to get in that general area to explore and get some fishing in.

Thanks
Fushux is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2022, 07:31 PM   #2

Sorry about the ACL!! There is very limited big-rig friendly boondocking in the North Cascades area -- don't know about Methow area. But because the whole North Cascade area is so mountainous, the campsites tend to be very tight -- not much level ground. And the forest roads are very narrow -- hard to find turnaround spots.

I wish I had better news for you.

East of Rainy Pass, things tend to spread out more. I'd recommend downloading the MVUM maps from the national forest website -- that will give you some idea where to look. Good luck!
Old 05-09-2022, 08:42 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Not a whole lot of dispersed camping between Newhalem and Methow (that I'm aware of) but once you get to Winthrop I might suggest Pearrygin Lake State Park. Great fishing and a nice state park. Also plenty to explore in the immediate area in your Jeep, and, as I recall, some dispersed spots around the Pearrygin Lake area. Winthrop is a fun town for the day. As an alternate, the KOA in Winthrop is so so, but an option that's close to town. Enjoy Newhalem, I retired from SCL and spent plenty of time up there. The Diablo lake boat tour is awesome and shouldn't be missed. I was blessed to be involved in the design/spec building of the new Alice Ross IV tour boat before retirement.
Happy Trails.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:32 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately the state park is booked up. Figured that would happen so early to trip departure. Thinking about trying Sauk Park Campground but worried coming in on a Friday would be a bit of a problem. I guess if all else fails, I could end up in the Concrete KOA. That'll most likely have spots available same day.
Fushux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 05:35 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fushux View Post
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately the state park is booked up. Figured that would happen so early to trip departure. Thinking about trying Sauk Park Campground but worried coming in on a Friday would be a bit of a problem. I guess if all else fails, I could end up in the Concrete KOA. That'll most likely have spots available same day.

When we still had a NATCOA rally out that way, we stayed at Silverline Resort.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 06:24 PM   #6

Howard Miller Steelhead park East of Concrete, you have to call to reserve a spot. Weekends will be booked though. Just east of there is the Sutter Creek Rest area right along the river.

There are some wide pull outs along 20 and I have seen people spend the night at them. Some are very wide so you aren't near the road. Most of the campgrounds along 20 are not suited for larger rigs.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 12:55 PM   #7

https://www.campendium.com/washington/methow
https://www.campendium.com/washingto...rice-range=0-0

Make sure to filter by "always show free" this is my go to site as lots of helpful reviews for whatever you are driving. Have you also looked at Discover Pass DNR sites ? Those are quite dependable.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping