Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2021, 02:22 AM   #1

What to call this common boondocking phenomenon?

When we are boondocking in really remote territory, we are often struck by the luxury of having some specific comfort, however minimal it may be, while camping off the grid. Examples: our fridge makes one tray of ice cubes a day, so we greatly enjoy ice in our afternoon drinks, something we would take for granted at home.

Or having a hot shower available every evening, even though it is a Navy shower and not nearly as good as our shower at home. Yet being in the middle of nowhere, and still being able to shower, feels like a great luxury.

The same for having a decent mattress, or having great coffee in the morning, or enjoying a really good wine with dinner: these are all things that are ordinary at home but seem like major achievements in the wilderness. And this feeling of gratitude for these comforts is somehow much greater while boondocking than while camped at an RV park or a campground.

So here is my question: is there a term for this phenomenon? Or is this something that might be named in another language but not in English, like schadenfreude? (A German word meaning “the pleasure one gets from the misfortune of others.”)

Your linguistic suggestions (and other examples of this thing, whatever it’s called) are appreciated!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2021, 09:15 AM   #2

That is a really good question! I am very familiar with the phenomenon, but have no words to describe it.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:19 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No people, no traffic peace and quiet and all the comforts of home.....HEAVEN
jporietis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:02 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by profdan View Post
When we are boondocking in really remote territory, we are often struck by the luxury of having some specific comfort...

So here is my question: is there a term for this phenomenon? Or is this something that might be named in another language but not in English, like schadenfreude? (A German word meaning “the pleasure one gets from the misfortune of others.”)

Your linguistic suggestions (and other examples of this thing, whatever it’s called) are appreciated!

I think the French term "Je ne sais quoi" could be adapted to your use. Especially if you truly don't know what to call it...

I use the term for people or situations having a certain special quality about them that seems to defy description.
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:09 AM   #5

For those that do not speak French

"Je ne sais quoi" ------ "I don't know what" ( use it to refer to an intangible, distinctive quality)

As for me........
I just call it "ENJOYING the Camping ----back to nature"
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:50 PM   #6

Inconvenient Luxury.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:45 PM   #7

Are we talking about “Glamping”?
Trexoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:17 PM   #8

Trex, it's different from glamping --where, for example, you have high-threadcount sheets and unlimited ice cubes. What I'm talking about is when you are grateful to have sheets at all, and you are delighted to have three ice cubes a day, all while being as far off the grid as possible.

Glampers often have paid staffers tending to their needs. Boondockers don't.

In discussing this labelling problem with DW, she suggested "smoothing it." As distinguished from "roughing it." Roughing it would mean sleeping on the ground and eating freeze dried meals -- true camping.

Smoothing it means, I suppose, boondocking while consciously enjoying limited comforts. Or to put it another way, being pleasantly aware of the slightly absurd juxtaposition between the wild setting and the unwild amenities.

This notion of "smoothing it" is related, I think, to the Danish concept of hygge (pronounced hoo-geh). And it is also sort of like the Italian idea of dolce far niente, sweetly doing nothing. Hanging out, as we call it.

As soon as we get the vaccine, we're back on the road -- no more worrying about subtle linguistic acrobatics. Covid has really helped us focus on what is important in life -- travel, and spending time with friends and family.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:25 PM   #9

I think the phenomenon you're describing is a shift in perspective; things that you regard as commonplace at home feel special when camping. And that's a good thing. One of the points of camping for many people is a change of perspective from their everyday.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:55 PM   #10

Smoothing it - the best description I have heard!
Old 01-28-2021, 10:10 PM   #11

The Tiffin magazine entitles it "Roughing it Smoothly". I always liked the sound of that and I understand what you are talking about. The simple pleasures of an uncluttered life give you a perspective of appreciating life and the small good things in it. Prof Dan, you stated the phenomenon very nicely. Don't know how to tie it down with a descriptive definition, but it is a good thing.
Thanks,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 12:37 PM   #12

40 years ago my wife and I were on our way to Alaska. We pulled into a campground in the Yukon. There was only one other camper there! They were already inside their truck camper as we were pitching our tent. Did I mention it was early October, about 34F, and raining? We looked at that camper with the steam rising from the heater vent and promised ourselves that we would be those people one day.
Old 01-29-2021, 02:24 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Paradise
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 02:46 PM   #14

Bliss
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondock, boondocking