Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2019, 02:28 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
"Boondocking or homeless?" is one of my favorite games to play here in Seattle while I ride my bike along the water in West Seattle. See, we've got lots of drug addicts living in RVs because homeless shelters have rules, man. But it's also a convenient & scenic place to spend a night or two while visiting the city. So it's fun to try and figure out which is which. (Hint: look for unrepaired damage, bad tires, tarps, flotsam & jetsam, TOADs which can't be towed, etc.)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2019, 02:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_the_ee View Post
"Boondocking or homeless?" is one of my favorite games to play here in Seattle while I ride my bike along the water in West Seattle. See, we've got lots of drug addicts living in RVs because homeless shelters have rules, man. But it's also a convenient & scenic place to spend a night or two while visiting the city. So it's fun to try and figure out which is which. (Hint: look for unrepaired damage, bad tires, tarps, flotsam & jetsam, TOADs which can't be towed, etc.)
Yup. I live in Portland. Work downtown. Same deal.

Just want to add the the RVs along the Deschutes. It is a road with no parking restrictions
So about a dozen bad RVs have set up there.
2 of them by the way have level 1 sex offenders living in them. I'm sure the OP is describing the same situation. Not rv'rs just stopped for the night or BLM
Bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:45 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
camp verde has 5 dump stations and another 3 in flagstaff, and like my coach hold 108 gal fresh 55 gal black 55 gal gray and 12 gal galley so 2 weeks is not an issue. not all boon dockers are bums. some have to do it til the campground spot opens others are enjoying oak creek.

if you are so worried about it stop and talk to some one there.
as for it being junkies thats a far stretch since that is a tourist big money area the police would not stand for it and junkies like to be close to were they can score

there are a growing number of ufo hunts going to that area as it is in the top 8 ufo hot spots in the usa there are both night and day tours it has been featured on some tv shows there is even the ufo restaurant and how many locals report the black unmarked helicopters.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:55 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Cities all over the country are passing legislation to prohibit parking rv's and box trucks on city streets which are rented out by the night to individuals to sleep in. Some don't run and have to be towed from site to site.
In one case the city tows them to auction lots where the owner buys them back and moves them out to park on street for rental again. Its a business.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbafett View Post
I would guess the OP is describing homeless. Not campers in BLM. They have the right to camp. 14 up to 30 days then relocate. Not junk RVs that need tarps to keep rain out and black tanks leaking on the streets otlr dumping in the rain run off grates.
I'm gathering from my personal experience where I live is that these RVs are dilapidated RVs and could not legal be on the read, or in any camp ground.
If I can I'll upload some photos to give examples.

I'm betting that these people on the side of the road is the same thing we deal with here.
From the OP's statement, there would not be homeless camps parked there. She needs to contact the proper authorities to find out her answer and stop assuming. If it's forest service they'd allowed 14 days and many RVs can last 14 days on their tanks before having to MOVE and dump. We could.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 03:12 PM   #20

Dump Stations --Camp Verde
Those would be AT campgrounds for a FEE

UFO Tours...only $75/person
For $40 bucks I will take you on a 'stealth' camper tour......
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 03:23 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Dump Stations --Camp Verde
Those would be AT campgrounds for a FEE

UFO Tours...only $75/person
For $40 bucks I will take you on a 'stealth' camper tour......
10 bucks just like polit and lovs stations

and why would i need you i know the are including the goverment owned land with the caves that people say there is the man sized bat
Old 11-26-2019, 04:13 PM   #22

Moth man has relocated from WV?
Old 11-26-2019, 04:44 PM   #23

In California people that only live in a RV are considered homeless. We have a LOT of them. I think it's the millennial hippies idea of living free. Don't get me wrong, a lot of them are just straight out bums, but most of the time I don't see them out actually boondocking. Normally they park near a liquor store and stay for months. At places I have went to in order to boondock you don't see many bums. They usually want to keep near cities in order to beg and drink and it would do them no good being in the middle of nowhere.
Pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 04:58 PM   #24

I believe the area you're talking about is along State routes Alt 89 and/or 260? A great deal of that area is in the Prescott National Forrest and the Coconino National Forrest. In some areas these face each other directly across the road. If you are that concerned, go to the local Forrest Service office and find out exactly what the rules are in the area that most concerns you, and who you are supposed to contact (phone number) when you have an issue. Just remember, if there is a time limit, just moving across the street may be a way these folks get around that. Further, I'd be very surprised if there were rules about how new or how pretty (or ugly) these rigs can be.

I'm quite familiar with this very area as I spend time there every winter, and have stayed at in both forests. We stay in both the fee and free areas. In addition, we visit with friends who winter in Oak Creek. Frankly, with the Oak Creek and Sedona permanent and winter residents income levels and the vast number of restrictions these towns have on just about EVERY activity, it's obvious the "not in my backyard" crowd feels these people offend their delicate sensibilities, and want them gone. A simple ride down any road in the area will show you a myriad of signs restricting this and that.

If these "BUMS" are violating the rules of staying in these places, you have a valid complaint, that needs to be addressed. If they simply offend your sensibilities, I'd remind you that these forests are available for ALL our citizens to use and enjoy. These areas were not created for your private viewing pleasure, so deal with it, there will be more.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:14 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkathy View Post

and why would i need you i know the are including the goverment owned land with the caves that people say there is the man sized bat

Been awhile??
$15 per dump at the CGs
SHell/Texaco..CLOSED
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkathy View Post

What ?
Old 11-26-2019, 09:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbafett View Post
I would guess the OP is describing homeless. Not campers in BLM. They have the right to camp. 14 up to 30 days then relocate. Not junk RVs that need tarps to keep rain out and black tanks leaking on the streets otlr dumping in the rain run off grates.
I'm gathering from my personal experience where I live is that these RVs are dilapidated RVs and could not legal be on the read, or in any camp ground.
If I can I'll upload some photos to give examples.

I'm betting that these people on the side of the road is the same thing we deal with here.
Seems to be a little of both. One travel trailer camped just up the road from me has a tarp covering the entire length of the roof. I also see some 10-20 year-old Class A that leave for a few days and then come back, perhaps because of the 14 day limit. Not seeing too many late model diesel pushers out there, that's for sure, but some seem to be there just for a night or two and then move on.

Didn't see this phenomenon in 2008-09 when the economy was really bad, so it seems like a relatively recent development. Perhaps it's because our local hotels have gotten so expensive? The Air BnB craze has caused a lot of problems around here too, but that's another story.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:51 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinerant1 View Post
Moth man has relocated from WV?
Scorch beasts got him.
lo-tek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, boondock