Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:57 PM   #1

Am confused

Was under impression a Vietnam Vet was somebody that was in Vietnam with boots on the ground. Then was told that the B-52 aircrew was Vietnam vets cause they flew over Vietnam. They were out of Thailand or Guam. Was talking to a guy that was wearing a Vietnam Vet hat and I asked him where he was stationed and he said that he was on a Aircraft carrier in the gulf. Never had boots on ground. I know that some people that were in the military but never stationed in Vietnam were caught wearing Vietnam Vet hats and were told they cannot wear them.Can anybody give me the straight poop on this. Yes I was stationed in Vietnam at Phu Cat airbase. Just like to get it straight in my mind. Thanx
parcany2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2019, 12:45 AM   #2

I am a Vietnam Veteran.......
US NAVY on the 'gun line' lobbing 5" shells inland
Combat Duty Station....combat pay and FREE US Mail

Office of Personnel Management

.§ 307.101 Definitions.
(1) Veteran of the Vietnam era means an eligible veteran any part of whose active military, naval, or air service was during the Vietnam era

Also defined as:
Served active duty for a period of more than 180 days, any part of which occurred between August 5, 1964 and May 7, 1975, and was discharged or released with other than a dishonorable discharge.

Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:35 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Technically, and I'm not sure this is "official" or not, my understanding is that there are two categories of Vietnam veterans: "Vietnam Veterans", which usually means those who actually served in country: and "Vietnam Era Veterans, those who served anywhere and in any branch of the military from 1960 to 1975 (I think I got the start year correct).

I could be wrong but I think the distinction was created by the VA or other government agencies so they could deny certain compensations or worse, deny healthcare in certain situations, such as Agent Orange. As time goes on there seems to be less distinction between the two except perhaps bragging rights.

I'd be careful with opinions as to who deserves what status because although many were not actually based in Vietnam, many were directly involved in combat operations in one form or another. For instance B-52 crews based on Guam and flying daily missions over Hanoi and Hyphong Harbor. A lot of them were shot down during Rolling Thunder and Arc Light missions. Also Navy and Marine aircrews who flew off carriers and into some very hot combat zones. MANY of them were shot down (remember John McCain's story?). I wouldn't think of denying them Vietnam Veteran status.

Even those who served in country in support of the combat troops should not be marginalized. Many of them were killed or wounded when insurgents infiltrated the supposedly safe locations such as Saigon, Da Nang, etc.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:37 AM   #4

What's up with a question like that?
Did someone say you were not a vet?

Many served in war zones without having boots on the ground.

Especially us Navy guys. AF vets too.

We had lost 12 guys from a steam valve explosion on a ship in the opening days of the Gulf War. Believe me, they are considered "Gulf War Vets"

Hopefully this helps you figure this out?

Thank you for your service.
markandkim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:00 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I am a Vietnam Veteran. I was "in country" for about an hour in 1971. I was in Thailand from 1971 to 1975 repairing F-4 fighter aircraft doing 12 hour, 7 day work weeks. I have ALL the Vietnam medals that "In country" veterans have. I have Seven Outstanding Unit with Valor awards. I have Presidential Outstanding unit awards. The problem is with the VA who started the "in country" thing to deny benefits. Air Bases in Thailand were attacked by enemy troops. Agent Orange was used to defoliate the air base perimeter. I have stood in a air control tower armed with a M-16 to defend the tower from enemy attack. Yes we are Viet Nam Veterans!
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:05 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Vietnam Era means served anywhere during the war. Vietnam Vet means they served in the actual combat zone and were awarded the ribbon. The combat zone included ships and aircraft that entered into harms way, Thailand (especially way up north where the bases were subject to sapper attacks), and of course those of us that actually were in country. If your DD214 says you got the ribbon, wear it proudly. If you served in the Army Band in Panama, the public didn't know the difference and spit at you in the airport, but the honorable thing is to not claim a hero's badge.
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:25 AM   #7

"Thank you for your service"
Is the only thing I can draw on from my tenture in Vietnam...
I was 13B (mortars) going in, served as a 11B (infantryman) with C 3/21 196 Combat Bde.
Was in country, boots on the ground for 1 year & 6 days.
September 1967- October 1968...
Only drew 10% disability for malaria which I didn't get until my return stateside. After 12
months that too went away too.
When I applied for disability I was told I was not eligible???
That was in 1972. I have not tried again since then as I remember it was such a PITA .
My belief is that if you served during the war that makes you a wartime veteran no matter what, when or where you served.
I got shot, got hit with shrapnel more than once, was attached to the 3rd Marine Division for a time near the DMC.
Man! That all was a long time ago.....
Best of luck & Godspeed on all of your future endeavors....
Old 04-04-2019, 09:18 PM   #8

Ok let me go a little deeper. My wife was in the military during the Vietnam era but by VA standards is not a Vietnam Vet. cause she did not have boots on the ground. But I guess that she is considered a Vietnam Era vet. Yet with Va she does not get the same coverage that I do. I guess there so many different options that people have that there is not a one rule that fits everybody.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcany2 View Post
Ok let me go a little deeper. My wife was in the military during the Vietnam era but by VA standards is not a Vietnam Vet. cause she did not have boots on the ground. But I guess that she is considered a Vietnam Era vet. Yet with Va she does not get the same coverage that I do. I guess there so many different options that people have that there is not a one rule that fits everybody.
Nobody has ever questioned me about being a Vietnam vet. But I know people the have tried to be a Vietnam vet and never been in the military. The same with people that have service dogs. They deserve them and people take their house pet into places and say that they are service dogs and all they are is pets. Now around here in Casa Grande Az they are getting a little stricter about what dogs can go into a store. Did not mean to get off of the subject at hand about the dogs.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:45 PM   #10

Just a story (not mine) about the guy that grew up across the street from me. I guess he's a Vietnam Vet because he served in the Navy but I don't believe he ever set foot in country. Was he in harms way, you betcha. He was on one side of a bulkhead when some type of enemy fire hit his ship in the compartment behind his, it slammed the hatch shut. The guy behind him didn't make it. So does he deserve to be called a Vietnam Vet, in my book he does.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcany2 View Post

Did you 'retire' from the service?

Do you have 'service connected disability?

Did she?

VA Benefits for Vietnam Veterans

Vietnam Veterans may be eligible for a wide-variety of benefits available to all U.S. military Veterans.

VA benefits include disability compensation, pension, education and training, health care, home loans, insurance, vocational rehabilitation and employment and
burial
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I am a Vietnam Veteran.......
US NAVY on the 'gun line' lobbing 5" shells inland
Combat Duty Station....combat pay and FREE US Mail

Office of Personnel Management

.§ 307.101 Definitions.
(1) Veteran of the Vietnam era means an eligible veteran any part of whose active military, naval, or air service was during the Vietnam era

Also defined as:
Served active duty for a period of more than 180 days, any part of which occurred between August 5, 1964 and May 7, 1975, and was discharged or released with other than a dishonorable discharge.

Just want to say thank you to old biscuit.
I was on the ground and we sure did appreciate those incoming 5" rounds.
No telling how many lives they saved.
So "Thank you" for your service .....
Old 04-05-2019, 08:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Did you 'retire' from the service?

Do you have 'service connected disability?

Did she?

VA Benefits for Vietnam Veterans

Vietnam Veterans may be eligible for a wide-variety of benefits available to all U.S. military Veterans.

VA benefits include disability compensation, pension, education and training, health care, home loans, insurance, vocational rehabilitation and employment and
burial
Yes I did retire and no I do not have any disabilities. Wife did not retire.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:25 PM   #14

Thank you All for serving.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote