Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-09-2020, 04:05 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Commissary/BX use

I just read a thread about using the commissary. The guy said he had a service connected disability. I wonder if you have to be 100% disabled. I am 50%. Is there anything that I can do on a military base. Just wondering. The last I heard you had to be active or retired. Just wondering. Thank you. Have fun RVN
Terryshirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2020, 06:48 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Check this forum as there are a few threads on topic like this one:

"New commissary privileges for vets"
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:09 PM   #3

10% is service connected with the VA.. that's all you need for privileges on military bases.. But at the present time privileges are suspended because of the virus. Our reservations at FamCamps were all cancelled and we were no longer permitted on Davis Monthan Air Force Base in Tucson. I have no clue how long this suspension will last or how we will find out it is suspended.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryshirley View Post
I just read a thread about using the commissary. The guy said he had a service connected disability. I wonder if you have to be 100% disabled. I am 50%. Is there anything that I can do on a military base. Just wondering. The last I heard you had to be active or retired. Just wondering. Thank you. Have fun RVN
You should check with the military establishment that you plan to visit.. we live near Pensacola NAS. No problem using facilities.

My buddy that lives near Ft Jackson in Columbia SC said the installation was closed to all but active duty and their dependents.
Glennabbott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:55 AM   #5

You need to have a VA issued health card to access base MWR Facilities. If your spouse is going on base as well you will need a real ID drivers license or a passport for him or her.
We used quite a few base facilities on our recent cross country trip. We didn’t stay at any RV parks because of our weapons on board. Each base treat them differently, but we plan to in the future.
LS-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:00 AM   #6

Look up military MWR facilities and you'll learn what’s available to use. Pretty cool benefit, especially if you like to play golf. $38.00 a round in Hawaii is good stuff.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:06 PM   #7

Only the Army uses a MWR desigantion. To find current information for all branches of the military, read the list at militarycampgrounds.us
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:48 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Only the Army uses a MWR desigantion. To find current information for all branches of the military, read the list at militarycampgrounds.us
And The NAVY

https://www.navymwr.org/
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:03 AM   #9

I have yet to visit any army installations, but have been to numerous navy bases and have seen the Navy MWR insignia.

From wikipedia.

Each branch of the United States Armed Forces has a branch of MWR. MWR provides free and discounted recreation to military personnel and their families. Although the facilities provided vary from base to base, the types of services, facilities and programs provided can include fitness centers, pools, marinas, bowling centers, golf courses, restaurants, conference centers, catering, programs for single sailors with special events, access to internet, movies and video games. Army MWR also offers accredited family child care and youth and school aged services at many installations.

Army and Air Force
The Army and Air Force's MWR services is paid for via the Army and Air Force Exchange Service. Roughly 70% of Army & Air Force Exchange Service earnings are paid to MWR programs. In the last ten years, more than $2.24 billion has been contributed by the Exchange to the Army and Air Force to spend on quality of life improvements for Soldiers, Airmen and their families.

Army
The United States Army’s MWR is run by the G9, Family and MWR Directorate of the U.S. Army Installation Management Command.

The United States Army's Family and MWR Programs is a military organization whose primary mission is to provide the United States Army with programs that fulfill and support the Army Family Covenant.[1] The organization strives to provide soldiers and their families with "the same quality of life afforded the society they protect."[2]

Air Force
The United States Air Force’s Outdoor Rec agency, the Air Force Services Activity.

Marines
The United States Marines’ MWR program is the Marine Corps Community Services.

Navy
The United States Navy's MWR program is run by the Navy Installations Command and their mission statement is "to deliver high-quality, customer-focused programs and services that contribute to resiliency, retention, readiness, and quality of life."[3]

Navy MWR is in most areas where there are Navy personnel stationed in the United States, internationally, and in the fleet. Many of their programs are operated by "non-appropriated funds," or by the proceeds that they earn rather than by tax dollars.

Coast Guard
United States Coast Guard MWR.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:45 PM   #10

Obviously you proved me wrong, I apologize for my mistake.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:17 PM   #11

Of you are 50% or more you have more than what is needed as 10% is what is needed but do Not think that the prices were like they were years ago. I find it not that much different except the taxes paid on goods and services is not added to the purchase.
Piper K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper K9 View Post
Of you are 50% or more you have more than what is needed as 10% is what is needed but do Not think that the prices were like they were years ago. I find it not that much different except the taxes paid on goods and services is not added to the purchase.
No but the commissary charges a "service charge" and it's 5% at Ft. Rucker AL. PX doesn't charge that and prices may or may not be different for identical items.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:19 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
The commissary's surcharge is about half our state/local/county/city tax. Plus we have a sin tax on alcohol....total tax is 13 to 14%.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:31 PM   #14

Check with DEERS

BENEFITS SUPPORT
Call the DMDC/DEERS Support Office (DSO): (800) 538-9552. After retiring, all I.Ds never expire. You will have to make an appointment to get the correct I.D card for post/base shopping.
I rarely shop the BX or commissary. I do save money by purchasing beer, alcohol and fueling up to cover driving 10 miles out of my way. My wife wants me to get a bagboy job at the commissary, to keep me #busy.
Rixthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote