Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2019, 10:44 AM   #1

When did boondocking become "a thing"?

I live near Sedona, AZ, and just over the last couple years I'm seeing a lot more RVs camped off the side roads that feed the highways, often for weeks at a time. On the ten mile drive from my house to Sedona I recently counted a dozen parked motorhomes and travel trailers, some of which look more like permanent residences than vacationers.

I don't have a problem with campers, but I have to wonder what the more long-term residents are doing with their waste, and I'd hate to see our forest roads and jeep trails become de facto homeless camps.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2019, 10:57 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
I live near Sedona, AZ, and just over the last couple years I'm seeing a lot more RVs camped off the side roads that feed the highways, often for weeks at a time. On the ten mile drive from my house to Sedona I recently counted a dozen parked motorhomes and travel trailers, some of which look more like permanent residences than vacationers.

I don't have a problem with campers, but I have to wonder what the more long-term residents are doing with their waste, and I'd hate to see our forest roads and jeep trails become de facto homeless camps.

They use to hang out at the Walmart in Cottonwood until the shoot out with police.
Then with the 260 HWY construction they got run out of that area between I-17 and Cottonwood.

What do you think they are doing with their waste

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:00 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
More and more rvs out there, higher campground prices in the "season", full campgrounds, needing to make reservations a year or more in advance, etc. Need I say more?
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:03 AM   #4

This is an issue where I live in Portland OR.
Along the deshhutes river...no parking restrictions. Dilapidated RVs and dumping waist on the street.
They are bums. Not boondockers. I boondocked since I was a kid in the Rockies. My kids do that at mt. Hood using their pick up.

Someone boondocking is a camper just not on a service (water/power, etc)

A bum is what your referencing. But they aren't setting up tents on the sidewalks. They have a [moderator edit] RV that is leaking crap and looks like it will fall apart if it moves.
Bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuquala View Post
More and more rvs out there, higher campground prices in the "season", full campgrounds, needing to make reservations a year or more in advance, etc. Need I say more?
I agree with this. But someone looking for a RV park will find a reasonable place to park if the camp ground is not available. Like harvest host. Or call around and find another park. These people are homeless bums...well not truly homeless. But the people on the sides of roads like OP is hopefully referencing isn't the same as what you are describing.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:47 AM   #6

If the areas you're talking about are in the Coconino Nat'l Forest and Red Rock District then there are rules and they should be enforced by the national forest. Contact them. Most areas have a 14-day limit.

Don't assume anything until you actually know.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
If the areas you're talking about are in the Coconino Nat'l Forest and Red Rock District then there are rules and they should be enforced by the national forest. Contact them. Most areas have a 14-day limit.

Don't assume anything until you actually know.
Not sure about anything specific. But on the side of the road near highways. And a line of them. Bums. I can only comment on what I see daily here. From the description it is not rv'rs just stopped for the night because they are driving too long and need a break.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:12 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't think you're calling 'boondocking' what the folks experiencing it might be calling 'financial difficulties'.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
I don't think you're calling 'boondocking' what the folks experiencing it might be calling 'financial difficulties'.
Agreed.....or a place for heroine. Which needles need to be swept up around here.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:21 PM   #10

To answer the original question: Boondocking probably became a thing when the first caveman was kicked out of the cave.

I’ll abstain from the rest of the conversation about, homeless, bums, urban blight and politicians.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:22 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There's a simple answer to all of this: Tolerate it and it will continue or not tolerate it and it won't. Be diligent with law enforcement- call every time you see junked rv's parked where they shouldn't be..keep calling until they're removed. Let these people know that this is not a sanctuary- no matter what local governing forces are inclined to do. Be vocal with your representatives and let then know you care about your communities. This is NOT the new normal.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuquala View Post

Brand new 417 site CG just opened in August....sites available

Several other CGs in area....sites available

One only needs to LOOK/do a little research

Folks 'parking' on side of highways are NOT interested in a CG.
They are 'stealth' campers. They feel they have the RIGHT to do as they please
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
They are 'stealth' campers. They feel they have the RIGHT to do as they please
It's BLM land open to the public and they HAVE the RIGHT to camp on it. There are usually limits on the duration, typically 14 days.
Jlo11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlo11111 View Post
It's BLM land open to the public and they HAVE the RIGHT to camp on it. There are usually limits on the duration, typically 14 days.
I would guess the OP is describing homeless. Not campers in BLM. They have the right to camp. 14 up to 30 days then relocate. Not junk RVs that need tarps to keep rain out and black tanks leaking on the streets otlr dumping in the rain run off grates.
I'm gathering from my personal experience where I live is that these RVs are dilapidated RVs and could not legal be on the read, or in any camp ground.
If I can I'll upload some photos to give examples.

I'm betting that these people on the side of the road is the same thing we deal with here.

Tags
boondocking, boondock