Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:55 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
The rules do say that flags from different countries should be at same level. [moderator edit] the US Flag should be above all others in this country except at State Department type buildings/areas. When at sea, all other ships dipped their flag to show respect to ours. There is a reason for that and all that think that the other flags are as important as our Flag should go live under that flag and see how they like it.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2014, 07:44 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
The U.S. Navy dips the U.S. ensign only in return to the dip rendered by another ship. Navy Regulations, article 1263: "When any vessel, under United States registry or the registry of a nation formally recognized by the Government of the United States, salutes a ship of the Navy by dipping her ensign, it shall be answered dip for dip. If not already being displayed, the national ensign shall be hoisted for the purpose of answering the dip. An ensign being displayed at half-mast shall be hoisted to the truck or peak before a dip is answered.

A military vessel never salutes a civil vessel - but if the civil vessel salutes the naval vessel, it always salutes back.

The question of who salutes first depends on the respective seniority of the commanders of the ships concerned. This is ascertained these days by radio beforehand. The respective seniority for officers of the same rank depends on the date of appointment to the rank. Obviously if the commanding officer of one ship is junior in rank to the other, he will intiate the salute. The sizes of the ships concerned does not matter. A captain commanding a frigate might well be more senior by date of appointment than a captain commanding a cruiser for example, although this is unlikely. In this case the cruiser captain will initiate the salute. It also often happens that the senior officer might signal, particularly when ships of different nations are engaged in exercises together, that salutes are to be considered as given and replied to, that is, they are dispensed with.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:46 PM   #17

It is law, not just a code, rule, or recommendation, for how to display our U.S.A. flag: http://www.senate.gov/reference/reso...df/RL30243.pdf
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:59 PM   #18

If you have a horizontal flag-pole, as we do on our house because of roof overhang, how is the "equal height" rule interpreted? We only have room for one pole, and as UK citizens and resident aliens, there are some UK holidays when we'd like to fly the Union Jack. The pole is in our private backyard and not visible to anyone but our immediate neighbors.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:12 PM   #19

Just do it. It's your property, your privacy, your citizenship. There are Mexican flags flying all over SW, U.S.A., it must be OK or Feds would be removing them.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:53 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Probably old news to some but did you know that there is one state that can fly their flag at the same height as the US flag? Good for a lot of arguments. I will let others name the state.
Good luck and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:19 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Other Countries' flags have always been flown at equal height with our own except for the flags of nations with which we are at war. Declared war, I should add.

In my opinion, the greatest abuse of the flag now evidently accepted by just about everyone (likely including the red-blooded vet that took the RV park owner to task) is the complete disregard of the following admonition :

Quote:
(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner
whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or
handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or
boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard.
Thousands and thousands of companies/individuals abuse this part of the code, and who objects? No one.

Quote taken from section 8 at this link
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:54 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see that someone has linked to the flag code.. Alas this is a suggestion not a law, IT is how you show proper respect.

I have read this code several times starting back in my boy scout days, This is what I recall

The US flag must always take the place of honor among the flags.
IF the flags are flown at different heights, it is the highest
If they are flown at the same height it will either be at the front of a "V" (Apex) or on, *I THINK* the flag's right (not sure on that one, might be left) EXCEPT in a church where the church flag gets the place of honor.

But it is proper to fly 'em same height, provided it's on the proper pole.

ANd this issue came up here about a year ago, which was the last time I read the code.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:54 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
We recently had a flag issue here at our park. A visitor in his Class C, who was obviously from Canada, had a single flag pole and on the pole he had the Canadian flag on top and the US flag underneath.

This, of course, raised a few eyebrows among the resident owners and even one went to the park manager and complained (rather than talking to the Canadian visitor himself). The manager requested the person to remove the US flag completely from the pole and only show the Canadian colors. The visitor complied with the request.

Do you think the manager handled this correctly?

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:16 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeltoneMagoo View Post
Probably old news to some but did you know that there is one state that can fly their flag at the same height as the US flag? Good for a lot of arguments. I will let others name the state.
Good luck and safe travels!
See here snopes.com: Texas Flag Flies at the Same Height as the U.S. Flag?
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:14 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
It is law, not just a code, rule, or recommendation, for how to display our U.S.A. flag: http://www.senate.gov/reference/reso...df/RL30243.pdf
? The above mentioned reference specifically states it IS a code and "functions as a GUIDE to be VOLUNTARILY followed by civilians". It is NOT a law.
The military DOES have different rules which are considered laws on military reservations and are for military personnel..
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:26 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
We recently had a flag issue here at our park. A visitor in his Class C, who was obviously from Canada, had a single flag pole and on the pole he had the Canadian flag on top and the US flag underneath.

This, of course, raised a few eyebrows among the resident owners and even one went to the park manager and complained (rather than talking to the Canadian visitor himself). The manager requested the person to remove the US flag completely from the pole and only show the Canadian colors. The visitor complied with the request.

Do you think the manager handled this correctly?

Ron
Quick thinking and YES, that was the best way to handle it. Manager should be a diplomat!!!
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:52 AM   #27

These are good discussions, as I see way too many violations of display protocols we travel. I remember when I was still working, I saw an old dirty and torn flag in the window of an unoccupied building. I did not know who owned the building, but finally called the local police department with my concerns. I apologized for bothering them, but the officer said that this would be one his missions for the day. The flag was gone the next day. This was not a 911 call.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:12 PM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing you need to know.. (And to be honest not knowing this can be fatal) This was pointed out in a TV show once (A-Team)

The Stars always fly at the top.. A flag flying inverted (Stars at the bottom or in the case of other than US flags, whatever should be at top being at teh bottom) means HELP, EMERGENCY, DANGER, HELP, I may die if HELP is not received promptly EMERGENCY.

The A-Team flew it upside down, help arrived, bad guys arrested, I wonder how many viewers knew the meaning of the inverted flag before George (Hannibal) explained it (I know I did).