Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #57

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
djpotts, where and when were you a NCO Academy instructor? I was the ARRTC CSM at McCoy 1999-2003, my wife was an instructor at the Academy there.
Cum catapultae proscriptae soli proscript catapultas habebunt
gray ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #58

Enlisted in the USAF 10/62 and off to Lackland for 5 weeks basic, then off to ArmPitOrillo for Tech School, Inventory Control. First Duty Station was Base Supply at Dover AeroPlanePatch Delaware. Because I swam competitively all during HS and had a Water Saftey Instruction certificate, they gave me a secondary AFAFC as a Life Guard at the combined services rec area at Ft. Lewes Delaware (Life Was Grand!!!!). Also during that time the USAF was computerizing supply inventory and got me interested in Puters. After 3 years, 1 month in, I took an early out (DD214) and re-enlisted to cross train into computer programming (afafc 687xx). Best thing I every did accidently, became a very well paying career move. Then I got orders to Tuy Hoa RVN in 2/67 and off to Tech School at Sheppard for Burroughs Computers and on to Good Old Tuy Hoa as an A2C 4/67 to Tet 68 (wild time that week). Made A1C/Sgt less than a week at Tuy Hoa. To the Red Horse Guy in Sept 67 Tuy Hoa, thanks for the converted Turkey Coops. Next assignment was Hg AF Acctg & Finance Center at 3800 York St, Denver. There were only 13 AirForce Personnel there and 2,000 plus civies - Great Place and one of the most advanced computer centers in the world at the time, learn a lot while there. Discharged (2nd DD214) 11/69 as a S/Sgt on the promotion list for T/Sgt and NCO School in Florida (the convincer for getting out - no more chicken crap for me). Went to work for the Fed and retired Jan 2000 as a GM-14 Data Center Manager -- Thank You USAF!!!!
JohnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #59

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
gray ghost, I was an NCO Academy instructor from 1986 until about 1995. I taught at ARRTC at Fort McCoy, WI; 6th Army in Camp Parks, CA; and 6th ARCOM in Bell, CA as well as numerous satellite schools west of the Mississippi River. Those were good times indeed.
djpotts50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
I was a Navy brat and my dad was a naval officer and told me to go in the AF as the education opportunities were better in those days. So, in Oct 64 i signed the papers for the AF and was off to Lackland AFB. After basic training, I was sent to Amarillo AFB for a 6 week school. We left the Friday before T.G. in November on a chartered Greyhound bus and it was the longest and depressing day of my life. Left at dark, cold all day, on a bus full of GI's, arrived at Amarillo in the dark with the T.I. yelling and screaming at us. I thought we left that behind at Lackland, but, noooo......

My PCS was to Travis AFB, my AFSC was supply. I spent the next 18 mos. in Family Housing as a "white glove" housing inspector. Loved it. Then I went to Cam Ranh Bay in Vietnam for a year and actually worked in the supply field on the flightline. Returned to Travis. When my enlistment was up in 68, I hung around the area and managed to get a civil service job at Travis and over the years worked my way up to Billeting and Housing Manager positions and retired at 55 in 2000 and have never looked back. The AF was good to me and saved me from self destruction at 19.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #61

Enlisted USAF 1973. Saw there was no future in my career field so got the heck out after four years. Basically I saw what the senior NCO's did on a daily basis and didn't want any part of that boring routine. Did some full-time college then became an LEO in Tucson and had a very satisfying 30 year career.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:07 AM   #62

Enliste3d in 1966 - USAF

FB: Adventures of Ranger and Jin
desertranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:22 AM   #63

Enlisted U.S. Army August 1973, retired from the Army March 1996 and became LEO to present. Hence the screen name was born.
Retiredcop20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #64

Entered basic in Jan. '75 at Ft. Jackson, SC and did advanced training at Ft. Gordon. Spent 3 years at West Point,USMA as an MP in the 57th MP Co. I think the security on post is all civilian now. Still love to go back there for football games. Can't beat a tailgate get together near the river.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #65

After high scool everytime I filled out an application there was a box at the bottom asking for your classification of course since I was 1A mine got sent to file 13. Finally I gave in and joined the army. That was in 71 and I have never figured out how I got sent to Germany since I was 13A . I was stationed at Ansbach with the 2/28th FA. got out in 73. A friend of mine who worked for the Corp of Engineers told me to put my application in and they would hire me. Of course I was young and stupid and blew him off. In the early 80's when the oil bust hit I got hungry and tried for the corps and got on. I now work in a hydropower plant in Oklahoma and they will have to drag me out, the real world is tough. I have less than 6 years left then I plan on running the wheels off our MH. We have a coachmen freelander 31ds.
power guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #66

Joined on the delayed enlistment program in 1972. Offically joined the Navy Seabees same year. Had various assisgnments and married at Port Hueneme in Southern California. After returning from Puerto Rico in 76 left military. In Southeastern Oklahoma everyone was only hiring woman because of the EEO rules. After going thru all of the savings went into the Air Force - Retired at 22 years 9 months. Now I am the IT guy for a small business in Southeastern Ok.
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #67

Alpine Owners Club
I avoided/beat the Draft, I enlisted 11-18-1968.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:54 PM   #68

I was hired as a police officer and married in 1964. Passed up the opportunity to attend the California Highway Patrol academy in 1966 because I knew my draft number was soon to be called. Sure e'nuf, I got the notice and was inducted on 10 Jan 1966. At the Los Angeles Induction station, I processed in with a friend from high school. He was a conscientious objector and at the end of that day was sent to medic school. Don was killed in action Viet Nam and posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor. I went to Basic at Fort Bliss, Tx.

With no AIT, I was sent to a Nike Brigade (Air Defense) attached to Homestead AFB, FL. Several other drafted CA police officers arrived there at the same time. We were supposed to get OJT as dog handlers and then be sent to Viet Nam as sentries. But as things happen, plans changed and no OJT was provided. As a Private without any training other than Basic, I was assigned to a Nike Herc battery as a missle mechanic.

Six months later, I had been assigned my msl mech MOS and came down on levy for Okinawa. Nov 66 to Jan 68 Okinawa, D-2-61 @ White Beach. In our off duty time, we saw a lot of troop ships coming and going from Viet Nam at the White Beach EM club.

For me the Army was a good experience. I learned a lot about people and I have the greatest respect for career NCO's, CWO's and Officers. Thank you to all who have served and sacrificed and who will serve.

Now retired LEO and rv traveling the US and our good neighbor, Canada with DW.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:52 AM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Fred, you were on Okinawa the same time I was. Landed 12/7/68 and departed 4/15/70...its funny I was stationed at Ft. Bliss straight out of basic from Ft. Knox. Hard to believe it was 44 years ago I landed there....like you I have very fond memories and was certainly fortunate to have stayed out of Vietnam. My barracks was at Machinato right at the VFW gate.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #70

US Navy 1967-1971

Received my draft papers when I was already in boot camp for the US Navy. Spent a year in Adak, Alaska then on to A school in San Diego. After A School I was assigned to the USS Thomaston, LSD-28 in San Diego. Made one West PAC-Vietnam. H.D. in 1971.

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote