Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-30-2020, 02:42 AM   #1

Concurrent Retired and Disability Pay (CRDP)

This one has me a bit confused. I was just awarded a 30% disability rating and understand that they will deduct your VA disability pay from your military retired unless you have 50% or higher. I still have 8 deferred decisions though so maybe my rate will increase a little more. Why do they award you a certain amount and then turn around and reduce your retired pay by that amount? For me they reduced my retired pay but I haven't seen anything from the VA?? My VSO has not been around for the last couple of months, office closed covid-19.
Bill
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2020, 02:59 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
This one has me a bit confused. I was just awarded a 30% disability rating and understand that they will deduct your VA disability pay from your military retired unless you have 50% or higher. I still have 8 deferred decisions though so maybe my rate will increase a little more. Why do they award you a certain amount and then turn around and reduce your retired pay by that amount? For me they reduced my retired pay but I haven't seen anything from the VA?? My VSO has not been around for the last couple of months, office closed covid-19.
Bill
You are right, they will deduct your disability pay from your military retired pay. The military retired pay is taxable but the disability pay is not. So it drops your retired pay down for taxes. You will get your VA pay with a different check/ deposit. It is kind of dumb. DH started out with just 10%, then it went up to 30% and then 40%. He is now at 80%. Now he gets his full retired pay, plus his VA separate.
You should get something from VA, but they move in slow and mysterious ways.
At 50% you will see a change, depending on the state you live in, as far as state tax.
Just hang in there.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:16 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
It Takes Time

Don't worry a check will arrive. If you have direct deposit it works faster. You can find the same info your service org provides and your current status at the VA web site ebenefits.va.gov. I gave up on service organizations several years ago and just did it all myself bc I could never find reps in their offices.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:47 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good reps are hard to find but their are some.

VA disability is like a chess game - you have to keep moving!

With the COVID situation everything in the government has slowed down even more than before EXCEPT their collection efforts, which you just got caught in. However, your check will come.

Once you get a rating on a certain Service Connected item and you feel it should be higher you need to immediately reapply for re-evaluation. I used to recommend applicants check the VA disability determination criteria for their medical issue then take it to your personal doctor to get the tests and evaluations completed THEN use them to reapply to VA. It not only speeds things up but also helps you insure you know how you are situated and what to expect. I recommend you also consider filing for SSA disability if your haven't already. You can go online and download the SSA disability requirements for each problem you have. You'd be surprised how many doctors have never read what SSA requires even though they were given a copy of the manual during their medical training. It gives you the disease/injury; tests required to substantiate; etc.

Best wishes in your process - Richard
Old 06-30-2020, 09:00 AM   #5

Here is a link to the rule concerning Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP). https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/crdp/ You need to get your disability up to 50% so you can receive both retirement pay and VA disability pay. Get a new representative if that person is never there to help. There are many agencies, VFW, American Legion, and maybe your state, that provide representatives.

Mercedes Coachman Galleria Li3
SgtJoe25ID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:21 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Our VA Rep is very busy, so we were at a stopping point.
Then a DAV representative got on the job. We have nothing but good words for her. She did a great job.
We figured 50% would be great but after a year of different drs, and tests it came back at 80%.
You have to stick with it. Don't give up.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:31 PM   #7

Thanks to you all. I have received more info here than I have through the VA. My main problem is that due to the covid virus my local VSO office is closed. Every VA number I call is a recording that basically tells you to refer to the web site. The va waiver did show up on my retired account statement (RAS) and was suppose to come out of this months retired pay today but nothing changed yet. Got my retired pay direct deposit yesterday nothing changed also no deposit from VA.
Thanks Again,
Bill
Old 07-17-2020, 03:42 PM   #8

I just got scheduled for another VA physical as part of the follow up on 7/29/20. I am surprised at this, I guess this can be considered blazing speed for the VA.
Bill
Old 07-20-2020, 06:18 AM   #9

I was rated at 20% for many years and being retired Army, I was in the same situation you are in now. I submitted a claim a few years ago and got bumped up an additional 30%. Yea!!!! I hit the 50% barrier... nope, according to the VA 20% plus 30% equals 40%. So finally after another 18 months and submitting two more claims, one was disapproved and one was approved taking me up to 70%. Bottom line, the VA is slow as molasses in January especially if they keep requiring more proof to support your claim. Stay on it and you will get there eventually. Good Luck!
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:10 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
VA may be slow, but they cut the checks effective to the award date. You will probably get a balloon payment and then settle into a normal rhythm. Same is true for survivor benefits.
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:10 PM   #11

Thanks for the support I really appreciate it. I should have done all this years ago but for some stupid reason I just never did till the Bluewater thing got approved and I talked with a friend who was in DaNang with me, he's on 60% because of it. We were exposed in DaNang and onboard Oriskany which did come inside the 12 mile limit.
Bill
Old 07-31-2020, 06:58 AM   #12

This is highly recommended for those leaving service at the end of an obligation or retirement.

Schedule an appointment with the closest VA clinic. Take all medical records with you including sick call records.

Don’t be disappointed with a zero rating for a condition like hearing or early stage kidney failure and other conditions. Later when any condition rated at zero develops into more problems the zero rating shows it’s linked to service time.

Make sure you discuss any possibility of being in contact with Agent Orange or asbestos dust. Older ships steam lines are almost always protected with asbestos coverings.

When you do see a doctor during an appointment, complain about everything/anything that may be service connected and let them make the decisions.

If you just taking a prescription medication for a short period of time for a condition, make sure it gets documented. I developed high blood pressure while serving aboard ship. It was directly linked to coronary artery problems in later years after retirement. I now get 75% for all of my heart conditions.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 02:37 PM   #13

Beside the Agent Orange exposure I also was exposed to asbestos when I was a young Airman (E3) onboard Oriskany I was assigned to a working party replacing some old canvas lace up racks with the newer submarine type racks. We had to remove some old catapult steam lines that were wrapped in asbestos. No protective gear what so ever, just pull the lines lose and throw them over the side. It was a different Navy back then.
Bill
Old 09-13-2020, 09:54 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Beside the Agent Orange exposure I also was exposed to asbestos when I was a young Airman (E3) onboard Oriskany I was assigned to a working party replacing some old canvas lace up racks with the newer submarine type racks. We had to remove some old catapult steam lines that were wrapped in asbestos. No protective gear what so ever, just pull the lines lose and throw them over the side. It was a different Navy back then.
Bill
Hmm. So to make a long story short I think you're getting shafted. Whoever you are working with it not squaring you away (if you are working with someone). yes it's long process, but at my American Legion and VFW, EVERYBODY that has been to vietname is getting 100%. So anyway: You were in Vietnam, you were exposed to Agent orange and Asbestos. When you fill out your claim, make sure to claim those things plus PTSD. Even if they only give you 30% for PTSD it should get you closer to your 50%.

Tags
disability