RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:24 PM   #1

Water

I'd like to run a concept by everyone. A while back I seen a teardrop (B.O.S.S., I think) that had a filtration system for taking on lake water for cooking and drinking. I've come up with a system that I think would work, but I'd like some input before I spend the $1500 on it.

Mesh filter basket to prevent weeds and muck
12v transfer pump
Inline filter (cheap, for preliminary filtration)
Pressure regulator (40-50 psi)
Flow restrictor (<5 gpm)
Pelican Water filter for the inorganic matter
UV purifier for pathogens
Bypass valve for testing water before it goes into my tank, and purging if necessary.

Is there anything I'm missing, or something anyone would do different? Everyone's thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Trilug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2017, 04:59 PM   #2

This is probably not the answer you are looking for, but my wife and I can go 2 weeks on 100 gallon. Plus I carry a bladder and extra pump that allows me to add 45 gallons at a time. There are a lot of ways to conserve water. Like never flush w/ fresh water. $1500 seems like a lot of $ for: I hope it works.

ByeTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:31 PM   #3

Water conservation isn't the problem, I've taken 4 showers on one fill of a 5 gallon solar shower, with enough water left to get one more shower. I'm considering setting up my toilet to flush from grey water, and try to separate the rinse and flush so I can dry flush for #1 and wet flush #2.

My problem is I'm converting a 21' school bus, that only has 90 - 100 sf building space, and I'm planning on boondocking. I've seen no drink orders too often, and want something that is reliable at purifying water. A solar still would be useful, but takes up time and space.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:43 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Your system will purify for pathogens, but will it purify for chemicals? Unless you know if the water is fairly safe to begin with, just what are you putting into your system?
Old 07-10-2017, 11:22 PM   #5

I have a zerowater pitcher type filter for finishing, which is supposedly one of the best short of reverse osmosis, or distillation. They claim to be NSF certified at reducing most of the inorganic crud that is out there, and it's done a dang good job at removing chlorine from the water I have now. But, they are not rated for pathogens. My thoughts are using the house filter to make sure the UV does it's job correctly, and then finish with the pitcher to get the inorganic. I'm obviously not going to try to filter mud, but the town I live in has had water issues that have prompted no drink orders on more than one occasion.

Tags
water