Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2016, 11:37 AM   #71

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That's a pity. Sounds like you desire to be a good neighbor, but your husband seems to have other priorities. I make no other judgements about him, I don't know anything more about him. Park away from the circle or line of rigs, find other ways to cool down, make some kind of portable box to make the noise more tolerable, etc. :(

If someone has a quieter gennie nearby, ask if you can use theirs somehow?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2016, 02:13 PM   #72
Community Moderator

Yes, that generator is loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
In Kansas, it can be in the 90's + at night in August... this is mostly when we do this. We have tried to use a DC fan, but it just isn't big enough and drains the battery pretty fast.

A small inverter generator will run whisper quiet at night and will power any fan you want....even a powerful box fan. I'm thinking run your big noisy generator to run the AC till about 8pm or so.....should be cool in the TT by then.....then switch to the little quiet generator for overnight use....running fans inside to keep you comfortable.

If it's low humidity outside a "swamp cooler" using water and a fan could work well.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:30 PM   #73

Monaco Owners Club
While the vibration and noise is because of what you bought...
A large TALL box around your genny, open at the top to direct the sound UP may help, but the vibration is there to stay unless you put some isolators on the mounting points of the genny...

you could get some sound deadening like na engine blanket if you want to go a bit more,
like so --> http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...g+hood+blanket
Old 01-27-2016, 10:11 AM   #74

While I understand everyone's concerns about loud generators, not everyone can afford a Honda generator. Also, speaking personally. I don't go on vacation to worry about what my neighbors might think regarding my generator, especially if I'm dry camping! Being in an rv Park is a different story.
JParcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:07 AM   #75

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Is it a matter of economics, or preference and priorities?

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:56 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by JParcic View Post
While I understand everyone's concerns about loud generators, not everyone can afford a Honda generator. Also, speaking personally. I don't go on vacation to worry about what my neighbors might think regarding my generator, especially if I'm dry camping! Being in an rv Park is a different story.
I felt the Hondas and Yamahas were way over priced, but wanted the peace and quiet of an inverter generator.
In the 2000 watt class, I found Smarter Tools AP-2000iQ available at Costco and Walmart for $600. You would need two to run your AC. It has the Yamaha engine.
In the 3000 watt class which can run your AC, I recommend the Champion 75531i on sale for around $800 at many places. Let your Google do the walking.
I bought the Smarter Tools for its light weight and ability to power tools around my home. If only I could sell one of my good friends on one. LOL
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:55 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
I felt the Hondas and Yamahas were way over priced, but wanted the peace and quiet of an inverter generator.
In the 2000 watt class, I found Smarter Tools AP-2000iQ available at Costco and Walmart for $600. You would need two to run your AC. It has the Yamaha engine.
In the 3000 watt class which can run your AC, I recommend the Champion 75531i on sale for around $800 at many places. Let your Google do the walking.
I bought the Smarter Tools for its light weight and ability to power tools around my home. If only I could sell one of my good friends on one. LOL
I should have clarified, I do have a Cummins Onan in our Stryker toy Hauler, and it's quiet. Thank you for the info though. 😉😀
JParcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:22 AM   #78

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
$649 on Amazon, with free shipping available to Prime members.
http://amzn.com/B00K2YDPU6

The Honda and Yamaha products might be way overpriced until you need one repaired. Where does a Smarter Tools gennie owner take their product for repairs?
Old 01-28-2016, 08:29 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post

The Honda and Yamaha products might be way overpriced until you need one repaired. Where does a Smarter Tools gennie owner take their product for repairs?
It has a Yamaha engine on it, so I'd take it to a Yamaha dealer, or any small engine repair place.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:56 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Yes, I usually buy from Amazon, but I got mine for $600 from Walmart and free shipping by picking up at the store. I did have to pay the 6% sales tax though.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:58 PM   #81

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
It has a Yamaha engine on it, so I'd take it to a Yamaha dealer, or any small engine repair place.
The engine isn't the only thing that can go wrong.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:08 PM   #82

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JParcic View Post
I should have clarified, I do have a Cummins Onan in our Stryker toy Hauler, and it's quiet.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:41 PM   #83

I try to be sensitive to others when running my generator so I'm interested in the opinion of others in the thread. When dry camping I utilize battery battery power primarily but do run the generator (an enclosed Onan 3600LP... not particularly loud, but a generator is a generator...) for approx 2 hours a day (usually from 6-8 pm) to both prepare dinner and charge the battery bank (I have installed a high-current charging system to minimize generator runtime but I do need at least some daily charging.)

Would this pattern of usage be considered objectionable by most?

And an interesting side note... I also have a Honda eu2000 which I expected to be the quietest option, and at low loads/low speeds it is. But when run near full load it is actually somewhat louder (perceived, not measured) than the Onan 3600. Surprised me, but true.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:33 PM   #84

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Running a 2000 watt gennie at or right under its max output would make it loud, and could make it louder than a 4000 watt gennie being run at half it's output.

6-8 pm seems very reasonable to me. I usually slide into bed between 9-10, but I know others go to bed much earlier than that. Guess it doesn't hurt to talk to any neighbors and see what they might say. I talk to my camping neighbors when I can and tell them that I turn mine off my no later than 9, on no earlier than 7, see what they think of that.

Tags
generator