Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
I'm a Vietnam Vet and just started RVing about a year ago. Are there Government / Military campgrounds that Vets have access to?

cheers
geo
As it stands for the 4 military RV parks here in Michigan someone must be Active Duty, National Guard, Reservists, Retired, 100% DisAbledVeteran or a DepartmentofDefense civilian.

Since I am not active, reserve, or DoD civilian employee and not 100% disabled, I can't camp there. Those that can deserve it.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #16
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
well, I've got some news veterans. You can determine if it is bad or good.

The posts indicated that FamCamps are not open to civilians is no longer correct. The Shields NAS RV Park, Corpus Christi, TX, is open to civilians and I don't mean just as a guest. As a matter of fact, there are many of the MWR Facilities open to civilians at tha NAS Corpus Christi, like golf, bowling, etc. If a civilian wants to use these facilities he has to apply at the security office. There is a $20 charge for the application, and it takes about a week before you are issued an identification of some sort. That is so they can do a security check. A civilian needs to show is driver's license with date of birth and provide his/her social security number.

I' don't know how many more military bases are allowing this new "feature."
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:48 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
well, I've got some news veterans. You can determine if it is bad or good.

The posts indicated that FamCamps are not open to civilians is no longer correct. The Shields NAS RV Park, Corpus Christi, TX, is open to civilians and I don't mean just as a guest. As a matter of fact, there are many of the MWR Facilities open to civilians at tha NAS Corpus Christi, like golf, bowling, etc. If a civilian wants to use these facilities he has to apply at the security office. There is a $20 charge for the application, and it takes about a week before you are issued an identification of some sort. That is so they can do a security check. A civilian needs to show is driver's license with date of birth and provide his/her social security number.

I' don't know how many more military bases are allowing this new "feature."
Definately the exception. Most bases are much more secure than that.

BTCS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:27 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Now that is a "DESERVING" feature.
OnJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:09 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wayne,

I didn't mention it before but this isn't new, it's just not been advertised. There are several across the country that are like this and generally the only way to find out about them is to call or visit them. By visit I don't mean show up in your RV and tell them you want a site. Personally, I rarely use FamCamps because they are generally out of my way, but I've visited friends at these places and have talked with the people who run the camps. I think it depends on the time of year, whether the camp is busy and probably the mood the manager is at the time.

I don't want to give anyone the wrong impression that vets who aren't "eligible" can get in many or all FamCamps. However, if you are interested, call them and find out. The worst they can do is say "no". I know many will tell you the eligibility rules so just thank them if they can't accomodate you and try to find another place.

Denny
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #20
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Denny,
I think the Military Campgrounds web site now has info on FamCamps that are open to non-military (civilians).
Old 03-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
Sorry, being a veteran of any conflict is not enough. The FamCamps are open to active duty and retired military and DOD, and (as stated above) in some places 100% VA disabled.

If you had chosen to make a career out of your time in the military, you too would have had these fabulous benefits, right along with using the Commissary and Exchange .
What about those of us who chose to make it a career but were med discharged(13 years, multiple lumbar compression fractures)? But not 100%(only30%). Guess me and others like me just aren't as important.

If it won't budge, hit it harder or get a bigger hammer.
RLKBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLKBOB View Post
What about those of us who chose to make it a career but were med discharged(13 years, multiple lumbar compression fractures)? But not 100%(only30%). Guess me and others like me just aren't as important.
Bob, you need to pursue your percentage of disability with the DAV.

As far as using Fam camps we seldom use them, mainly because we find them not as friendly as a regular rv park. Could this be a rank thing or am I wrong??
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:39 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
Bob, you need to pursue your percentage of disability with the DAV.

As far as using Fam camps we seldom use them, mainly because we find them not as friendly as a regular rv park. Could this be a rank thing or am I wrong??
I use them alot and I think they are great. At least the ones I use. It's awesome to be around others that share your experiences. I've stayed at maybe 20 different FamCamps and haven't found any to be un-friendly.

BTCS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:04 AM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLKBOB View Post
Bob,

I agree with Joe. You're showing your frustrations toward the wrong group of people. I doubt that there would be any of us here, retired or not, that would argue that you gave more than your share in the service to your country. But your argument is with the VA, not the folks here that share your feelings. Incidentally, I don't know for a fact, but I suspect that since you were medically discharged you should be eligible to use any of the FamCamps. There may be a percentage cutoff for eligibility that is higher than 30%, I just don't know. Perhaps someone who knows more than I can jump in here with the correct response.

Denny
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #25
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some INFORMATION
Old 03-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #26

No, my frustration was towards Senior Chief's comment about if you had chosen to make it a career you too could use this benefit.

If it won't budge, hit it harder or get a bigger hammer.
RLKBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
The Senior Chief should not cause you any frustration at all! Some things are just out of your control. I suggest that you see a DAV counsoler(sp)-VFW and other Vet organizations have them also, and reopen your claim. You have nothing to lose and a lot to gain
I too am a Nam Vet and the way we were treated when we got home will be on my mind for a long time. No bitterness but still a nagging ache
Old 03-09-2012, 12:46 AM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
There are some public campgrounds that give a discount to Vets with a military ID
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote