Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2016, 11:09 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wind Turbine

Does anyone tap into good old old fashioned wind power? We are interested in what equipment you use and if you'd buy it again. Thank you!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2016, 11:43 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The wind may not always blow, but the sun always comes up.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:28 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
The wind may not always blow, but the sun always comes up.
Unless you live in the northeast. We can have weeks...sometimes months of cloud cover during the late fall or winter. I have both and intend on using both. I'm going to add as much solar as I can but will have the wind generator for supplementing purposes. Last week we had so much wind here I would have had to of feathered the WG. On the boat the wind device was just part of the background noises, I don't want those background noises so I'm solidly leaning to hook all of this up on the TV.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:46 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I think you will see that I didn't say someone should not have wind. Both sources can work together, but folks usually go solar alone or first because of the relative simplicity: set it and mostly forget it. Many folks don't even tilt their panels to optimize collection.

When I was in Quartzsite, I saw a wind generator blow down. I also saw a couple of portable solar panels get blown over. One of my panels got blown over and shattered, but I worked with my credit card issuer for the insurance policy they had to replace it.

Also, solar panels can still collect energy in cloud cover. The wind does not always blow. I cal the Portland OR area, specifically the washington side east of the metro area, my home, and the wind is not always blowing in the Columbia River Gorge. I know a handful of folks there that use wind for power supplementation, but they rely on solar first.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:15 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
I think you will see that I didn't say someone should not have wind. Both sources can work together, but folks usually go solar alone or first because of the relative simplicity: set it and mostly forget it. Many folks don't even tilt their panels to optimize collection.

When I was in Quartzsite, I saw a wind generator blow down. I also saw a couple of portable solar panels get blown over. One of my panels got blown over and shattered, but I worked with my credit card issuer for the insurance policy they had to replace it.

Also, solar panels can still collect energy in cloud cover. The wind does not always blow. I cal the Portland OR area, specifically the washington side east of the metro area, my home, and the wind is not always blowing in the Columbia River Gorge. I know a handful of folks there that use wind for power supplementation, but they rely on solar first.
My intention is the same, but solar gain being deminished on angle, heavy cloud cover and potential snow/ice the smart play is some supplemental wind.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:50 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We will have 360 watts of solar but would like to include wind too. We are often in the windiest city in America, Amarillo Texas. We live outside of DFW and we have 20 Mph gusts now. I just think they'll work beautifully together. What manufacturers are you both confident with? Good news on having your CC company replace it!
Old 12-18-2016, 12:22 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Have you ever heard one of the little turbines? They can get pretty loud when the wind is blowing pretty good. I would not want one parked near me
Old 12-18-2016, 02:47 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
No, I haven't.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:12 PM   #9

I live on my boat, in a mooring field, 4 to 6 months a year. Boats with wind generators are all around me, some about 60 feet away.

I hear them but not loud. Once the wind picks up to 20 + MPH, they start to get louder. That is also the speed when they start to produce any usable power.

So before you buy a wind generator, mounting pole and swivel, check the specs and wind data, where your traveling.

If you plan to put up and take down your wind generator, keep in mind that a single chip in the blade will make it shake like it's about to come apart.

In storms, most owners tie the blades down rather then risk them spinning to fast.

I'm in the FL Keys with only typical 15 knot winds but most cruisers have them for the Bahamas and beyond, due to the stronger winds.

Although wind generators were what was avalable, back a few years, they all now also have added solar.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 04:31 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMTurner74 View Post
Does anyone tap into good old old fashioned wind power? We are interested in what equipment you use and if you'd buy it again. Thank you!
I have read of one. Just one.. Wind power for RVers is not all that practical because you need a fairly large device, which makes it hard to carry, They do make 'em, but some folks complain they are noisy.. They also do not like trees (Wind breaks) all that much,, Solar is far more popular. Zero noise and though shade is not liked by Solar,,, Well, you can often find a "Sunny" parking spot.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:36 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I ran into this new wind system/type through an investment newsletter, looked pretty good. Interesting at a minimum.

http://icewind.is/en/

icewind – Calculator
RobbyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 05:26 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I want to try it. WindyNation sells some kits.
2015 Winnebago Minnie 2101DS travel trailer & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts of WindyNation solar (parallel) with MPPT controller, 2 Trojan T-125s, TALL flagpole and a great attitude…SoCal based. Perfer USFS, BLM, COE, USF&WS, NPS & state park campgrounds.
LarryW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:06 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I want to try it too. Something that you can easily disassemble when not in use would be great.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:24 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Like some of the others, I've been around these on boats (nearly always sailboats), they are surprisingly loud. It's a somewhat high pitched sound. I THINK the noisiest part is the actual generator, rather than the sound of the fan blades spinning - though that's clearly audible also.
I would think that having a quiet camp ground conversation while sitting near one of those would be hard to do. None of this is to say that I'm against them in any way, just don't operate on the assumption that they'll be quiet power for you.

If you live in a part of the country/world where this is possible, wander down to a nearby marina to see if you can find one in use, then you'll know for sure what they are like.