Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #127
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
"Desecration (also called desacralization or desanctification) is the act of depriving something of its sacred character, or the disrespectful or contemptuous treatment of that which is held to be sacred or holy by a group or individual."

So tell me again that she did not desecrate the memorial!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
"Desecration (also called desacralization or desanctification) is the act of depriving something of its sacred character, or the disrespectful or contemptuous treatment of that which is held to be sacred or holy by a group or individual."

What really surprises me about some of the comments provided by Gadget63...he is a retired Police Office for the NYPD? Would he be so understanding or apologetic if this disrespect was levied on the 30 NYPD Officers that lost their lives on 9/11/2001 or any other fallen Police Officer? I for one would be just as outraged if this behavior was demonstrated at a NYPD memorial.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #129

Thor Owners Club
I would be outraged at the desecration of any grave. Even archaeologists take the utmost care when excavating bone of the dead.
Huck.hickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:39 AM   #130

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

Agreed Wayne, your point is spot on
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #131

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
lemme guess.. Never in the military?
No! But I served 20+ years as a Police Officer in NYPD defending peoples rights to protest and exercise their first amendment as did you!
Old 12-15-2012, 07:21 AM   #132

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
Obviously a civilian perspective. Sorry but you can't understand what it takes for you to have your right to your oppinion.

As for the joke... If someone made a racist joke people would be up in arms for such disrespect. This act was very disrespectful to the fallen men and women it is honoring. I personaly don't stand for any type of disrespect. That's my right!
I served 20+ years as a Police Officer in NYPD and come from a military family, so I am not speaking as from a "civilian" perspective. Also, I totally understand about what it takes to have your rights since I defended them again for over 20 years.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #133

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget63 View Post
No! But I served 20+ years as a Police Officer in NYPD defending peoples rights to protest and exercise their first amendment as did you!
So, if I went to the New York City Police Memorial in Battery Park and did this same photo, you wouldnt be mad? None of your fellow officers either?

Oh I fought for her right to be stupid, but I also fought for the companies right to terminate her for being so..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #134

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
With all due respect Richie, this went beyond these women exercising their First Ammendment rights. They did, in fact and by definition, desecrate the memorial. I think they got off light.

Wayne has already published one definition of the word, "desecrate" but here are a couple of more:

Quote:
Originally Posted by World English Dictionary
desecrate (ˈdɛsɪˌkreɪt)

— vb
1. to violate or outrage the sacred character of (an object or place) by destructive, blasphemous, or sacrilegious action
2. to remove the consecration from (a person, object, building, etc); deconsecrate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disctionary.com
des·e·crate [des-i-kreyt] Show IPA
verb (used with object), des·e·crat·ed, des·e·crat·ing.
to divest of sacred or hallowed character or office.
to divert from a sacred to a profane use or purpose.
to treat with sacrilege; profane.
To Midniteoyl's point about the Police Memorial. I would expect you and any other LEOs to be outraged if these women, or anyone else were to desecrate the memorial. Even though I have never been in Law Enforcent, I would also be outraged.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #135
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I served 20+ years as a Police Officer in NYPD and come from a military family, so I am not speaking as from a "civilian" perspective. Also, I totally understand about what it takes to have your rights since I defended them again for over 20 years.
You may have come from a military family, but if "you" did not serve you can't fully understand. I would not try to convey that I understand what it like is to be a police officer. Much different. In many ways your job is harder as your enemy is not always as obvious. But those of us that server in the armed forces have to deal with things you would never understand. Thank you for your service in the NYPD. I respect your service and will not try to say that I can comprehend your perspective. I just ask that you please respect our service and realize that you can not comprehend the perspective of those who have served in the military.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #136

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
You may have come from a military family, but if "you" did not serve you can't fully understand. I would not try to convey that I understand what it like is to be a police officer. Much different. In many ways your job is harder as your enemy is not always as obvious. But those of us that server in the armed forces have to deal with things you would never understand. Thank you for your service in the NYPD. I respect your service and will not try to say that I can comprehend your perspective. I just ask that you please respect our service and realize that you can not comprehend the perspective of those who have served in the military.
Well stated TAZ
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #137

Vintage RV Owners Club
After all these posts, I had to finally go look at the photo in question.

My reaction is "what are you people drinking"????

The pictures show a woman yelling at a sign that orders people to be "silent". The Tomb isn't even in it. Tasteless, yes. But a "desecration"????

Both women have lost their jobs as a result of all the holier-than-thou uproar raised by all the types that have never, ever done anything impulsive, stupid, juvenile, and tasteless. But it doesn't sound as if their very public firings is enough...how about a (real!) public flogging, perhaps followed up with a few days in the stocks on the Capitol Mall?

Would that do it for you?

If not, we could then deport them to a country like Afghanistan. Those folks know how to deal with this kind of thing!

Enough already!
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #138

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
TAZ, trust me, no one respects what our servicemen do and did for our country more than I, and true we have not walked a mile in each others shoes, but we both did perform a needed service and at times were unappreciated by the public for what we did and stood for. I remember our Viet Nam Vets coming home and being cursed at and spat upon and I as you too had to defend their right to do so. I guess what I am saying is, we (Police and also our service men and women) were trained and had it drilled in our heads to have a thick skin and not take it personally. I have been called pig, traitor, and countless other hurtful names that I grew immune to it and I just assumed everyone else had too. My apologies if anyone thinks I was trying to sleight anyone here as that is not my intention.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #139

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
After all these posts, I had to finally go look at the photo in question.

My reaction is "what are you people drinking"????

The pictures show a woman yelling at a sign that orders people to be "silent". The Tomb isn't even in it. Tasteless, yes. But a "desecration"????

Both women have lost their jobs as a result of all the holier-than-thou uproar raised by all the types that have never, ever done anything impulsive, stupid, juvenile, and tasteless. But it doesn't sound as if their very public firings is enough...how about a (real!) public flogging, perhaps followed up with a few days in the stocks on the Capitol Mall?

Would that do it for you?

If not, we could then deport them to a country like Afghanistan. Those folks know how to deal with this kind of thing!

Enough already!
Thank you.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #140

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

Enough already!
Take another look then. There is more going on in the picture than the young lady just pretending to yell at the sign. If that is all it was I doubt anyone would have been upset and she probably would not have lost her job. The sign makes it very clear exactly where the picture was taken.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote