Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-10-2021, 03:41 AM   #1
KJB

F-4 Phantom Read

A while back we had a thread on this forum called Phormer Phantom Phlyers and Phyxers. Just finished reading a book I really enjoyed called Vector to Destiny. I tried to mention it in the above thread but the thread is too old to take new posts so I thought I would start a new one. The book was written by a former F-4 Air Force pilot who grew up on a farm in Wisconsin and encountered many obstacles along the way to becoming an Air Force pilot. It is mainly about his 201 missions in Vietnam flying out of Danang AB. I was stationed at Danang AB in the USMC and it brought back many things I could identify with. If anyone is interested Amazon has it at the link below.

https://www.amazon.com/Vector-Destin.../dp/1646631579
KJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2021, 03:49 AM   #2

Just downloaded the book.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:03 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for the link!
ShortHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:57 AM   #4

Dang, paperbacks are now $16?
Old 03-21-2021, 11:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJB View Post
A while back we had a thread on this forum called Phormer Phantom Phlyers and Phyxers. Just finished reading a book I really enjoyed called Vector to Destiny. I tried to mention it in the above thread but the thread is too old to take new posts so I thought I would start a new one. The book was written by a former F-4 Air Force pilot who grew up on a farm in Wisconsin and encountered many obstacles along the way to becoming an Air Force pilot. It is mainly about his 201 missions in Vietnam flying out of Danang AB. I was stationed at Danang AB in the USMC and it brought back many things I could identify with. If anyone is interested Amazon has it at the link below.

https://www.amazon.com/Vector-Destin.../dp/1646631579
FWIW you may still post to old threads you just need to check the box that you understand you are posting to a very old thread.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 03:36 AM   #6
KJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
FWIW you may still post to old threads you just need to check the box that you understand you are posting to a very old thread.
Thanks Ray, I was not aware of that.
KJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:27 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
18 years PHixing F-4s

Worked on Phantoms as a Weapons Control Systems Tech and a Avionics Support Equipment Tech. Worked on Air Force C,D,E, and even a USMC J model. My First day on the flightline at Ubon RTAFB I watched a D model crash land and the Pilot and back seater ejected. Both survived unharmed. I said "does this happen every day"? and my trainer said "we sure hope not". Welcome to the War. We worked our asses off to keep the Phantom flying.
Worked Flightline, Backshop, CalDocks, and Cat II support Equip. All phases of F-4 support. Ended up with 4.5 years at Ubon and Udorn RTAFBs. April '71 to Dec '75. 5 years at Clark AB '78-'82, 5 years at Spangdahlem '84-'89. In '89 xtrained to F-16 PMEL Lab. Preferred the Phantom over the F-16. Loved the overseas duty, Not as much BS as stateside duty. Retired in '92.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:55 PM   #8

Were you with CRS people. Componant Repair Squadron
parcany2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:40 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by parcany2 View Post
Were you with CRS people. Componant Repair Squadron
Yes I was in CRS for quite a few years. Started out in AMS then CRS and Finally EMS.
AMS- Avionics Maintenance Sq
CRS- Component Repair Sq.
EMS- Equipment Maintenance Sq.
Same job with different names.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:35 PM   #10

I was either in MMS, Ems, Or the squardron. It depends what the Air Force wanted it that year.
parcany2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:45 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Found it on Barnes and Noble. I have a NOOK.
Thanks.
2002 Journey DL 36, 3126 Cat 330hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 03:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywithcoop View Post
Worked on Phantoms as a Weapons Control Systems Tech and a Avionics Support Equipment Tech. Worked on Air Force C,D,E, and even a USMC J model. My First day on the flightline at Ubon RTAFB I watched a D model crash land and the Pilot and back seater ejected. Both survived unharmed. I said "does this happen every day"? and my trainer said "we sure hope not". Welcome to the War. We worked our asses off to keep the Phantom flying.
Worked Flightline, Backshop, CalDocks, and Cat II support Equip. All phases of F-4 support. Ended up with 4.5 years at Ubon and Udorn RTAFBs. April '71 to Dec '75. 5 years at Clark AB '78-'82, 5 years at Spangdahlem '84-'89. In '89 xtrained to F-16 PMEL Lab. Preferred the Phantom over the F-16. Loved the overseas duty, Not as much BS as stateside duty. Retired in '92.
Very common job for me when working F-4s was "Remove PSO bucket for WCS". Can't remember how many time in my 20 years that happened. The Phantom was my first aircraft and my favorite to watch but not my favorite to work.
Old 05-24-2021, 12:59 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had to have the PSO seat removed to gain access to the Indicator Display Unit (ICU). The ICU controlled both the front and rear Radar scopes and anytime we have a scope problem 99% of the time it was caused by a ICU malfunction. Believe it or not most of the time is was a burnt out capacitor which required about about 10minutes to remove and solder a new one in place. Longest part of the job was soldering iron warm up and then the paperwork.
Old 05-24-2021, 05:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywithcoop View Post
We had to have the PSO seat removed to gain access to the Indicator Display Unit (ICU). The ICU controlled both the front and rear Radar scopes and anytime we have a scope problem 99% of the time it was caused by a ICU malfunction. Believe it or not most of the time is was a burnt out capacitor which required about about 10minutes to remove and solder a new one in place. Longest part of the job was soldering iron warm up and then the paperwork.
On Okinawa we used to just set the bucket on the lumbar pad and leave it on or under the wing depending on the weather. Most of the time if we took it back to the shop job control was calling for it to be installed before we had a chance to unload it. Not complaining, mind you, it was the way the beast was put together.