Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2020, 12:15 PM   #1

Wind Generators

Why not?
Seems like a simple solution to supplement a solar setup. Could you have both without it taking a 8 year graduate of solar and wind technology to make it work?

I'm just throwing this out there because I'm curious about a wind generator.
A friend had one on a very remote hunting cabin and it worked well . We had lights , satellite TV, Pump setup similar to an RV for water. It all ran off the wind.
Bowtie Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2020, 12:47 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
It can be a good supplement to solar. takes a pretty good wind to work. There are some new designs that work fairly well and aren't too expensive. Nice if you are staying for awhile and can set up transportable tower of some tyoe. Are pretty noisy. Lots of YouTube videos on them.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:04 PM   #3

I moored in Boot Key Harbor for 7 years.

As time went on, wind generators were taken down and replace with solar panels.

The wind generators were noisy and very sensitive to vibration. We could hear them on boats anchored 3 boats away.

The smallest chip in a blade set them off, creating a vibration thruout the hull.

In storm conditions they needed to be tied off to prevent overspeed.

Most list their max output at 20 MPH winds. Doesn't sound like much but a steady 20 MPH wind is actually a pretty strong wind.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:59 PM   #4

Yep, vibration mounting and storage is an issue

When you get a solar system that works, you forget about all the problems. I get full from solar even on a cloudy/overcast day.
Old 09-29-2020, 03:23 PM   #5

Newer technologies allow lower start-up speeds, less noise, and they'll actually apply the brakes when wind speeds get too high.
The problem is that they're HUGE. For a cabin, you can just put up a big pole and leave it there, but in an RV, disassembling your rotor every time to fit into your storage is a pain.

Solar is obviously a great option, but you need a lot of it to be sufficient for long-term boondocking, especially in varying weather, where you may need heater or AC, or may have several days of cloudy or rainy weather, where your solar won't recharge your batteries fully. More battery capacity helps, but you want to recharge them too, which takes longer, the more battery capacity you have to fill back up...

I am keeping my eyes open for something I can "somewhat" easily take down and put in a storage bay (the vertical type seems best for this), but most come from China and are garbage.

And that's the biggest issue now, so much worthless stuff pouring in from China (Alibaba, AliExpress, ...) claiming 400-1000W, but under testing seems to yield 4-5W of power... May be a bad setup, but likely the actual generator used in these kits is just not good.
Alina-Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:31 PM   #6

I’ve seen them used in the storage yard where I used to park to keep batteries charged. It’s an alternative to pulling the batteries out for the winter as solar doesn’t work too well in a couple feet of snow and we usually have some wind here in the foothills.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:38 AM   #7

Wind generator example

We saw this Travato at Crazy Horse Memorial earlier this month. Wind generator plus solar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200916_112952.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	559.9 KB
ID:	302865  
Rocky ARV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:02 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Too windy for me...

When I looked into them years ago they required a hefty wind to spin them at a rate that produced serious amperage. I bought a third solar panel instead.
Also if it is going to be that windy I'm not hanging around anyway.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:19 PM   #9

Solar's the best overall!! Trying to rely on wind is iffy; plus the noise. Even on cloudy days our solar kept the batteries up. We even stayed in Glacier Nat'l Park in 5 days of rain and still had solar working.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:09 PM   #10

Seems a solution in search of a problem. Our new 21' ORV has two 170 watt panels that are more than sufficient. That said we haven't tried using them in the Pacific Northwest in November. That's why we also have a genny. Seems like setting up a windmill would be a PITA.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:17 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just saw this out today, completely different design and designed to work in low air speeds. Not quite a product to buy yet, but look easier to do than solar and works when the sun is not shining, like at night.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...fe-wind-energy

And a news article about it, but you can get all the info on the kickstarter page

https://www.euronews.com/living/amp/...e-in-the-world
GypsyCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:18 PM   #12

That thing is bigger then a oil drum. Not real portable.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2020-10-01-20-16-31.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	303019
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, generators, wind