Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Heart View Post
Wow looks like there's a home for us "Ol' Guys" - I served in the USAF from 62 - 66. Got to see the beautiful but cold sides of the US. Two years in S.Dak. and 2 years in Alaska. Viet Nam was just getting cranked up when I was discharged.

Tom I had a friend that was there in Siagon in 62 with the Army setting up Microwave relay stations.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2009, 10:50 PM   #16

Welcome Yogi! You may already have these, but just-in-case, here are some useful/interesting links:
http://www.landscaper.net/agent2.htm
http://www.dod.mil/pubs/foi/reading_...Herbicides.pdf
http://www.gmasw.com/ao_amts1.htm
http://vets.yuku.com/ (these guys can answer any question about veterans benefits you may have)
http://www.smartrving.net/
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:26 AM   #17

Thanks Brothers for all the reply's!!! that's the warmiest welcome I have had other than nam. Oh wait their was No Home Coming from nam o'well that's life. Ray I was just looking at the spray maps. I was stationed in Phouc Vinh in III corp. I guess we won with the highest sprayed area. Ray I enjoy reading your posting's on some of the other boards too.
I just returned from a blood test at the Manteno Veterans Clinic. I love that place I was 12 min. in & out. I can't say enought good about the care I get at the VA. I know everybody is not happy with the care. Well my two fingers Moe & Larry are tired !!
Wayne
Old 03-14-2009, 01:10 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxfl69 View Post
Hi all,

Retired Army in 1990, started as a drafted non-volunteer in 1968. Did 68-73 in Nam, they didnít like me staying in one place. Was stationed in NaTrang, LongBenh, CamLo, DongHa. I have no VA percentages. I am perfectly normal. No Type 2 or any other, but have had 2 heart attacks. I now work for the Navy. I also have been back to Nam 4 times over the last 10 years to visit. I was really disappointed 2 trips ago when I went to the DMZ and there is nothing there but a monument that on one side says North and the other South. I just got back 3 weeks ago for TET and had a really good time in DaNang, HoiAn and Saigon. They even have a great new golf course in between DaNang and HoiAn. You would be surprised at all the Non-Oriental people that live, work and vacation there. One of these days maybe we can do a campground REUNION some place. Later got to go back to work.
Sometimes I wished I could return, to see if I could find a couple of kids in the orphanages that I befriended. Of course they are in their 40s or 50 by now.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:34 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey guy's, I really enjoy reading your stories. I was just a jump ahead of Nam, USAF 1959-1963. My brother-in-law was in Marine's and went to Nam three different tours, and greatful he came home. He retired and is currently enjoying life as I hope all of you are. All of you gave so much for our country, and never forget it. I am enjoying the peaceful retirement that I have been waiting for, and truly like the Motorhome and traveling as much as we can. Let's hope gas stays down. Good Luck,
David G. aka BEETLE IN AF
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:14 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I’ve been hesitant to add to this thread, although being a 24 year vet in the Air Force, didn’t do anything to warrant a “I was there” posting. However, I joined the AF in Nov 50 to beat the draft. Spent the majority of my time states side in FL, OR, VA, WA, TN, NM and finally retired out of Nellis AFB, NV Sept 75. With in that 24 years, 1 year in Iceland, (55-56) 13 months Thailand (69-70) and 3 years Panama (63-66). Maybe I could add two weeks TDY to Jamaica, 6 weeks TDY Hawaii @ the Barbers Point Naval Air Station, plus a few other TDYs States Side. Almost made Nam in 69. Was going to be sent 30 days TDY to Monkey Mountain but fellow Air Forcer thought it’d be neat to get a months combat pay. Yeah, almost got more then he bargained for. One night Sappers blew up the hooch he was setting in. Him not injured but another fellow Air Forcer was, he got a P.H. Anyway, for you guys and if so, gals that were there, good to know you made it back home, welcomed or not. I do have some friends that were there and have heard a few stories to make me say, “I’ve been damn lucky.”

