Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:09 AM   #57

Oh we'll. would have been nice, but the 100% disabled deserve it more than I.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2013, 06:53 AM   #58

Carolina Campers
military campgrounds

The July issue of Motorhome magazine has an excellent article on Military Camprounds, on page 37. For some of the vets community that don't have this magazine, it lists a few websites that may be helpful. rv caravan program called SMART Traveler. www.smartrving.org. another is www.militaryliving.com. Happy camping from one vet to another!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #59

The reason the Vets now are being treated with respect is because they are the kids and grandkids of the VN era vets and we don't want them treated the way we were when returning from Nam or serving in that time period. Thank you to all vets past and present. AF retired 61-81
ccraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I have an iPhone app called C-RV Military. Just search for it in the apps store. The app displays where you are and where the closest military campgrounds are located. The app was free.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #61
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
I have an iPhone app called C-RV Military. Just search for it in the apps store. The app displays where you are and where the closest military campgrounds are located. The app was free.
Thank you I needed that
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #62

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgj6905 View Post
Geo, go to this site. U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks
Happy camping!
Mark
Retired Air Force
2002 HR Amabasador
Wow! Great site thanks!

Coast Guard Retired Chief
Eric
exploring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccraig View Post
The reason the Vets now are being treated with respect is because they are the kids and grandkids of the VN era vets and we don't want them treated the way we were when returning from Nam or serving in that time period. Thank you to all vets past and present. AF retired 61-81
I agree. We were the lucky ones to make it back home!

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:48 PM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hello All,
I called Ellsworth AFB in Rapid City, SD a few weeks ago and was able to make reservations for 2 weeks. I told Amy I was 60% disabled, VA, not retired, she said do you have an ID card, I said I had a VA pictured card, she said that was ok.
Last week I went to check in and Security would not let me on the base with the VA ID. I called Amy from the front gate and was then told that I could not stay. Communication error, I am not mad, but disappointed, now I have to find alternate RV park. It worked out great, we found an awesome place to stay. I'm truly not upset, stuff happens.
Les
goldviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:02 AM   #65
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Disappointing outcome but thank you for posting about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldviper View Post
Hello All,
I called Ellsworth AFB in Rapid City, SD a few weeks ago and was able to make reservations for 2 weeks. I told Amy I was 60% disabled, VA, not retired, she said do you have an ID card, I said I had a VA pictured card, she said that was ok.
Last week I went to check in and Security would not let me on the base with the VA ID. I called Amy from the front gate and was then told that I could not stay. Communication error, I am not mad, but disappointed, now I have to find alternate RV park. It worked out great, we found an awesome place to stay. I'm truly not upset, stuff happens.
Les
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #66

Appalachian Campers
If you are 100% and have DOD/ UNIFORMED SERVICES CARD DD FORM 2765 (exchange MWR commissary) you can get into all campsites if they have space and use everything on base I camp a lot on bases and have never been turned down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markandkim View Post
I'm sure that is incorrect!

BTCS
clc530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #67

Appalachian Campers
Very True .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccraig View Post
clc530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #68

I was forcefully pushed out of the Air Force back in 1992 due to BRAC that was put into place. My airframe (B52G), was being pushed into the boneyard and when the good folks from Randolf showed up at my base for our individualized briefings on our career choices, I was given a choice of cook or admin. This after they paid my way to get my FAA Airframe and Powerplant license, being a SSgt Master Crew Chief, and selected as the Crew Chief of the quarter just prior to this event. Tried to talk my family into staying the course, but they refused as we were also told a Northern tier assignment was going to happen again. After 8 years in the AF, I was let go. Not exactly fair to someone who was really enjoying a career as an aircraft mechanic in the USAF.
I too fought in Desert Storm launching B52's from far away from my family. Many dangers, live bombs falling off the loaders and trailers, working without safety equipment, getting a severe head trauma while generating those aircraft.
For this...I get nothing. There are no benefits, just a piece of paper that allows me to be buried in a state veterans cemetery somewhere when the time comes.

For those that were allowed to maintain a career of 20+ years, congratulations. For those of us that got shafted, try to understand that there are those of us that are rightfully bitter that we cannot have some benefit to being a war veteran.

I am proud to have served, pissed that I was thrown away.
Alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #69

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cutbacks are crappy for everyone involved. I met a lot of folks in my military career that had to reclassify into another job because the equipment or function that they were trained in went away. Knew a lot of folks that were commissioned officers during Viet Nam but had to revert back to enlisted status if they wanted to stay in during the drawdowns. Not sure why you are saying that you were thrown away, because you were offered an opportunity to remain on active duty, albeit in a different job.
Cum catapultae proscriptae soli proscript catapultas habebunt
gray ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #70

Triple E Owners Club
Another benefit for anyone with at least a military 30% disability is the National Access Pass. It is free to anyone with a disability that meets the criteria in these links. It gives free access to all Federal Fee Areas (National Parks) and half off on most camping. This is the same as the Senior (62+) Pass. Active duty military and dependents can get a one year free pass also.

America the Beautiful - National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass
U.S. National Park ServiceAmerica the Beautiful
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote