Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
clueless disrespect

As he states he can not comprehend such dedication and commitment. But he can sure enjoy the freedoms that it provides.

MSNBC's Chris Hayes 'uncomfortable' calling fallen military 'heroes' - Spokane Conservative | Examiner.com
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #2

He is just another television "talking-head" idiot, they come and they go...

Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
He is just another television "talking-head" idiot, they come and they go...

Nothing personal, Sequim, certainly. But I disagree with your assesment. He is much more than a talking head idiot. He unfortunately represents a large (and growing) part of our younger "citizens" that know nothing about the real history of our country and the blood and sweat it took to found it.....let alone the sacrifices so many others have made to protect it. By making those comments, he proves his total ignorance of the true cost of American freedom and what it means to be an American. Sad, really. And what is even worse, IMHO, is that so many of the folks that masquerade as "media" today are just as ignorant and just as condescending as he is.

If one were to ask him who led the Continental Army out of Valley Forge during the American Revolution, he wouldn't know. If one were to ask him who fought in the American War Between the States and why, he wouldn't have a clue. If one were to ask him where Normandy is, he would answer with nothing but a blank stare. However, how many of our "youth" today could answer any of those questions? And he is the tip of the iceberg, believe me.

He looks down at fallen military folks and questions the term "heroes", rationalizing his comments due to his disdain for war. And yet it is war that birthed our/his freedom....and has defended same for many years. He looks down at fallen military folks...yet he wouldn't last 48 hours at boot camp. No, he is not just another talking head idiot. He is so much more than that. Just my opinion on another Memorial Day....
Old 05-28-2012, 11:40 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeapBigEngin View Post
Nothing personal, Sequim, certainly, but I disagree with your assesment. He is much more than a talking head idiot. He unfortunately represents a large (and growing) part of our younger "citizens" that know nothing about the real history of our country and the blood and sweat it took to found it.....let alone the sacrifices so many others have made to protect it. By making those comments, he proves his total ignorance of the true cost of American freedom and what it means to be an American. Sad, really.

If one were to ask him who led the Continental Army out of Valley Forge during the American Revolution, he wouldn't know. If one were to ask him who fought in the American War Between the States and why, he wouldn't have a clue. If one were to ask him where Normany is, he would answer with nothing but a blank stare. However, how many of our "youth" today could answer any of those questions? And he is the tip of the iceberg, believe me.

He looks down at fallen military folks and questions the term "heroes", rationalizing his comments due to his disdain for war. And yet it is war that birthed our/his freedom....and has defended same for many years. He looks down at fallen military folks...yet he wouldn't last 48 hours at boot camp. No, he is not just another talking head idiot. He is so much more than that. Just my opinion on another Memorial Day....
I think you mean "Normandy"
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I think you mean "Normandy"
Fixed....a case of "fat fingers" when typing. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2012, 12:29 AM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
Found this in an article on above mentioned Hayes gaff --

Author and Army veteran Charles M. Province put it this way:
It is the Soldier, not the minister
Who has given us freedom of religion.
It is the Soldier, not the reporter
Who has given us freedom of the press.
It is the Soldier, not the poet
Who has given us freedom of speech.
It is the Soldier, not the campus organizer
Who has given us freedom to protest.
It is the Soldier, not the lawyer
Who has given us the right to a fair trial.
It is the Soldier, not the politician
Who has given us the right to vote.
It is the Soldier who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag,
Who allows the protester to burn the flag.

:flow ers:
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:06 AM   #7

The news writers and producers are happy when a show generates this kind of buzz.

The poor fool read it and a firestorm of controversy erupts, just what the producers love. People talking means people watching.

FYI the news industry is no different than other forms of entertainment in that it exists to make a profit by attracting sponsors. The news that FOX, MSNBC or CBS broadcasts is filtered and scripted by the news writer to attact an audience. The actual news you will never get if it does not support the agenda the viewers want.

The days of reporters and genuine News has been replaced by news readers and personalities. Each day the writers sift through the news and Hannity, Geraldo, Olberman, whoever reads it and it is tailored to the audience.

Pawn Stars, Axmen, FOX News, MSNBC, whatever all happen by a script that plays to the audience.
jamesgr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:38 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
NBC, and MSNBC in particular, have a collection of geeks and misfits worthy of any carnival sideshow. Saying their ratings are in the toilet would be overstating their appeal.

With that said, this nation is changing and I'm glad I'm now considered a senior because I don't think I want to be around in another 50 years.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:39 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm gonna get flamed but...

Hayes makes some good points on how we toss out words without realizing how they are being taken and used. We as a nation MUST TAKE CARE that we don't fall for our own, juiced up media hype. When we start down a path that glorifies warrior status without understanding what we are doing, we desensitize ourselves to the meaning of armed conflict and its ramifications.

I served 6 years USAF and worked with some very smart, dedicated, pragmatic individuals. Were any of them "heroes"? Not that I know of, including myself.

I was a combat controller and jumped out of a plane a few times...quasi-heroic..maybe. Extraordinary by civilian standards...maybe.

How many of you vets knew fellow service members that were in it for the money, couldn't find a job, planned on use of education benefits, and other more practical reasons? I knew a lot of them. Did they put themselves on the line because they could have been called to a hot war/conflict? Yes. Did they go? YES. Case in point was the strain on the Reserves and National Guards post 9/11. Many of those folks were not expecting multiple combat deployments but got them. Heroic? Not exactly...dedicated...YES.

I think when we over use the words that should be revered we cheapen them. The term HERO should not be tossed around as political bombs. Medal of Honor, Bronze and Silver Stars and other manner of combat related awards are awarded to HEROs. The rest of us that served may have performed with distinction and dedication but that doesn't make us HEROs.

I've had the privilege to serve with many comrades that may have performed truly HEROIC deeds if called upon. I respect each and every service man and woman that signed the dotted line, raised their hand, took the oath and served honorably till the day they mustered out. I reserve the term HERO to those that gave that extra measure to do more than perform a duty to defend this country, I save it for those that have gone above and beyond the call of duty in the face of danger.

To those that haven't been tested in such a way but prepared to do so, I'm with you my brother's and sisters in arms. We performed our duties and supported our nation and most of us never saw the tip of a bayonet. We deserve to be honored for our commitment. We should be proud to say we served even if we never were in physical danger to any meaningful extent. But, in the pride we should have for our roles, we can not beat our chests with undue hubris. We must render respect to those that where called upon to be HEROIC in the true measure of the word.

In saving the word HERO from abuse, we raise it to the heights is should be held. That, IMHO, is how we should take the the commentary of Mr. Hayes.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:00 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
The soldier, Hero or not, has provided you the freedom to express your opinions.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeapBigEngin View Post
He unfortunately represents a large (and growing) part of our younger "citizens" that know nothing about the real history of our country and the blood and sweat it took to found it.....let alone the sacrifices so many others have made to protect it.

However, how many of our "youth" today could answer any of those questions? And he is the tip of the iceberg, believe me. ..
HeapBigEngine--I can't even begin to tell you how much I disagree with your opinion that so many of our "youth" of today are essentially clueless. I too fit the "senior" definition.

As such, I have had many of my "know nothing" nephews and nieces off in foreign lands, fighting what are defined as Americas neccesary wars. You may agree or not that these wars are as neccesary or as important as the ones you mention, but you can be sure that they are just as dangerous, the bullets are just as real, and the sacrifices and the deaths for our country are just as bad. And I will soon have the opportunity to have my grandsons and granddaughters make that sacrifice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athuddriver View Post
I'm gonna get flamed but...

athuddriver---this was so well said! I suspect you may be right, you might get flamed, but an actual message with some thought behind it deserves nothing but thank you's IMHO. Thank you for your service!
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmichael View Post
HeapBigEngine--I can't even begin to tell you how much I disagree with your opinion that so many of our "youth" of today are essentially clueless. I too fit the "senior" definition.

As such, I have had many of my "know nothing" nephews and nieces off in foreign lands, fighting what are defined as Americas neccesary wars. You may agree or not that these wars are as neccesary or as important as the ones you mention, but you can be sure that they are just as dangerous, the bullets are just as real, and the sacrifices and the deaths for our country are just as bad. And I will soon have the opportunity to have my grandsons and granddaughters make that sacrifice.

athuddriver---this was so well said! I suspect you may be right, you might get flamed, but an actual message with some thought behind it deserves nothing but thank you's IMHO. Thank you for your service!
Sir....and I can't begin to tell you how much you have completely misunderstood my comments. But I will try, so please listen carefully! I surely did not refer to those that serve our Country ANYWHERE as "know nothings". That would be insulting to your family members....and to mine as well! These folks (as many of us who also served) KNOW the meaining of freedom and commitment have an understanding of our history. To think otherwise is absolutely absurd. I was referring to the increasing number of "young" people who know nothing about real sacrifice and commitment.....because they've NEVER done it! And way too many of these ingrates have found their way into our educational system and on to our airwaves...both positions of incredible influence and impact on our young folks. And therein lies a major problem for all of us. No? Take a stroll around your average colllege campus today and listen to the nonsense that fills the air. Or, easier, turn on the likes of MSNBC and listen to the commentators similiar to the one in the OP. These are the know nothings to whom I refer....surely not those that serve.

I would agee with a couple comments here that some folks toss around the term "hero" a bit too much....NBA playoffs come to mind. But ANYBODY who puts his/her life in harm's way for this great Country, and especially those that pay the ultimate price, are heroes in my book. DW and I never pass up the opportunity to walk up and say "Thanks what you are doing for us" when we see service members in airports, shopping malls or on Mainstreet....I'm sure many, many other folks do as well. Do you think the 25-something commentator referred to in the OP has ever even thought of doing that? Or anyone else on MSNBC? THOSE are the "know nothings" I was referring to....not our military. I sure hope make more sense to you now....
Old 05-29-2012, 08:11 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I didn't read any more of Hayes talk other than the headline regarding heros.

Here is my opinion of the subject of (military) heros. Not all who serve are heros. Not all who are wounded or killed are either. Heros are not born or selected, they just "happen". Many of them are in the wrong place at the right time and circumstances for them to be heroic present themselves.

Those who chose to serve their country SHOULD be held in higher regard than those who choose not to. It is for the latter that the former serve and protect, as it were. It shouldn't have to be that way but it always has been.

Having served in parts of four decades ('59-82), during more than one combat era, I feel qualified to speak easily and freely about what I consider are heros. I was never one, I just did my job to the best of my ability. It's the same for 99% or more of those who are lucky enough to have served their country.

I'm delighted to see that those who serve today are getting the accolades that those of us who served in VN never got when we returned to this country. Instead of getting spit on and hearing our fellow countrymen revile and hate us, sing the praises of the traitor Jane Fonda, etc., these young people are rightfully getting the respect they deserve. But don't lump them into a category of heros because that should be reserved for a miniscule group of people. They were "simply" doing their job and want nothing more than to be respected.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hero? To me, anyone who steps up and wears the uniform is a hero. You can argue about the degrees of heroism, or make comparisons between the heros to try to figure out which one was more heroic than the other. At the end of the day, to serve is heroic. They are ALL heros.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote