Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2018, 08:43 PM   #1

Water saving while dry camping- Aquaview

I was recently reading another post "Power/water usage boondocking, and saw a post by Cruzbill about Aqua View and decided to check it out. Aquaviewinc.com

After looking at their website, I decided to order one. The Aqua View Showermiser is a recirculating valve that allows you to divert water from your shower mixing valve output back to the water tank until hot water arrives at the shower. This reduces the water that is wasted while you wait for it to get hot enough to take a shower. It has a blue colored pipe on some models or a blue "magic mushroom" on others that changes color when it gets hot.

They make a model for RVs (SMC001) but due to the design of our shower stall, it would not fit. I ordered (SMB001) which is designed for a sink, but can be used in a shower too.

We prefer to boondock and like to conserve both water and waste water to lengthen our camping time without having to break camp to dump and refill the water tank. Haven't had a chance to use it while camping yet, but did get it installed and I think it will help. Shark Bite slip on connector were used on the PEX pipe, which made it pretty easy to connect.

The water line from the shower mixing valve outlet is connected to the new valve input, and the new valve output is connected to the shower head. I installed a new PEX line from the new valve bypass to the fresh water tank for the cold, warm, hot water.

The bypass line was routed behind and under the shower along the outside passenger side wall, under the sink in the bathroom. From there, it goes thru the floor with other water pipes and is routed to the driver's side of the MH with the other water pipes. I used a tee to tie it into the PEX pipe that is run from the city water fill/fresh water fill connection to the water tank.

Prior to taking a shower, you open the bypass and the shower valve and let the water circulate until the water gets hot. Then switch the bypass back and hot water is routed to the shower head. I decided to not install the blue indicator mushroom due to limited access behind the shower. We found that after pumping water for about 15 seconds, the water is hot, so we will time it rather than have an indicator.

Attached are some pictures of the installation. Due to the tight quarters, its hard to get a good picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180226_134642.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	194057   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180226_134115.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	302.2 KB
ID:	194058  

Name:	20180226_124936.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	194059   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180226_122308.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	194060  

RPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2018, 10:49 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks!
Old 02-28-2018, 03:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Thanks!
Another problem that I was having is that the water tank vent/overflow causes my tank to lose around 15 to 20 gallons when traveling.
While digging through the pex fittings, I bought a 3/4" pex to 1/2" pipe fitting and 1/2" valve that will allow me to stop the leaking when traveling.

Name:	20180227_150445.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	194113
Old 03-02-2018, 10:51 PM   #4

This is on my to-do list. Takes 30 seconds to get hot water. That's a gallon wasted every shower and one less gallon of gray capacity.

Luckily, my fresh water tank is directly below my shower. Should be an easy job. I can run the return like straight down and directly into the tank with a new water tight fitting. At least I hope it's that easy.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:43 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPrince View Post
Another problem that I was having is that the water tank vent/overflow causes my tank to lose around 15 to 20 gallons when traveling.
While digging through the pex fittings, I bought a 3/4" pex to 1/2" pipe fitting and 1/2" valve that will allow me to stop the leaking when traveling.

Attachment 194113
I need to do this. Thanks.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:16 AM   #6

We collect the cold water in the shower into a plastic pitcher, it them becomes the dog dish water.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 01:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktn1966 View Post
We collect the cold water in the shower into a plastic pitcher, it them becomes the dog dish water.

X 2. One pitcher for the dog & 1 goes in the ice maker or tea pot. No waste.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McMartin View Post
This is on my to-do list. Takes 30 seconds to get hot water. That's a gallon wasted every shower and one less gallon of gray capacity.

Luckily, my fresh water tank is directly below my shower. Should be an easy job. I can run the return like straight down and directly into the tank with a new water tight fitting. At least I hope it's that easy.
Are you planning on cutting a new hole in your water tank for the return? If so, what type fitting do you plan to use?

My water tank is right below where I brought the return line through the floor too, but there was't any connections on that side of the MH.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPrince View Post
Are you planning on cutting a new hole in your water tank for the return? If so, what type fitting do you plan to use?

My water tank is right below where I brought the return line through the floor too, but there was't any connections on that side of the MH.
Probably a self-sealing fitting like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RCPA2U

It won't see any pressure since the overflow pipe will go through the top of the tank. But it will keep water from spilling out when driving. There are probably other types of fitting that would work too.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:32 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
The normal installation of the showermiser is to tap the new line into the intake line of your water pump, thus not needing to go to the tank.
Jeep trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:40 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep trekker View Post
The normal installation of the showermiser is to tap the new line into the intake line of your water pump, thus not needing to go to the tank.
Even if the fresh water tank is 8 feet closer than the water pump?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:24 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I built my own version of Aqua View to pre-charge hot water lines to below the kitchen sink and to the bathroom. No more catching water with a bucket! I connected the hot water water return to fresh tank lines to tees I inserted into the fresh water tank drain line above the drain valve and below the fresh tank. One advantage is that the water can drain from the new water return lines for winterization when the fresh water tank drain valve is open. I used 1/4" ID <> 3/8" OD PEX tubing for the return lines.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:57 PM   #13

Nice Job RPrince
I have never been able to find a way to get back to the fresh water tank, so I capture the warm up water in a gallon jug within the shower. This is not as clean as yours but still works.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
Nice Job RPrince
I have never been able to find a way to get back to the fresh water tank, so I capture the warm up water in a gallon jug within the shower. This is not as clean as yours but still works.
Remember, you don't have to go all the way back to the tank just anywhere on the non-pressurized side of the fresh water system like the fill line the drain line or even the input to the water pump itself.
pplwizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, water