Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:21 PM   #43

JohnQ ...

Same story here. I've been fussing with their run-around for a couple of years just to get recognized as having applied. After the recent flap in DC hit the fan, I got a phone call that I'm scheduled for my very first medical appointment ... coming up this Saturday !! Today they told me I have to come in before then to have blood drawn. Going into the clinic tomorrow AM for that.

This is a shock because my normal experience has been that the VA can't locate my application, nor do they have any record of me.

We shall see how long the fire burns under their bureaucratic tails, however. I'll report back here on this thread when I get my VA identification card.

As to my disability benefits application, I have no idea about its status except I know they have my application along with a hefty pile of supporting documentation.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2014, 05:14 PM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Moonrover,

Have you been able to get access to ebenefits? At least that way you would know if your claim is in the system. For those talking about back pay, it is an entire separate claim. One that I have been waiting on for well over a year. They told me there was a "temporary" back log of claims.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:58 PM   #45

Today was my first experience with a VA clinic, even though it was only for a blood draw as a precursor to Saturday's physical. Lots of vets in the waiting room, and a green "don't go beyond" line to keep us at bay. Had to wait for the monotone voice call out "NEXT". Once I advanced to that magic point, I was asked for my VA card. Huh? I don't have one. That's the reason I'm here ... to start that process. Monotone voice said, "Photo ID". The fat lady at the desk never looked up, just took my drivers license, typed some info, handed me a plastic jar, and said "Restroom to the left". Super. I knew what to do and returned soon with "sample". Monotone voice said "Sit in waiting room".

Forty minutes later I heard my last name barked out from an open doorway. Never saw who belonged to the voice. I entered the room where there were a few arm chairs obviously for patients to sit while having blood drawn. A fat lady showed up, pointed to a chair ... "SIT". Not one word from this lady who just went about drawing five vials of blood, put a bandaid on the little needle hole, and walked away.

Sweet, friendly place! I can hardly wait for my physical on Saturday. 😑
Old 06-12-2014, 07:08 PM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover
Today was my first experience with a VA clinic, even though it was only for a blood draw as a precursor to Saturday's physical. Lots of vets in the waiting room, and a green "don't go beyond" line to keep us at bay. Had to wait for the monotone voice call out "NEXT". Once I advanced to that magic point, I was asked for my VA card. Huh? I don't have one. That's the reason I'm here ... to start that process. Monotone voice said, "Photo ID". The fat lady at the desk never looked up, just took my drivers license, typed some info, handed me a plastic jar, and said "Restroom to the left". Super. I knew what to do and returned soon with "sample". Monotone voice said "Sit in waiting room".

Forty minutes later I heard my last name barked out from an open doorway. Never saw who belonged to the voice. I entered the room where there were a few arm chairs obviously for patients to sit while having blood drawn. A fat lady showed up, pointed to a chair ... "SIT". Not one word from this lady who just went about drawing five vials of blood, put a bandaid on the little needle hole, and walked away.

Sweet, friendly place! I can hardly wait for my physical on Saturday. dde11
All that glitters isn't gold....
Your foot is in the door. Mine has been in since 1977 - and at same center now for many years. I can call and talk to folks about when old so and so retired. Keep the faith brother. When the dust settles - hopefully you will be treated fairly. I have been. Think back to your first day of induction. They were pretty memorable too!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:29 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
Moonrover,

Have you been able to get access to ebenefits? At least that way you would know if your claim is in the system. ....

I received a letter in the mail that said my application had been received. It said for me to get a password from E-Benefits. That was confusing to say the least since it kept asking me to correct the address entries. After shortening my street address, it finally moved to next screens. Yes ... I do have access to the web page, but it only confirms what the letter said ... my application has been received. No hint as to how long this process will be. At least I feel like I've graduated from the "We can't find you in the system". That was about two years of bureaucratic constipation.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
.... Think back to your first day of induction. They were pretty memorable too!

