Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-01-2019, 03:59 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Stories bring back great memories. In the field and its raining and cold what a meal. However, back in the late 1960 SOS had a different Army name
jryan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2019, 04:25 PM   #44

I went into boot camp in 1972 in good shape playing sports at 150 pounds. We didn’t have a lot to eat at home. Came out of boot camp at 175 lbs eating 3 squares a day and SOS. Everyone disliked the food but me. It was some of the best food I had ever had.
david2385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:27 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryan39 View Post
Stories bring back great memories. In the field and its raining and cold what a meal. However, back in the late 1960 SOS had a different Army name
POS (Poop On a Shingle) is already taken and the original/military S won't make it past the mods.
It is what it is.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:09 PM   #46

SOS

Our artillery unit went to Vietnam on the USNS Gordon. Had it every morning for 30 days.
Vandave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:01 PM   #47

Oh yeah,. SOS was the ubiquitous breakfast on-board.. Not all recipe's are created equal. Stouffers makes Chipped Beef frozen breakfast and I find it pretty good, though my wife buys Hormel Dried Beef in a jar and she makes the sauce. I try to have it once a month. I don't find the "biscuits and gravy" to be the same as SOS though. WHen we crossed the equator and had the Shellback Cermony the cooks made a form of SOS that almost ruined it for me for life though! Ugh, glad we didn't have to do that again. I agree with the frozen beef dated 1944. Terrible, the resemblence to actual hamburger is only casual at best. I was on a small ship (a tin-can destroyer) and milk and fresh veggies/fruit lasted 2 days out of port, then back to powdered milk and some unidentified mushy substance that may have been green or orange that was supposed to be a vegetable. Sometimes the eggs were green for contrast.
Bob '14 Winnebago 37F Adventurer; Jeep toad.
bobfrommaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:06 PM   #48

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfrommaine View Post
Oh yeah,. SOS was the ubiquitous breakfast on-board.. Not all recipe's are created equal. Stouffers makes Chipped Beef frozen breakfast and I find it pretty good, though my wife buys Hormel Dried Beef in a jar and she makes the sauce. I try to have it once a month. I don't find the "biscuits and gravy" to be the same as SOS though. WHen we crossed the equator and had the Shellback Cermony the cooks made a form of SOS that almost ruined it for me for life though! Ugh, glad we didn't have to do that again. I agree with the frozen beef dated 1944. Terrible, the resemblence to actual hamburger is only casual at best. I was on a small ship (a tin-can destroyer) and milk and fresh veggies/fruit lasted 2 days out of port, then back to powdered milk and some unidentified mushy substance that may have been green or orange that was supposed to be a vegetable. Sometimes the eggs were green for contrast.
Bob '14 Winnebago 37F Adventurer; Jeep toad.
As long as its toasted.[emoji12]
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:14 PM   #49

My Dad used to make us SOS on Sunday mornings when we were kids, usually in the winter to fuel a day of sledding. So when I joined the Army in 75 I was already familiar with it, although it wasn't near as good as Dad's.

SOS (Stuff On a Shingle) is and always has been creamed chipped beef (the "Stuff") on toast (the Shingle). No sausage, no biscuits. Creamed chipped beef on toast. Eggs over easy or poached on top are not mandatory but very welcome. Plus Tabasco or your favorite hot sauce, of course.
WyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:22 PM   #50

Been making SOS for Nearly 70 Years

My Dad was a WWII veteran of 4+ years based in England. He always said that the only decent thing he ever ate over there was SOS! First thing he taught my Mom to make when he came home. And, he taught me by the time I was 6. I have fixed it regularly ever since. One of our favorite meals when we are on the road.

Recipe for SOS--WWII style

Melt 1/4 stick butter over med. heat in Iron Skillet. Saute a pkg of chopped, dried beef until edges begin to curl and brown a bit.

Stir in 2 Tablespoons flour---stirring well to coat flour with melted butter. Cook a couple min. and then slowly stir in 2 cups whole milk. Stir constantly until mixture begins to thicken. Add at least 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper and 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce. (Don't omit the Worcestershire sauce--it adds great flavor.)

When thickened, serve over well buttered toast. Enjoy
MoBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:31 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
So does anyone have a really good recipe for SOS? And where do you find chipped beef?
ensmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:53 PM   #52

I didn’t read all 4 pages of this, so in case some one did not clear this up, please allow me. I’m a 20 year Army Green Beret, ‘68-‘88 and loved SOS. First, in the army, there is no such thing as “SOS, and biscuits and gravy”, as some alluded to, The SOS is the gravy. It is chipped beef gravy, same thing as hamburger gravy, not sausage. The SOS refers to the gravy on toast and stands for ‘feces on a shingle’, you can guess the ‘s’ . Restaurants may have something similar, but if it’s not chipped beef gravy, it ain’t SOS.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:19 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlorlomoski View Post
Many was the long winter night when I was stationed at Loring AFB in northern Maine (long since closed) that a healthy serving of SOS from the dining hall got me through -25 degree nights standing guard on an alert B 52. This was always the high point of my shift. The only time it wasn't enjoyable was when a new cook had the duty and left flour lumps in it!!! I still don't understand why most places that call themselves "diners" don't have it on their menu's. Except for places around Gettysburg, PA. where every diner has it. Which for me is just another great reason to visit that area.
Wow! Loring AFB....I had SOS most mornings it just hit the spot on those freezing days, crap I went from McDill AFB in Florida to Loring Maine, I must have pissed off somebody SOS was my comfort food LOL

Zzotte
Old 12-01-2019, 07:22 PM   #54

Sos

Heck , in 1944 it was probably made with horse meat. And that ain’t all that bad .
My mom made beef tenderloin tips with dark gravy on toast or mashed taters.
Dad was ww2 b-17 in Air Corps cadet program . He always had a big smile and a joke when it was served.

Or thin sliced smoked beef chopped up in the white sauce made with butter, milk and corn starch and flour..
Grampa was a cheese maker so we had white butter and unpasteurized whole milk which certainly was premium taste.
We had fresh green peas and canned tuna that got the same treatment on toast.
Or green beans and chipped chicken on toast.
If it was pork it was on buttered caraway rye toast, yum yum.
Now in going into the galley....
Old 12-01-2019, 07:26 PM   #55

, too, love SOS. I've had both the biscuits and gravy but the one I really like is the chipped beef on toast. I think Marie Callender's makes a frozen chipped beef. I may have the manufacturer incorrect but it will be in your frozen food aisle and it is excellent. My mom used to make it before I went into the Navy and I was happy to see it once again. I have it at home several times a month. Carolyn Clark USN air traffic controller 1962 to 1965
NMgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:25 PM   #56

Buddig Beef, 2 Oz.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Buddig-Beef-2-Oz/10309102
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breakfast, coffee, cooking, food, gravy, sos