Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-08-2021, 02:16 PM   #1
WVI

Benefeds Vision

Good Day Vets.
I'm considering trying one of the Benefeds vision providers for 2022, and am looking for opinions as to the worth of the planes, or if there is a preferred.

As of now, I am considering:
Aetna
Blue Shield
MetLife

VSP and United are a no-go for me based on previous use and benifits vs cost on thier websites.

I have used the VA, but am not happy at all with the results..

Thanks for any advice.
WVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2021, 05:39 AM   #2

My wife and I have been using Blue Cross Blue Shield FEP Vision (PPO High) for a couple years now and have had no issues. It's $24.03/month for our location, and that covers both of us. Never been charged for an exam, and most of the cost of a new pair of glasses is covered each year. We use the coverage at our local Visionworks Store.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:00 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We've tried a bunch over the years. They're all about the same, except for where you get the discounted glasses. Pick the one that covers the location where you like to get glasses and has coverage for any other eye services you need.

If all you need are glasses, the cost of the coverage and the cost of the discounted glasses add up to almost exactly what you would pay if you didn't pay for the coverage and just went and purchased glasses on your own. Most eyeglass places around here give free eye exams if you buy glasses from them.
Old 12-09-2021, 04:55 PM   #4

Coastal Campers
TFL pays for one exam a year.. and DOD gives retirees a free pair of glasses a year..

Cheaper for me to just buy my "good" glasses and sunglasses when needed.
Old 12-09-2021, 05:36 PM   #5
WVI

Thanks Folks.
I'm leaning towards Blue Shield.
I'm limited on Eye Docs around here.
Ususally the frames I like are more than I'm willing to pay.
I don't have TFL, and not sure about the DOD route. I seem to recall looking into that some time back and it didn't work out.
Old 12-16-2021, 07:49 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
DOD Glasses Once a Year Benefit???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
TFL pays for one exam a year.. and DOD gives retirees a free pair of glasses a year..

Cheaper for me to just buy my "good" glasses and sunglasses when needed.
Interesting comment about "DOD free glasses once a year for retirees" - Can you share more information about this benefit?

Thanks
jfriedhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 07:58 PM   #7

I am not a VA Retiree.
I am 30% disabled Veteran
Last Month I was at the VA Hospital to get a Cat Scan so while there I stopped by the Eye Glass Center.
I had recently had an Eye Exam so I had my RX with me
*VA Hospital doesn't have an Optometrist so they had sent me to a Local Civilian one for exam/Rx
Got a pair of glasses/frames for free. Nice selection of frames and the glasses were progressive lenses.
Mailed them to me 3 weeks later.

Lady at Eye Center said the VA is now providing free eyeglasses & hearing aids Once a year

So check with your local VA Medical Center........
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:19 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
VA vs DOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I am not a VA Retiree.
I am 30% disabled Veteran
Last Month I was at the VA Hospital to get a Cat Scan so while there I stopped by the Eye Glass Center.
I had recently had an Eye Exam so I had my RX with me
*VA Hospital doesn't have an Optometrist so they had sent me to a Local Civilian one for exam/Rx
Got a pair of glasses/frames for free. Nice selection of frames and the glasses were progressive lenses.
Mailed them to me 3 weeks later.

Lady at Eye Center said the VA is now providing free eyeglasses & hearing aids Once a year

So check with your local VA Medical Center........
Ok Thanks - Was figuring it might be a VA benefit (Dept of Veterans Affairs vs. DOD (Dept of Defense) as mentioned. Kinda anal about small print items (facts), given my post military career and years on active duty officer in a Secondary assignment as Govt Purchasing Contracting Officer (PCO) having to interpret/draft and negotiate/enforce/award the 'small print'.
jfriedhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 06:09 PM   #9
WVI

Thanks for the additional info!

Tags
vision