"Turn your head and cough" 😆
Old 06-12-2014, 07:42 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
The hangings need to go a lot higher up the ladder than they are right now.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover

"Turn your head and cough" dde06
The square needle in the left nad.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:07 PM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Does anyone know anything about Chanute AFB and AO? I ran across this article, and of course no one at the VA will talk to me about it, nor will anyone at the AF. Both have told folks who went through there if they develop a symptom to make an appointment. http://www.rantoulpress.com/news/env...rmer-base.html
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #52
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In a sweet gentle voice it might be time to think of starting some separate threads with some of these subjects that would make for interesting reading on their own.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:04 PM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi All,
I have a similiar question as busyguy.I served in Okinawa at Camp Foster in the Motor Pool from July 68 until April 69.I had to come home on emergency leave and didn't have to go back.We rebuilt alot of vehicles from Nam.They was always a mess.My question is do you all think I could have been exsposed to AO.I had Prostate Cancer 5yrs ago and 7yrs ago I started having ringing in my ears and it goes 24/7.I was approved in the VA system April 26th. and had blood work done last Friday and saw the DR. yesterday but,nothing was said about AO.He said everything was good but,I think sometimes they say what they think you want to hear.PLEASE tell me what you all think and just let me say THANK ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:05 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaw.1 View Post
Hi All,
I have a similiar question as busyguy.I served in Okinawa at Camp Foster in the Motor Pool from July 68 until April 69.I had to come home on emergency leave and didn't have to go back.We rebuilt alot of vehicles from Nam.They was always a mess.My question is do you all think I could have been exsposed to AO.I had Prostate Cancer 5yrs ago and 7yrs ago I started having ringing in my ears and it goes 24/7.I was approved in the VA system April 26th. and had blood work done last Friday and saw the DR. yesterday but,nothing was said about AO.He said everything was good but,I think sometimes they say what they think you want to hear.PLEASE tell me what you all think and just let me say THANK ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE.

You might look into researching what some Navy vets are attempting to do with reference to offshore repair shops that were not actually in Nam, but worked on equipment that had been there. Sounds like a case similar to yours. I wish I could recall who the retired Admiral is that was interviewed about this. He is a strong voice, attempting to lobby for recognition of vets who more than likely had AO exposure but were not actually in Nam.

Now as to your high frequency hearing loss, it could be service connected due to exposure to loud engine testing, or whatever. That does not have to have been in combat. Just going through basic training and being subjected to training explosions ruined a lot of ears.

Do you have contact with a VA rep or advocate? Possibly a VFW, or American Legion rep? If so ask to get at least the hearing loss disability claim started, then work on the AO angle if the VA will listen to cases for non in-country situations.

Good luck brother. Seems like you and I are about at the same stage of the process. Foot in the door.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:12 PM   #55

Well, this morning (Friday the Thirteenth) I had base line Agent Orange physical conducted by a Nurse Practioneer. Had to fill our yet another multi-page form & due to my CIDP Neuropathy yhat is quite a shakey chore. Started on time (SURPRISE!!!!), lasted an hour, & I was out the door (ESCAPED). I understand a "Real Doctor" from the "Centralized Soviet Style Seattle VA Hq." will be calling me in the next 3 business days with follow up questions.

FYI, I have neen a 20%'er since 1971, this AO stuff will/possibly in addition to if it comes to past. The Nurse Practioneer says to me as I go out the door, "well you are now ESTABLISHED." That can scare the crap outta me - maybe.
JohnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:34 PM   #56

Interesting thread....some points that weren't presented....
1. Different regions have significantly different processing times from receiving an application to completion. Example, the Louisville, Ky regional office takes about 6~9 months to process a claim but if you live across the river in southern Indiana your claim goes to Indianapolis. Their processing time is on the order of 18~24 months. Pheonix has a wait time in excess of 3 years to complete a claim. The excuse given is the number of claims but I'm not sure I can buy into that excuse 100%.
2. Keep in mind VA math when it comes to disability award and payments. I show 70% disability by anyone else's math but 60% via VA figuring. Their system makes it very, very difficult to total 100% unless you have a golden condition that warrants a 100% rating by itself. If you have an award of say 60% and receive an additional 10% you will not realize any monetary increase as the additional 10% is figured as 10% of 40% (the remainder of 100% -60%) or a 4% increase. .... from 60% to 64%.... Since you would need to go OVER 65% to get bumped to 70% for pay purposes it would take a 20% increase to realize a 10% increase in pay. Confusing, huh? With the VA's math it's like Zeno's paradox....each % increase isn't cumulative but a % of the remainder. Kinda sucks, right? But what would you expect from the government?
Old Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote