Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:16 PM   #113

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
So very sorry to hear that Moonrover, very sorry.
Good luck Friend.
X 3 my Friend.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2015, 01:27 AM   #114

Moonrover, it is very important that you either study the VA rating system or get a DAV (or other) knowledgable rep for your case. Kidney cancer isn't on the AO list, but just because cancer is in a kidney doesn't mean it is kidney cancer. Prostate cancer sometimes goes to the kidney. There are soft tissue sarcoma's covered on the A0 list. Veterans' Diseases Associated with Agent Orange - Public Health

In reading through your journey as outlined on this thread, it appears you haven't understood how the VA Medical side is different than the VA Disability Claims side. The claim will trigger an exam about the claim and additional medical files from the medical side won't be added unless you request it to be added.

You are best served by getting your claim on file, then when the documentation is asked for submitted it all together (with your name & file number on each page). When anything is added once that initial gathering of info phase is done, it starts the wait time over again for the the assigned agent to review the claim.

Each claim will be evaluated on you presenting symptoms and if service connected.

If you have cancer (AO related) when you file your claim, you should get 100% rating. Approximately 6 months to a year after treatment there is a 2nd exam. If you have side effects from the surgery/treatment, you could then receive a % rating for them. You don't get anything for having had cancer. If your cancer is diagnosed as returned, you have to refile the claim and you would receive a 100% rating.

The most common side effects have to do with urinary problems post treatment:
This didn't copy well, but you can check 38 CFR (Code of Fed. Regs.) for specifics.

Voiding dysfunction:
Rate particular condition as urine leakage, frequency, or obstructed voiding
Continual Urine Leakage, Post Surgical Urinary Diversion, Urinary Incontinence, or Stress Incontinence:
Requiring the use of an appliance or the wearing of absorbent materials which must be changed more than 4 times per day 60
Requiring the wearing of absorbent materials which must be changed 2 to 4 times per day 40
Requiring the wearing of absorbent materials which must be changed less than 2 times per day 20
Urinary frequency:
Daytime voiding interval less than one hour, or; awakening to void five or more times per night 40
Daytime voiding interval between one and two hours, or; awakening to void three to four times per night 20
Daytime voiding interval between two and three hours, or; awakening to void two times per night 10
Obstructed voiding:
Urinary retention requiring intermittent or continuous catheterization 30
Marked obstructive symptomatology (hesitancy, slow or weak stream, decreased force of stream) with any one or combination of the following:
1. Post void residuals greater than 150 cc.
2. Uroflowmetry; markedly diminished peak flow rate (less than 10 cc/sec).
3. Recurrent urinary tract infections secondary to obstruction.
4. Stricture disease requiring periodic dilatation every 2 to 3 months 10
Obstructive symptomatology with or without stricture disease requiring dilatation 1 to 2 times per year 0

The doctors doing the compensation exams use forms like the one at this link for neck/spinal problems (different forms for different ailments):

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA...60M-13-ARE.pdf
The doctor will make a judgment that the ailment "is more likely than not service connected" and you win... if they don't find it service connected, you'll probably lose.

Your explanation was you were denied on the cancer, because it is gone. If you have problems related to the treatment, ask for reevaluation on those problems (needing pads or getting up several times during the night to void)

Several people have suggested you get documentation of the aviation crashes and you mentioned service awards mentioning them. You need any and all of that to prove the service connection. If they weren't considered initially, you need to ask for reevaluation for this claim too.

I'm no expert, but I have done all the paperwork for my vet husbands successful claims. The VA's site has gotten much more user friendly in the last 8 years, but various vet forums have a wealth of information for you to draw from. Get help, but no one knows your case better than you, so keep up being your own advocate.

Wishing you the best luck with treatment and the claims bureaucracy.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:05 AM   #115

I hear this a lot from other brothers and sister filling that their not being hear. and now now the VA is just hammered.
I do agree with others get a rep. whether it be DAV, VFW... the list goes on. go to www.myhealth.va.gov and there is a link there of different groups that are available to represent you.
I know we're getting a little more seasoned (some call it old)but I would try to reach out there to contact any crew members that are still with us. Another way is to try Google or other search engines on the internet. just try typing in your unite or ask a question. the reactionary team that was scene, were you flying support for a ground operation. Though are just couple ideas. Stay strong my friend
On the other side of the VA not the medical side you can request a copy of your military records at least you could in the early 80's. I did and it Had a lot of black lines going through it. The reason I mention this is because it will also tell you what operations you were a part of.
guestPacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:09 PM   #116
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Beyond,

Great write-up.

Thank you.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:27 PM   #117

Getting service records

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestPacer View Post

On the other side of the VA not the medical side you can request a copy of your military records at least you could in the early 80's. I did and it Had a lot of black lines going through it. The reason I mention this is because it will also tell you what operations you were a part of.
Great suggestion, review what they have of your service records to find any references to the crashes. It isn't from the VA though, here is a link:

Start Your Military Service Record (DD Form 214) Request

Some of the records are at no cost. I obtained a copy of my father's WWII era Navy records a couple of years ago. It cost about $60 for an approximate 1" stack of papers.

Good luck with everything!
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:56 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
Great suggestion, review what they have of your service records to find any references to the crashes. It isn't from the VA though, here is a link:

Start Your Military Service Record (DD Form 214) Request

Some of the records are at no cost. I obtained a copy of my father's WWII era Navy records a couple of years ago. It cost about $60 for an approximate 1" stack of papers.

Good luck with everything!
Just went on line and requested my father-in-laws and my Dads service records!
Thanks for the info!

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 03:29 PM   #119

I believe Bladder cancer is on the list. They saw a spot on my bladder while doing a MRI and the VA wanted to check it out with bladder exam.

Get help, DAV has done wonderful work for me and many others.

Semper Fi and Good luck in you quest..
Gunner
nkgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:19 PM   #120

yes I have. Was stationed in Udorn as a Military Working Dog Handler Security Police Sqdrn 432 SPS. I was given % for type 2 MD, % for nuropathy R&L lower limbs, Skin problems as well as ED. I also am getting 5 for hearing problems. I am also going to be claiming Eye problems. My overall 5 is 60% ( sorry for the bad medical spelling) all I ever did was lock folks up. They are now giving % for Thailand for flight line AC Mech. and for those who worked on the 123's that sprayed the AO crap. All of my claimes were covered under AO with the presumption Clause of 2010.Navy is now getting coverage and % for Blue Water AO exposure.
K9Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:36 AM   #121

A good site that will help you find more information about your claim.

Veterans Benefits Network Forums
nkgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:04 PM   #122

Great thread. Thanks guys!!
ThinBlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:40 AM   #123

Hey brothers and sister just received summer issues of "Agent Orange Newsletter" lots of good updated information and suggestions on claim.We have been discussing a lot of the topics many are questioning and resolved. Also here's theonline link to it:

www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/publications/index.asp

Semper Fi
guestPacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:59 PM   #124

Had a voice message on my answering machine from the VA while I was away today. A VA nurse wants to a do a phone interview on my AO claim. She said she would call back next week. Any suggestion on how to handle the interview? They have all paper work from my heart doctor already.

Stano
Old 10-16-2015, 11:15 PM   #125

Stano...Did she say what it was about? Did she say that she needed info on your clain or did she say she needs to give you a date for a C&P Exam? I'm a CSO for DAV and I have not had seen or been told of calls like this unless it was to set up a examination for a C&P on your claim. I would assume that a call would be for info needed for your clain and usually that is requested in writing. Not being a person who trusts the VA, I would be happier if I could accomplish everything in writing that way folks can not twist things around on you. When ever the FED requests info they usually do it in writing so I would take the call and listen to it carefully. If they ask to tape the call , if it were me I'd say I'm not comfortable in doing it that way unless you are going to send me a copy and have me verify what I said in writing before it becomes an official statement that will be used with my claim. I'd also tell them I rather do it in writing. Remember they already have your statement in writing, your documents of medical proof as well as doctors notes and such. Other than that just watch what you say and perhaps advise them you will also record the entire call before you make any statements. Just my advice to you!
PS remember what you wrote on this forum "They have all paper work from my heart doctor already". To me , if they have the claim and all the doctor reports why would they call you? Maybe if you were a doctor. If they need additional medical info that is a doctors job not yours as you are not trained to make medical statements , diagnosis or medical claims or give medical advice.
K9piper
K9Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:20 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Piper View Post
Stano...Did she say what it was about? Did she say that she needed info on your clain or did she say she needs to give you a date for a C&P Exam? I'm a CSO for DAV and I have not had seen or been told of calls like this unless it was to set up a examination for a C&P on your claim. I would assume that a call would be for info needed for your clain and usually that is requested in writing. Not being a person who trusts the VA, I would be happier if I could accomplish everything in writing that way folks can not twist things around on you. When ever the FED requests info they usually do it in writing so I would take the call and listen to it carefully. If they ask to tape the call , if it were me I'd say I'm not comfortable in doing it that way unless you are going to send me a copy and have me verify what I said in writing before it becomes an official statement that will be used with my claim. I'd also tell them I rather do it in writing. Remember they already have your statement in writing, your documents of medical proof as well as doctors notes and such. Other than that just watch what you say and perhaps advise them you will also record the entire call before you make any statements. Just my advice to you!
PS remember what you wrote on this forum "They have all paper work from my heart doctor already". To me , if they have the claim and all the doctor reports why would they call you? Maybe if you were a doctor. If they need additional medical info that is a doctors job not yours as you are not trained to make medical statements , diagnosis or medical claims or give medical advice.
K9piper
Thanks for the info! I am using the DAV this time to reapply for a increase in my 10% disability for AO exposure. I'll call the DAV office and see what they have to say on Monday.

Stano