Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2019, 08:39 AM   #1

Where to find water?

Just got a TT. And reading thru the manual under the tips section it said to try and find water closer to your destination for fuel savings and ease of towing. My question is where in the world are you going.to find water at a destination you have never been to? Any ideas on places to consider would be appreciated. Rv dump locations would be one to try but some don't have potable water and I am not sure how to locate them anyway.
Mlmihlfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2019, 08:43 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlmihlfried View Post
Just got a TT. And reading thru the manual under the tips section it said to try and find water closer to your destination for fuel savings and ease of towing. My question is where in the world are you going.to find water at a destination you have never been to? Any ideas on places to consider would be appreciated. Rv dump locations would be one to try but some don't have potable water and I am not sure how to locate them anyway.
We travel with 1/3 fresh water tank for roadside emergencies and the just in case if our destination water is down. If going to a campground....call and see if they do. If there is no way of knowing, fill the tank and go. We always carry drinking water with us. Onboard we only use for rinsing, showers and flushing....each to their own[emoji2]
Old 06-09-2019, 09:12 AM   #3

Just use a search engine and put in rv dump stations here are just a couple.
https://www.rvdumps.com/
https://www.sanidumps.com/

Water.. gas stations, visitor centers, community areas, dump stations, rv parks, state parks, NF campgrounds, fair grounds, rest areas. Some times you just have to think outside the box.
Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:39 AM   #4

I carry about 1/3 tank of fresh water for the same reasons 1st-tt2018 mentioned. I try to plan as much ahead of time as possible when making a trip. All my fuel stops, where I will get water, etc. It doesn't mean I won't deviate from it if needed, just helps remove stress for me if I have a plan from the beginning.

The links Itinerant1 posted are a great resource and I can usually find a truck stop or someplace with water fairly close to my destination and fill up there if I will need that much water. Plan plenty of time for the drive and stops and you will be surprised all of the places you can find water along the way. Have an alternate water stop too just in case water is temporarily unavailable for some reason. That has happened to me.

We also only use the onboard water for showers, dishes, etc. and drink bottled water. I don't care if Flying J says their water is potable, I'm not drinking it.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:39 AM   #5

Travel with 1/3 tank then find a Flying J, Loves or similar truck stop with a dump station. There are plenty of places to get water you just have to go in and ask.

I have ended up at the site with low tanks but I carry a collapsible 60 gallon water bladder. I get set into camp, go fill the bladder then come back and pump it into my tank.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:49 PM   #6

Every building in the US has a water spigot somewhere on the outside. Stop in front of any house and go to the door with $10 in hand. They'll gladly let you have 50 gallons if water.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:11 PM   #7

Here are some more suggestions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowsing

http://rvlife.com/freshwater-for-dry-camping/

We boondocked/dry camped for 16 years 95% of the time & never had a problem finding water.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:41 PM   #8

If we are going to a really remote place and will arrive late after a long drive, I fill my tank all the way at home so that we don't have to stop and fill in the dark. But that does hurt the mpg a little and is hard on the suspension.

Usually, we fill it a third at home and then fill all the way at a campground when we are closer to our destination. Be sure to carry a Water Thief or a Water Bandit in case the faucets are not threaded.

I am suspicious of the potable water at dumpsites -- maybe I am being too cautious.

If you want to fill at a ranger station, first buy a map. (They love when you do that.) And then ask permission.

Good luck, and keep asking questions!!
profdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:47 PM   #9

We're on a 900 day stretch right now of continous boondocking and finding water has not been a problem but as suggested we do have a 60 gallon water bladder for an easy refill.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
Every building in the US has a water spigot somewhere on the outside. Stop in front of any house and go to the door with $10 in hand. They'll gladly let you have 50 gallons if water.
Tip.... Look for a house with a camper or MH.
Offfishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offfishn View Post
Tip.... Look for a house with a camper or MH.
Good idea. Never thought of that.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinerant1 View Post
We're on a 900 day stretch right now of continous boondocking and finding water has not been a problem but as suggested we do have a 60 gallon water bladder for an easy refill.

Just curious where you found a 60 gallon Bladder? The biggest I've seen is 45 gallon from CW.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:34 AM   #13

I had a 30 gallon orginally to start and put 2,000+ gallons through it. After folding it (2 1/2+ years) started to weep some water not much but showing that it was time to replace it. This time we went with the 60 gallon seeing the price difference was so small and giving the option to carry more water capacity. Both from this company. I liked the first one so went with them again. I do use a heavy duty tarp and wrap it like a taco when filling/ traveling with it to protect it some.

https://aquaflex.net/aquatank2.html
Old 06-13-2019, 10:28 AM   #14

AQUATANK2 Water Storage Bladder... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009ONFDEM...p_mob_ap_share
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water