Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:33 PM   #29

Hi All....Glad to see this Forum. Hey Red (Will T.), how have you been. Drop me a line at lenorge@citlink.net ttyl. Lenny
lenOrge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2006, 10:01 AM   #30

Thought I'd check in too. U.S. Army, served in Thailand (fortunately not Vietnam). Not a retired vet, just a vet.

Would be interested in hearing about overnighting on bases. Is that only available to retired vets, or any of us vets?
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:49 PM   #31

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Would be interested in hearing about overnighting on bases. Is that only available to retired vets, or any of us vets? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Active Duty and Retired military. There is an exception. If you are 100% VA disabled, then most of the military RV parks will allow you to camp. I'm not sure about Purple Heart veterans. Will have to check on that, but I don't think so.

The prices average about $13 for most of the Parks. There are some down around the $7 area and some have drycamping for about $3. So far, the most expensive one I've seen is Davis-Monthan Park at the AFB at $20 in Tucson.
<font color="#0000ff">George Eldridge

Cynthia Totten</font>
Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 03:42 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
George, what would the availability be for Drilling Reservists? My first 5 years were USN, now as a Coast Guard Reservist I'm on my second 12 month call up to active duty. When I return to drilling status in October, am I eligible? Hope so, as during the call up, my travel time has been a wee bit limited! Thanks for the guidance.. Christine
Old 03-04-2006, 04:32 PM   #33

Last September we stayed at Ellsworth AFB in Rapid City SD. I think it was $15 FHU with full concrete slab and picnic table. Nice park but small. We couldn't get in the maingate to the base at lunch time because of barriers. They made us unhook our toad and back out and go to the commercial gate. No barriers there, couldn't figure that one out. We felt bad holding lunch hour traffic up. Ellsworth has very nice commissary and bx facilities. Lots of new construction there it seemed. When we left the next day to head for Wall Drug we had to leave the commerical gate as well. It was closed of course and we called security and had to wait about 30 minutes for them to come unlock the gate. By then there was about 3 rigs waiting. Its a good place to stay to stock up on supplies but the are lot of better and more convenient place to stay while enjoying the Black Hills!

2006 Jeep Liberty Limited
Our Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:01 PM   #34

3-5-2006
Hello all from cold Pittsburgh, Pa. My husband was active duty for 2 1/2 yrs and completed remainder in the reserves - first Army then Pa Air National Guard for a total of 20 yrs. Still in "grey area" won't receive any $$ till he reaches 60yrs old. We have camped in several famcamps - Il, NC, NY, MI & ME. We are planning to be snow birds next year 2006-2007 - unsure if to go south to Fl or southwest to Az, Tx or Nv?? Enjoy finding new web sites for vets and camping & rv'g.

safe travels! mimikv
mimikv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 02:41 AM   #35

Jim, Retired USAF 63-86, originally from Missouri, now fulltime.

2001 Volvo "Suite-T"
maltruck8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 02:56 AM   #36

For a good list of military campgrounds check this site. You can update and rate listings.

www.militarycampgrounds.us

2001 Volvo "Suite-T"
maltruck8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 05:18 AM   #37

Stan, Retired "Coastie" Full time RVer with Linda, Top Cat & Loki our two furry kids.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:42 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Stanbnv, welcome to the IRV2 forums glad to see you aboard visit the different forums and when you have a chance post your coach info in the signature block of your profile. Enjoy
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:15 AM   #39

This post is getting a bit long. Didn't know it would be this popular.

I just answered Christine's question as best I could. Probably the best thing to have is the Military Living RV book which can be purchased at any PX, BX. It's a good investment and doesn't cost that much...I believe it's about $20.

If you have specific questions, you know you can always start another post. Might make it easier and quicker to get a response to your questions.

Welcome aboard Stan. I've been getting some PMs from the Military-RVforums.com. They edited my post for this web site, but some wanted to know where we were, so I told 'em.
<font color="#0000ff">George Eldridge

Cynthia Totten</font>
Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 12:44 PM   #40

Just turned sixty. US Army AD 71-79 and USAR for 14+ years. A dentist. Wouldn't let me have live weapons often so I keep my own. Our son is in the USAR.

I was proud to serve in any capacity.

Frank
Old 03-05-2006, 04:28 PM   #41

New forum member checking in. I am retired Coast Guard. Retired in 99 as a CWO4. Had campers before, but usually only traveled a time or two a year, and mostly locally. Bought a MH in March or last year and have been on the road alot.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:54 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome BillyP to IRV2
Give us a feed on your MH in your sig-profile so if you have some problems we will know what kind of a rig we are talking about. Enjoy to forums on site and please join in with your ideas.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote