RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-15-2020, 12:16 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
I'm with you 1000% on that!!

We need a new abbreviation - LV's. That's a vehicle designation for folks to live in, as opposed to vehicles to camp in. (Ooops ... I guess the old term for an LV is a "mobile home".)

Tis complicated. Basically there are 2 main uses of RVs - recreational vehicles and residential vehicles. It kind of come down to "what's the difference between homeless and house-less?" Even then it depends on why one might be house-less and living full time in an RV. Some folks invest and save and retire to full time RV living. Some folks lose their jobs or can no longer afford increases in rent and utilities but can afford to exist in an RV.

I'm still in recreation mode. Will have to wait and see what retirement brings.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2020, 10:30 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
I live near Sedona, AZ, and just over the last couple years I'm seeing a lot more RVs camped off the side roads that feed the highways, often for weeks at a time. On the ten mile drive from my house to Sedona I recently counted a dozen parked motorhomes and travel trailers, some of which look more like permanent residences than vacationers.

I don't have a problem with campers, but I have to wonder what the more long-term residents are doing with their waste, and I'd hate to see our forest roads and jeep trails become de facto homeless camps.

I took this photo of one of the trailers you mentioned in Sedona. It's obvious from the extended and staked awnings, external propane tank, table and chairs, and hay on the ground around it that they have been there for weeks. I can tell you this RV for sure is a permanent residence, as you point out.

I wouldn't exactly call them homeless...that RV is nicer than many of the dilapidated homes I've seen in the same rural areas.

As far as waste...iirc they had a blue boy in the back of their pickup to dispose of it responsibly. Better than some of the rural homeowners I've seen using open humanure piles leaching into the ground.

Oh, btw, that's my "homeless camp" you saw on the side of the road...I'll be back again soon to enjoy the same scenery you do on our public lands. Only difference, I don't leave a permanent footprint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170102_164946.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	373.6 KB
ID:	272847  

McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:03 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
...This is NOT the new normal.
Actually, it is the new normal.

Millenials, as well as other generations, are bucking the traditional 30 year mortgage and the indebtedness that goes along with it. They are embracing a pay-as-you-go financial mindset.

This is what pay-as-you-go looks like when you are not financially leveraged until you die. Small mobile living quarters and the liberty to choose where they go, where they work and all matters pertaining to their life.

This is all happening under the BEST economy and lowest unemployment. What do you think people will do if the economy tanks? Sell their RV and buy a house?

The negative speculation put forth in this thread is baseless and is only self serving.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:11 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarkid View Post
Don’t want to make light of any of the issues brought up here, but “boondocking” is a general term. It has evolved.....

I use the term camping as a generalization: camp, park, stay, etc.

Boondocking = camping in the boonies, away from it all. (This includes BLM, forestry land, state parks, etc).

Walldocking = camping at Walmart.

Lotdocking = camping in any parking lot other than walmart.

Moochdocking = camping in a relatives or friends driveway. (you are only mooching if you hook up).

All of the above are dependent
on following the time limit rules (written or not), being respectful, cleaning up and moving on.

An rv/camper/van/car that has set up residency, is tarp covered, leaking, surrounded by trash, and has overstayed their welcome does not qualify as a true “boondocker”. Doesn’t alway mean it is a choice. Could be down on their luck.

There is also stealthdocking, but that one is all about camping in a van/car where you are not supposed to - different style, different purpose.
Moochdocking...lol. Guilty as charged.
But why does the Christmas gathering always end up in our coach? Guess that's the price of admission, and a well stocked liquor cabinet.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:02 PM   #47

I am no where close to a monied person and used to camp, live in, in an old Terry Traveler but I never piled my belongings and trash underneath the trailer for critters to scrounge through, nor do I toss my plastic and cans in the fire place. I dispose of my black tank at dump stations. A 30 year old vehicle does not make you a bum but living like a trashy hoarder in one, while allowing your garbage to be strewn across the landscape does.

As a disabled vet with numerous years in Iraq and Afghanistan I reject the use of homeless vets with mental issues as a reason to live like a pig. I have all those other issues that those claiming to be mental issue vets but still keep my camp neat and trash free. We are full timers because I can no longer deal with staying in a town or dealing with long term residence. I park and stay my 14 days them move on, and when I do the next person to occupy my spot is greeted with a clean fire ring, sometimes left over wood and that is all. You won't even find my dogs poop.

I have gone out on a few expeditions with my friend, a vet advocate, to document and try and help those that are homeless. They will accept sleeping bags, tents, food and whatever else we can carry but never assistance to get medical treatment at a VA facility or to start the process for a VA claim.

Yet they still bemoan the that they have no interest in the VA. It makes me wonder if their military service is a figment of their imagination to make you feel sorry for them and give them a few items. A homeless veteran is given special treatment in the VA system, both on the medical and compensation. I could not see a truly homeless person turn down either of these.

When taking to the supposedly homeless vet about seeking Veteran Affairs assistance they always throw up roadblocks. The biggest is they don't know what happened to their paperwork. Bingo, I have the form to order your records. Nope, they don't have a computer to start a claim, funny you mentioned that, my friend has an office with three computers for homeless veterans to use, and we will give you a ride to and from your homeless camp. A homeless vet can bee expected to get a VA rating, being in the 50% and will recieve nearly $1000 a month. Any veteran can go to a VA medical facility, they will they try and help you, based on your category. You can also get a ride to the nearest one with several Veteran advocacy groups. I had a girlfriend, veyeran air force four years, no disabilities and she still went to the VA when she had no insurance coverage. The VA is there to help but it is up to you to go.

Yes, I am hard on people who do not care to live a "Leave No Trace" policy. I was taught by my sergeants that a dirty camp attracts rodents and other vermin. If you are homeless living in Quartzsite for the season you should still maintain a clean camp. Unfortunately there is getting to be a larger percentage that do not and I can not blame communities from enacting rules to stop the spread of junked camping sites allowing garbage, filth and all that goes with it to be blown in to their backyards.

Stop making excuses for those that live like pigs, bums, derelicts or any other name you want give them. We are all are required to read and follow the rules no matter what your living situation.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:49 AM   #48

When did boondocking become "a thing"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
I took this photo of one of the trailers you mentioned in Sedona. It's obvious from the extended and staked awnings, external propane tank, table and chairs, and hay on the ground around it that they have been there for weeks. I can tell you this RV for sure is a permanent residence, as you point out.

I wouldn't exactly call them homeless...that RV is nicer than many of the dilapidated homes I've seen in the same rural areas.

As far as waste...iirc they had a blue boy in the back of their pickup to dispose of it responsibly. Better than some of the rural homeowners I've seen using open humanure piles leaching into the ground.

Oh, btw, that's my "homeless camp" you saw on the side of the road...I'll be back again soon to enjoy the same scenery you do on our public lands. Only difference, I don't leave a permanent footprint.

I wouldn’t assume they have been there for weeks unless you personally witnessed it. Also we have periods of heavy precipitation which makes boondocking a challenge and see no ruts. But I could be wrong. For a 2 week stay, that’s about a 2 hour set up or less for a couple. I like the hay, which seems to be fresh, but wouldn’t do it unless a ranger gave me permission. Staking the awning is a good idea around here. A couple basically needs a macerator and a blue boy in the bed of a truck. I wonder how much solar they have?
USAMTBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:04 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post

I don't think folks realize that this is YOUR RV. Nice looking. I'm not sure about the 'grass' though. Arizona is very strict as to horse feed and where it came from. Hope you were legal in that respect.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:10 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I don't think folks realize that this is YOUR RV. Nice looking. I'm not sure about the 'grass' though. Arizona is very strict as to horse feed and where it came from. Hope you were legal in that respect.

Ahhh. Sweet set up. That is the best glamping rig I’ve ever seen. No neighbors or ranger encounters. I could learn from you
USAMTBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:06 AM   #51

I think boondocking really became the thing when RV parks dramatically increased rates

At the same time parks became crowded due to the increasing number of RVs on the road

Unfortunately many dispersed camping sites have been closed due to trashy people

Popular destinations are now booked over a year out leading to more interest in Boondocking

We pickup after the trashy people when possible
Old 02-06-2020, 05:23 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
It was local hay. I have only ever been stuck twice. Once here in Sedona. Buried the front of the truck in clay up to the frame. After digging our way out, we picked up the hay from a local farmers to help with tracking the mud in.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:36 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
I live near Sedona, AZ, and just over the last couple years I'm seeing a lot more RVs camped off the side roads that feed the highways, often for weeks at a time. On the ten mile drive from my house to Sedona I recently counted a dozen parked motorhomes and travel trailers, some of which look more like permanent residences than vacationers.

I don't have a problem with campers, but I have to wonder what the more long-term residents are doing with their waste, and I'd hate to see our forest roads and jeep trails become de facto homeless camps.

Sedona set themselves up for this by claiming to be the "Spirit Center" for the universe.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:23 PM   #54

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktn1966 View Post
I am no where close to a monied person and used to camp, live in, in an old Terry Traveler but I never piled my belongings and trash underneath the trailer for critters to scrounge through, nor do I toss my plastic and cans in the fire place. I dispose of my black tank at dump stations. A 30 year old vehicle does not make you a bum but living like a trashy hoarder in one, while allowing your garbage to be strewn across the landscape does.

As a disabled vet with numerous years in Iraq and Afghanistan I reject the use of homeless vets with mental issues as a reason to live like a pig. I have all those other issues that those claiming to be mental issue vets but still keep my camp neat and trash free. We are full timers because I can no longer deal with staying in a town or dealing with long term residence. I park and stay my 14 days them move on, and when I do the next person to occupy my spot is greeted with a clean fire ring, sometimes left over wood and that is all. You won't even find my dogs poop.

I have gone out on a few expeditions with my friend, a vet advocate, to document and try and help those that are homeless. They will accept sleeping bags, tents, food and whatever else we can carry but never assistance to get medical treatment at a VA facility or to start the process for a VA claim.

Yet they still bemoan the that they have no interest in the VA. It makes me wonder if their military service is a figment of their imagination to make you feel sorry for them and give them a few items. A homeless veteran is given special treatment in the VA system, both on the medical and compensation. I could not see a truly homeless person turn down either of these.

When taking to the supposedly homeless vet about seeking Veteran Affairs assistance they always throw up roadblocks. The biggest is they don't know what happened to their paperwork. Bingo, I have the form to order your records. Nope, they don't have a computer to start a claim, funny you mentioned that, my friend has an office with three computers for homeless veterans to use, and we will give you a ride to and from your homeless camp. A homeless vet can bee expected to get a VA rating, being in the 50% and will recieve nearly $1000 a month. Any veteran can go to a VA medical facility, they will they try and help you, based on your category. You can also get a ride to the nearest one with several Veteran advocacy groups. I had a girlfriend, veyeran air force four years, no disabilities and she still went to the VA when she had no insurance coverage. The VA is there to help but it is up to you to go.

Yes, I am hard on people who do not care to live a "Leave No Trace" policy. I was taught by my sergeants that a dirty camp attracts rodents and other vermin. If you are homeless living in Quartzsite for the season you should still maintain a clean camp. Unfortunately there is getting to be a larger percentage that do not and I can not blame communities from enacting rules to stop the spread of junked camping sites allowing garbage, filth and all that goes with it to be blown in to their backyards.

Stop making excuses for those that live like pigs, bums, derelicts or any other name you want give them. We are all are required to read and follow the rules no matter what your living situation.

Thank you for your service sir.

Well said.

AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, boondock