Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2013, 05:40 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-HODAG View Post
Mytime, you paid $450 for Lifeline 8-D's? Can I hire you to negotiate my divorce settlement? That is a fantastic price.
I guess divorces are kinda like batteries,it pays to shop around before jumping in..
l also sold the old one. 2 of them still checked good.
Good luck,, lifeline has a couple of distribution points, one in NC,not sure of others..
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2013, 12:42 AM   #30

Iwas just looking a Evo2 lithouum batteries with cca 500 for $279. They weigh all of 3.8lbs and are 12×12×12"
For motorcycles and boats etc.
jasright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasright View Post
Iwas just looking a Evo2 lithouum batteries with cca 500 for $279. They weigh all of 3.8lbs and are 12×12×12"
For motorcycles and boats etc.
Yes, but are they appropriate for deep cycle duty?
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Rated in CCA, it wouldn't be a deep cycle battery and certainly no good for RV use.

Now here is a nice one with 300 AHs for RV use. Not a bad price at $3,500. I'd like to have 4 of these puppies, but that's getting close to what I paid for the MH

http://www.lithiumion-batteries.com/...on-battery.php
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #33

Just saw a 12volt 20ah lfp battery for about $200. It's only about 8×6×2 which is only 48cu. Inches. Figure a 8×4×2' storage bau gives me 96x58×24 inches or 110,592 cu inches or room for 2, 304 batteries. Way more than needed. I expect to buy maybe two a month till I have at less twenty that should give me 400 ah of power and if I can get enough batteries I'll try hooking up those 300+hp electric motors for a hybrid drive.aquarium
jasright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #34

Seems to be easier (and a bunch cheaper) to merely reduce consumption than to spend a bunch of cash on super-size batteries to me.

DW and I have no problem going 4 days with 2 'standard' marine deep cycle / starting batteries from Wally World that cost ~$125 / each.

We do have a 4kw Onan and a little Honda that can be used if we need extra power or a recharge.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
I'm in your camp Murf. Rather than adding batteries, I tossed the old CRTs and inverter, replaced with 12v LEDs. Replaced all incondesents and floresents with LEDs. We reduced 12v consumption by 80%. We go about 3 days on 2 GC2s, but our fantastic vent runs 6-8 hrs a day and the wife used a CPAP 8 hrs a night.

It's whatever floats your boat out here in RV Land
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
Seems to be easier (and a bunch cheaper) to merely reduce consumption than to spend a bunch of cash on super-size batteries to me. DW and I have no problem going 4 days with 2 'standard' marine deep cycle / starting batteries from Wally World that cost ~$125 / each. We do have a 4kw Onan and a little Honda that can be used if we need extra power or a recharge.
That's works, to a point unless you are camping in extremely cold weather where the furnace runs for long periods. I refuse to go without water in the tanks so the furnace need to run to keep the tanks from freezing. Thus, larger batteries are needed. Winter time camping is the best!!
mtbdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #37

With two group 31 Exide AGM we never drop below 78% DOD regardless of the weather and the 200 Watts of solar panel bring the bank back to 100% in a couple hours time.

I looked at the warranties provided and Exide was the only company that provided full replacement and not a pro-rated warranty. I chose AGM to be able to mount one on its side. AGM are better than flooded lead acid in cold weather but that was not a consideration.

The last thing I would want to handle is a 8-D battery that weighs in at 162 lbs.
If I had space for such a battery I would go instead with a couple of 6v batteries instead.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #38

The Exide warranty appears to have a 30 month (two and a half years) free replacement period. It also appears that the pro-rata warranty that used to be available for 54 months (an additional four and a half years) is not available on Exide batteries shipped after 10-1-2012.

Fullriver AGM batteries have a two year free replacement warranty, followed by an additional three year pro-rata. One of the best AGM batteries, Rolls-Surrette AGM batteries have a similar warranty.

If your Exide AGM battery fails after two and a half years you get nothing to replace it. If a Fullriver battery fails after two and a half years you get a pro-rated refund, which is at least something toward a new battery.

I'm surprised that another one of the best AGM batteries for RVs, Lifelines, only have a one year free replacement, followed by four years pro-rata, warranty.
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #39

We have 9.7 kW hours of LFP batteries and 1400 W of solar. Temps are in 20s and low 30s with several inches of snow on panels and fourth day of heavy overcast and snow. We are dry camping and batteries are holding up well but may need to pull out 1 kW generator on another day or two since the forced air heating does use up the power. We had neglected to have propane outlet installed for propane catalytic heater on this rig; otherwise we would be set for a few more weeks. Sun is supposed to come out tomorrow here at Bosque del Apache NWR as the Festival of the Cranes winds down
Reed Cundiff
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Cundiff View Post
We have 9.7 kW hours of LFP batteries and 1400 W of solar. Temps are in 20s and low 30s with several inches of snow on panels and fourth day of heavy overcast and snow. We are dry camping and batteries are holding up well but may need to pull out 1 kW generator on another day or two since the forced air heating does use up the power. We had neglected to have propane outlet installed for propane catalytic heater on this rig; otherwise we would be set for a few more weeks. Sun is supposed to come out tomorrow here at Bosque del Apache NWR as the Festival of the Cranes winds down Reed Cundiff
WOW!! that sounds like quite the rig!! I would love to see pictures if your set up. We rarely stay in a rv place with hookups so 90% of the time we are dry camping. Just recently we have had a decent size solar array and it's only 200 watts, but i really love it!!!
What batteries are you using and where do you have them? Thanks

Ken
mtbdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
We have standard pair of group 27 deep cycle but we added 4 deka gc15 6 volt two years ago.
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-HODAG View Post
Those lithiums look sweet but the prices are out of my league. Is anyone using Deka AGM batteries? I need 6 size 8D and Dekas are a lot less than Lifelines. l installed Lifelines in my last rig and they were great.
I used four of them for several years with zero problems. Of course, like ALL agm's they want a 100% charge after each cycle...so I don't recommend agm's unless you plan to always get to 100% when recharging and have a charger that can meet the particular bulk/absorb & float voltages required by your brand. Deka makes a good battery. Also I would look at the FullRivers as they seem well regarded by those who've tried them and offer some excellent prices.
At 1500 amp hours you're gonna need a helluva charger!