RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-20-2020, 06:42 AM   #1

Water Ideas While Boondocking

My Grand Designs 5th wheel has 3 solar panels and 4 6v AGM batteries, battery monitor, etc. I also have a Wave heater. So its set up for boondocking.

I leave it on my hunting lease Oct thru Dec and go there most every weekend and usually for a 4 day weekend (semi retired). Got it all covered except for the water issue. And I take a hot shower every night. I do have a 60 gal water bladder that I haul in every 2 wees or as needed. This works but is still a pain.

So, directly behind my camper, maybe 150 ft is a clear water creek. I'm thinking about running a small pump (on a Honda eu2000) to fill my water tank. I would use some kind of filter on a 3/4" water hose. I won't drink this water but for wash only.

Any ideas on the pump and filter for a water hose. And do I push or pull the water?? Pump at the creek or RV?? Anyone done anything similar to this?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2020, 07:48 AM   #2

A simple submersible sump pump would easily do it. I use one to drain my hot tub and run a 100 ft of hose and it has no issue pushing that.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:05 AM   #3

Always easier to push the water. Any leaks just drip away.

If your pulling it, you need a positive displacement pump and any slight leak will pull in air and lose the prime.

Maybe a BIG plastic storage tank near the RV and a solar powered pump to keep it full ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:33 AM   #4

Depending on what is in the creek water, you may need a high quality filtration system. You can get a sample tested and pick a filter to suit. You can filter it into the tank or as it comes out. Just be consistent.

Drinking the water may seem like the only way biolobicals can get to you. However, anything in the shower water will also cause illness.

In many places especially in the west, it is illegal to take water from a creek. In Wisconsin you need a permit and it is easy to get. In some places you can face an armed posse.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:01 AM   #5

A small submersible pool pump would work just fine.

To drain my hot tub, we use a Little Giant pump -- about a sixth of a horsepower. It drains 800 gallons in an hour or less. I run a hundred foot hose from the pump to my sewer cleanout, and the water has to go up and over a slight rise. You just drop the pump into the water, and plug in the waterproof cord to turn on the pump.

Be sure, though, that the terms of your hunting lease allow you to take water from the stream -- the landlord might not permit you to do so.

Back East, this might not be a big deal. Out in the dry West, it's a different story. As Mark Twain said, "Whiskey is for drinking, but water is for fighting!"
Old 09-20-2020, 10:33 AM   #6

Weíre in a similar situation.

We have a 550-gal. water tank next to the trailer. If you donít want to bring water in from the creek you can hire a water service to deliver potable water.

If you go the creek route here are a few considerations. Make sure you have water rights and/or you wonít get caught. Assuming itís a year-round creek Iíd look good and hard where youíre going to pump from. You donít want the intake resting directly on a dirt bottom. You also want some sort of intake filter to catch larger debris. On the other end of the hose Iíd add some sort of fine mesh or felt filter to catch the dirt and silt as it fills your tank. I use aquarium filter socks..theyíre only a few buck and catch a lot.

Lastly, it might not be a bad idea to have the water tested first. You can buy a pretty comprehensive water test on Amazon for about $170..a basic test for about half. If you donít know where that water is coming from youíll want to know whatís in it.
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_73 View Post

I leave it on my hunting lease Oct thru Dec and go there most every weekend and usually for a 4 day weekend (semi retired). Got it all covered except for the water issue. And I take a hot shower every night. I do have a 60 gal water bladder that I haul in every 2 wees or as needed. This works but is still a pain.
How big is your water tank onboard? One person; 4 showers doesn't have to use much water. I'm sure you're aware not to leaving the water run when you're trying to conserve. Wet down; soap up and rinse. We did it all the time. Bring jugs of water for your drinking/cooking and you shouldn't have an issue.

Using creek water could have legal and sanitary issues. Filling your tank with it contaminates your tank. A simple filter is not going to take care of what's in that water.

Seems to me that using the bladder you already have would be a better solution if you feel you need more water for only 4 days.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:13 PM   #8

You want an 'endless shower' type system, https://youtu.be/WgF9OoX0-w0

The best versions, filter and reheat the water as it recirculates. Uses less water than a navy shower, but lasts as long as you have power.
RickLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:27 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you clear any legal issues, you could add a chlorination system at the trailer end and take care of them micros. Still filter as needed for the bigger stuff.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondock, boondocking, water