Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:09 AM   #29

I'm beginning to think that the primary qualification for a VA bureaucrat is the ability to put callers on hold or transfer to someone who is even better at putting you on hold.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #30

I was stationed in Thailand at Nakon Phanom from nov.67-nov68. Was in aircraft weapons and worked the whole flight line and made many trips to the bomb dump. 2 years ago I was diagnosed with stage 2 aggressive prostrate cancer. Had my prostrate removed and am doing great.
My question is has anyone ever filed an AO claim from having served in Thailand? The va office here said they had never been able to get one approved for service in Thailand.
I have started to collect all my paperwork but was just wondering if it is worth the effort. I am currently getting 10% for a head injury during my service.
Thanks to all who served and are still fighting the paper war.
Busyguy
busyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #31

busyguy, if you've got the time, I would say try it. Somebody has to be the first who served in Thailand. You may be the one to open the door for others. Maybe you will get another 10% which is a few gallons of fuel for the rig.
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #32

AO Claim

Thanks
Will get started on this asap. Maybe It will happen!
All of you who are dealing with the VA, Keep it up. It will help all of the veterans that are dealing with them now and in the future!
Busyguy
Old 09-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #33

Tip for you on the Thailand AO claim. Call it herbicide. Go to U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and do a search for Agent Orange. There is a ton of info on their site. Its winnable but you need to have your stuff in one sock.
VetRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #34

Vetrver
Thanks for the tip
Busyguy
Old 05-15-2014, 09:43 AM   #35

It has been a while since I posted on this thread so here is an update on my claim progress ... NO progress !! Two years of flailing around with "no record of you" excuses" and my rapid response of resubmitting. The VA people advise me to view their "helpful" U-tube videos which are a joke of PR schmoozing. How much longer can I stand being dragged down a road of denial and promises that they will "look into it"?

Background: I filed for acceptance into the VA medical system. I filed for compensation due to Agent Orange complications (two forms of cancer) as well as combat injuries, and hearing loss due to flying helicopters. Both applications take separate paths through numerous bureaucratic in/out boxes. I made so much ruckus over the excuses given that a VA rep (a senior manager) personally sat with me to look over yet another new application for medical care. A clean application according to the fellow, and a promise that I would get notification to come in for an initial physical. That was 13 months ago! I have been phoning the number for the senior VA manager but get sidetracked and sent to underlings, who of course know nothing about my application, nor can I be found in the records. No surprise there! Seems to be SOP. By the way, the senior manager was promoted and no longer available to handle such problems. Later, he retired.

Do any of you get the "we can't locate you in the system" runaround? I have ample advice and help from a veteran's organization, but they too can't figure out how to crack the system and get what should be a simple rubber stamp process in motion. In fairness, some fellows seem to apply and eventually get results. I can't believe that either the spelling of my name, or transposition of my service or SS numbers have confused the bureaucrats. Clearly, they DID get my service records because I have sent them copies three times. I'm getting so I walk around with a pile of copies in a folder waiting for the next bureaucrat to claim they have no record of my having been in the service.

What gets under my skin more now than at the start of the process is the VA portraying itself as caring and improving the process as well as clearing up the backlog. That's the story for the press, but vastly differs from reality.

So what am I planning to do? As in the game of dart tossing ... I will continue to aim at the target until a dart finally sticks.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:23 AM   #36
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I am so sorry to hear of those problems. I use the Houston VA, and now the Texas City satellite clinic.

From the get-go I have not had any problems with filing. I did use the DAV Rep at the Houston VA. Once I was interview by them I had to go back once to sign papers. They kept in contact with me via telephone with updates and questions. One year later I received VA notification that I was in the system and a check for "back pay," from the time I applied. I did not expect that and it was a nice surprise.

Don't give up.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:12 PM   #37

It is becoming apparent that "the system" varies in different parts of the country. Fellows that are signed up in Texas seem to have more efficient bureaucrats on the job. While sitting in the waiting room of our central Ohio VA office (many hours) I chat with the guys. Most are in my similar situation of being caught in the "Groundhog Day syndrome". After listening to their stories that include physical ailments, I come out of there feeling like I'm the poster boy of good health by comparison.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:55 PM   #38
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I understand. Don't get me wrong. The application process for me was a no brainer. Fill out forms and wait a year. I had to go back for re-evaluation when other Agent Orange symptoms popped up. That was a visit here and a visit there to contract doctors for evaluation. They reported back the results and about 6 months later I was on their books with the new ailments.

Now when I had to go to the VA hospital in Houston, it was an all day affair. Show up around 7 a.m and be # 100 in line for blood work. Get out of blood work around 10 a.m. and have a 1:00 p.m. appointment. No time to go back home 40 miles, just not worth it so stick around the hospital and show up for the 1 p.m. appointment. Only the 1 p.m. appointment could be anywhere between 1 p.m and 4:30 p.m. and in my case it was usually the latter.

Now with the satellite clinics it is much nicer. Blood work is done a week before Dr. appointment, and done around 8-9 a.m. If the blood work appointment is for 8:15 a.m. I'm usually out by 8:30, 8:45 latest. The Dr. appointment is usually within 15 minutes of appointment time, and my Dr will take whatever time is need with me. Plus, it's only 6 miles from the house.

Yes, different areas are treated differently. I don't understand why. A survey visit by the big wigs should see the efficiency of the different areas and incorporate those efficiency into all areas. Like stated, bureaucracy at its finest.

Good luck.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:23 PM   #39

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just some info about Agent Orange. I am not sure if Agent Orange was developed in Canada but I do know that it was tested here and than shipped to the USA for use in Vietnam. A very short time ago I watched a documentary about the ill effects IE Cancer, that the people involved with it contracted.
This was quite a shock to me as I know about the sad effects that US military personal have.
It seems that the Canadian people who are effected have been putting in claims to the Canadian Gov. without any success. It seems there is a struggle on both sides of the border.
I just wish I could remember what program I was watching as this was in the past few months.
My heart goes out to the US service men who are suffering from this dreadful chemical.
Good Luck in your fight.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:08 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyguy View Post
I was stationed in Thailand at Nakon Phanom from nov.67-nov68. Was in aircraft weapons and worked the whole flight line and made many trips to the bomb dump. 2 years ago I was diagnosed with stage 2 aggressive prostrate cancer. Had my prostrate removed and am doing great.
My question is has anyone ever filed an AO claim from having served in Thailand? The va office here said they had never been able to get one approved for service in Thailand.
I have started to collect all my paperwork but was just wondering if it is worth the effort. I am currently getting 10% for a head injury during my service.
Thanks to all who served and are still fighting the paper war.
Busyguy
The VA should be ashamed in giving us Vets only 10%=$125.00 a month! You would think 30% should be the minimum the way the VA does their math? Maybe with all the changes coming out of Washington things will change. Don't hold your breath thou.

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:59 PM   #41

I've been trying since the first of the year to get a base line AO Physical. The VA has been successful in ignoring me just as long until the You Know What hit the Political Fan lately. They fell all over themslves scheduling me in this Friday. I'll post how it goes. Victor Charlie was a pansy compared to VA Bureaucrats.
JohnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:50 PM   #42

This thread disgusts me. I want to thank you all for your service, apologize for the health issues you have had and hope along side you that the issues with the VA get resolved ASAP. I will be writing my representatives in Washington.