Marty
Marty too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:06 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1BUD View Post
Sometimes I wished I could return, to see if I could find a couple of kids in the orphanages that I befriended. Of course they are in their 40s or 50 by now.
It will be hard to find them. This last trip we donated a truckload of food to 120 famlies at a DaNang Leeper colony and tried to take about 200 toys to an orpahanage in the DaNang area also. The orphanage that was there back in 2002 (we took 100 pairs of shoes that trip) are closed. As you may know they only get funding from donations and nothing from the Vietnam Government, so if they have no funds they have to close. We ended up just giving the toys to kids we seen on the streets.
jaxfl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:48 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefJohn View Post
Brother Tom, I was also the lucky recipient of a 'cold weather' tour. Beautiful island of Greenland, Thule AB -- I really enjoyed the tour and would go again if I wasn't too old!
ChiefJohn; I would like more information on you, just in case I am called to go back to Thule. Didn't care for it then and sure I want care for it now. My time there was 58-59. Spent the long war in Udorn, Thailand. What a life.

Bobby Inboden
SmSgt (Ret)

Toad: 2006 Honda CR-V
BRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:24 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Joe here, a.k.a. Doggy Daddy
Enlisted in the Army during Nam in July 71 and retired after Desert Storm in Oct 91.
I am involved with the VFW, a Past Cmdr, Service Officer, and Cpt of the Post Honor Guard augmenting the military with funeral honors providing a rifle team among other duties.
I encourage all veterans to be registered with the VA and obtain their stars & strips VA Medical Card. The VA Budget is based upon the number of veterans registered, not the number believed to have served.
I hope to be a full timer in a year or 2. I got my handle of Doggy Daddy because my mini bull terrier rides on my harley
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:59 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
I enlisted in the Navy in February of 1969 --- became an Engineman (discharged in November of 1972 as an E5). At that time, Enginemen where going to Viet Nam in droves, many not returning.

But for me --- off to Guam on a Submarine Tender (USS Proteus, AS-19) for 18 months, then off to San Diego on another Submarine Tender (USS Nereus, AS-17) for about a year, then off to Engineman C School at Great Lakes, and finally a Fleet Tug (USS Sioux, ATF-75) back in San Diego. I love those GM 248's and 278's . . . and those Screamin' Eight 268's . . . even the little three-banger 268's. Oh yeah, and those rock-crusher Alco 538's and 539's. And how about those Fairbanks-Morse --- now that's alot of pistons!!

Yep, I defended my country with a grease rag! It was a great time and I'm proud of my service.

To all the other veterans ---- those who are with us and those who have departed ---- my sincere respect and thanks go to you on every FREE day I spend in this great country.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:17 PM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was with the 114th Airmobile company in Vinh Long in 64/65. I flew hueys pretty much all over Viet Nam. Logged over 1200 hours of combat time, survived going down twice, and came home without a scratch. Really lucky, lost a lot of good friends there. Looking forward to meeting some of you guys someday. By the way I too am a type 2 diabetic and a survivor of Amelonodic melanoma skin cancer. Yes I did fly into agent orange defloliated areas. Any bodys guess if my cancer is related?
davebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:42 AM   #26

Hi Dave , Welcome Home !!!
Diabetes and your Cancer is service connected . Go to the VA for a Agent Orange scan . ( I'm sure they call it something else )
You can file on line or get a service group to handle your claim. I first filed on line them went to DAV. I was also a crewchief on Hueys with the 1st Cav.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
This is my first time reading this thread. I believe it was started before I was ever on IRV2. I had to dig back a ways to find it.

I was U S Navy 58 to 62. Solid peace time while I was in and I read the exploits of you guys and it fills me with pride just to stand in the shadows of you great men. You men are the ''true Veterans'' and ''True Hero's'' and I honor and thank you for your service. I honor and thank you for not running away like so many did.

Veterans day is coming on November 11 and that will be the day to honor all Veterans and we should all do that .....

God bless you for your service to this great nation....
Again, It is my great honor to be counted as one of you........
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi154 View Post
Hello Joe the New Guy here.
Thought I would drop-in and say Morning. I just found the board the other day and I like it!!
I served with the Army 69-71 last of the Drafted. I was with the 1st Cav in Viet Nam as a Crew chief on Hueys. Four yrs. ago I started suffering the effects of Agent Orange but that's Life. Well that's my Two Cents.
Welcome, my brother was drafted in 1969, I enlisted in 1970. Without volunteering I was sent to Vietnam, my brother never was. Such is life.