Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:53 AM   #1

End of an Era

Another great Navy Airplane is nearing it's end of service and I for one will miss it. Had to be the loudest Plane on the CATS.
Bill

Navy’s EA-6B Prowler retiring from service | NevadaAppeal.com
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2014, 01:56 AM   #2

I posted about this in the military forum also, I was in VAQ-134 FROM 74-78, When were you with a prowler squadron we have a group from my old squadron on facebook, was glad to get to see some of my old friends on there and catch up on what has gone on in there lives since I left there 36 years ago, thanks for posting this too,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Another great Navy Airplane is nearing it's end of service and I for one will miss it. Had to be the loudest Plane on the CATS.
Bill

Navy’s EA-6B Prowler retiring from service | NevadaAppeal.com
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:15 AM   #3

I was never in a A6 Squadron, Prowler or Intruder but I was always around them. Spent 21 years in the Navy and made cruises on both sides of the Country, Med and Westpac. I came in the Navy in 1970so the A6 was still pretty new and the EA6 wasn't even in our Airwing then. I retired in 91 my last cruise was with VFA-132 (F18) onboard good old CV-43, USS Coral Sea. Our A6 Squadron was VA-55. We didn't have any Prowlers assigned to the Airwing but did pick up some as a supplement to help out during the the first Libya flare up in 85/86. I was Squadron Flight Deck Coordinater then so got a lot of chances to be up close and personal with the A6's if you know what I mean.
Bill
Old 11-23-2014, 03:54 AM   #4

yep, worked the deck as a Ame trouble shooter on the forrestal on a med cruise, and the enterprise on a westpac, we got to go to Tazmania, great port , on the west pac (shellback ) got out in 78, would have, should have, stayed in and made a career out of it, really loved it, after I made E-5 things got a whole lot better duty wise , but the ex wanted to go home, should have let her,,
a lot of my old squadron buddies were on the coral sea, with vaq-134,,, not sure what year after I got out,, well great re-living old memories,, thanks,,
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
I was never in a A6 Squadron, Prowler or Intruder but I was always around them. Spent 21 years in the Navy and made cruises on both sides of the Country, Med and Westpac. I came in the Navy in 1970so the A6 was still pretty new and the EA6 wasn't even in our Airwing then. I retired in 91 my last cruise was with VFA-132 (F18) onboard good old CV-43, USS Coral Sea. Our A6 Squadron was VA-55. We didn't have any Prowlers assigned to the Airwing but did pick up some as a supplement to help out during the the first Libya flare up in 85/86. I was Squadron Flight Deck Coordinater then so got a lot of chances to be up close and personal with the A6's if you know what I mean.
Bill
Old 11-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #5

Love those old sea stories.
Thanks,
Bill
Old 11-23-2014, 01:18 PM   #6

My brother was on the Midway around 1980 and worked ECM repair on the Prowler. It has to be the noisiest jet I've ever heard.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:55 PM   #7

yes they were very loud, took it a long time to get flying, it was a heavy bird, hard to get up, a lot of equipment in those birds,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
My brother was on the Midway around 1980 and worked ECM repair on the Prowler. It has to be the noisiest jet I've ever heard.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:48 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
VA-95. 1979-1982. Whidbey Island. Yes, them planes be real loud. Only squadron I was in, but very proud to have served in an A-6 community.

Bob
Bangorbob is offline   Reply With Quote