Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-18-2006, 04:12 AM   #1

Hello; I am planning on going full time next spring. Want to RV across the good old USA and Canada. Am considering carrying a hand gun for personal protection. I am aware of the military regs on weapons on military installations and in Canada. My question is how do you all handle this problem? Is the hand gun disassembled, hidden or what?

Thanks OB
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2006, 04:12 AM   #2

Hello; I am planning on going full time next spring. Want to RV across the good old USA and Canada. Am considering carrying a hand gun for personal protection. I am aware of the military regs on weapons on military installations and in Canada. My question is how do you all handle this problem? Is the hand gun disassembled, hidden or what?

Thanks OB
Old 12-18-2006, 03:53 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Old Fox:

While a Police Officer and in the Reserves I would put my off duty weapon in the (hide) trunk and keeped my mouth shut, never had a problem. As for Canada or Mexico I would not take it across the Border. In Mexico just the possession of one round will get you a Jail Sentence. I just send the gun UPS to a friend and he sends it back UPS when I return to the States.

As for traveling in the US keep in a cupboard. It is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Someone had published a book regarding the carrying of a firearm in all 50 states. Sorry but I do not remember the name of the book or author.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:08 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't recommend that you "hide" any weapons with the intent of sneaking them onto a military installation. Dumb, dumber, dumbest thing you could possibly do when entering a controlled area. You may not have a problem--however, if your vehicle is searched and they find a concealed (hidden) weapon you will be in deep sh$$.
John
Old 12-18-2006, 07:37 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Chief John:

You are right I did this prior to 9-11 and I know things have changed I forgot, things were different then.

They may let you check your weapon with the Provost Marshall.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:54 AM   #6

If you have a DoD sticker, you usually can pass through w/o any search. They do however have random searches. They decide at the start of each day that they will search every ??? number of vehicles. Whether you have a DoD sticker, military ID or what, you WILL be thoroughly searched. Happened to me once, that's how I know. They open EVERY door, glovebox, compartment, reach under seats, use a flashlight, open the hood and use a flashlight to search that. They even have a little wheeled/mirrored/lighted thing that they use to inspect the underside of your vehicle. Also, everyone in the vehicle must get out. This is a much more thorough inspection than the one for non DoD vehicles. I was shocked when I got stopped and asked why. They said it did not matter who you were, if your number came up. You got searched. It was cold and the search took at least 20-30 minutes of my Astro. I mean THOROUGH. Don't know what they would do if you had one.

BTW, whatever happened to the pickups with the rifle racks in the back window??? Times be a changing they are.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 05:39 AM   #7

Thanks for your views folks. Appreciate your responses. Better not press my luck. Guess I'll just continue to carry a short barrel loaded speargun with me. The kind you use when scuba diving. I've carried it all over Mexico in plain view in the gun rack in my pickup with out as much as a comment. Also carry a large machette on the floor in the back seat. Thanks and I'll see ya on down the road. OB
Old 12-19-2006, 03:59 PM   #8

I considered a gun, but felt it was safer and more prudent to have a couple of dogs. Even going through the gate does not present a problem. Been stopped, searched, no big deal.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:14 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
I always have a handgun onboard; usually on my person. I try to avoid going on base for this reason. State Parks in my area also do not allow firearms.
I wouldn't even think of packing to Mexico or Canada but in the US just follow state law and you should be okay. There are some books that cover all of the details; check the NRA Store at NRA Library. You can purchase here even if not a member, but if you own a firearm I would encourage you to join.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:22 AM   #10

My experience with Army/National Guard bases has been that they all allowed guns if properly registered, unloaded, and secured. Most large bases also allow hunting with the proper licenses.

If asked about firearms I would be honest. The worst that I could see happening is you're not allowed entry or asked to leave.
Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:25 AM   #11

2007 Traveler's Guide To The Firearm Laws of the 50 States

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Fernandez:
Hello Old Fox:

Someone had published a book regarding the carrying of a firearm in all 50 states. Sorry but I do not remember the name of the book or author. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
apackof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:47 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveling Teacher Send a message via Skype™ to Traveling Teacher
My husband has a concealed handgun license. We've stayed at Ft. Sam Houston's RV park (San Antonio, TX) twice now. When going through the checkpoint, he gave the guard his military ID & concealed HG license. They didn't have a problem with him having it as long as we didn't stay longer than 72 hours. They also took down the gun's serial number. If we had stayed longer than 72 hours, he would have had to turn it over to them until we left.
Traveling Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:23 AM   #13

Thanks for the info LeAnne; That's the kind of info I was looking for. Now I guess I need to get a Concealed gun permit.
Cya on down the road.
OB n Sue
Old 03-19-2007, 09:13 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You need to watch out as CCP's (concealed carry permits) do not transfer from state to state.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote