Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-03-2020, 07:33 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
How do you ID other fellow Veteran RV'ers?

Driving down the freeway how do you pick out and ID fellow Veteran RV'ers?

We are truly a proud bunch of men and women. Other than the normal giveaways Flags, Decals there are the little things you spot, that are giveaways.

Some Examples: Military green, camo covers & tarps, Hats Shirts, Tags, The way they walk, hold themselves, Gig lines fixed and much more.

So what do you see that may lead you to believe a person is a former military service member?
van-gogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2020, 07:48 AM   #2

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
Mustache.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:50 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I work with a guy, I call him 19.5. He's all GI, collects camo stuff, wears camo ball cap, has a camo knife, talks about how wonderful C-Rations are and how nasty MREs are, etc. He somehow works into every conversation how he is a veteran. He also talks about how officers are stupid, which is weird because I am a retired officer, but I digress. He says he left the military at 19.5 because he disagreed with a certain policy regarding gays. His rank on departure was E-4.

He's a class A Poser. He never served one combat tour, yet our Nation has had troops in combat for over two decades. He probably left the military because he was not allowed to re-enlist after attaining the rank of E-4 over nearly 20 years.

I'm a vet, but I don't need to stand out. I fly my flag, and if someone asks, I'll tell. I did not serve for the appreciation, but I appreciate the appreciation we receive now days. I am saddened, ashamed and disgusted how my generation treated my Vietnam brothers. I served, frankly, because flying fighters is fun, and even Hercs are a wild ride with sheepskin seats, a galley and a head. I don't know what else I would have done. I got lucky and stayed in the cockpit pretty much the whole 24 years.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:01 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We went to a Walmart yesterday morning after church to pick up some prescriptions. I wear a MACV hat which most people don't know anything about. Anyway a young man, probably 12 or 13, left his family and came to me to say thank you and shake my hand. That was nice.

I don't wear the hat for that though. I wear it to identify myself to other vets who I consider brothers. Quite often someone gives a casual salute or a nod and grin and I know they're a vet. Sometimes they even make the effort to shake hands and talk a little.

I do not want someone to buy me dinner or even coffee. In fact I don't want some hippee that cursed us when we came home wanting to shake hands to assuage their conscience. But that happens.

I saw a guy one time that just had a Vietnam service ribbon in the form of a small pin on his collar. I consider that to be a good way to do it.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:05 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
It use to be said you could tell the academy grads by their ring when they were pickin their nose
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:35 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is one way
Click image for larger version

Name:	25950.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	396.5 KB
ID:	274142
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:45 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Camo doesn't mean anything, I shot at a range where a group of guys came every weekend. They were rigged out in camo everything and we figured they had served. One day a retired Chief Master I shot with got into a conversation with them and it turned out none of them were veterans. They were just posers.

Glenn
Old 02-03-2020, 11:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
I'm a vet, but I don't need to stand out. I fly my flag, and if someone asks, I'll tell. I did not serve for the appreciation, but I appreciate the appreciation we receive now days. I am saddened, ashamed and disgusted how my generation treated my Vietnam brothers.
Well said, my brother was a Vietnam vet who was in the middle of it all. He is currently dealing with lung problems caused by agent orange, among other things.

I was only a 4 year Naval Aviation maintenance vet ('58-'62), but I feel the same as TonyMack does about these things.

I usually notice other vets by their hats or other markings while in Walmart or other stores (difficult to do on the freeway). Sometimes I talk with them and learn their stories, some of which are pretty interesting. We chat for a while usually ending by thanking each other for our service. It makes for a nice day.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:28 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Candidate bumper stickers.
SeeTheUSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:50 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
A bayonet in the teeth is usually a good indicator.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:26 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Identify patriotic Rv ers

I'm a non combat Viet-Nam vet 65-68 . I have USA flag in window of MH and plate on rear as well as Navy and Marine decals on rear. I wear Patriotic ball caps. I never received recognition as a Vet by the VFW, because I was not physically in Nam . I retired from being g the Master of Arms at the American Legion Post and 40/8 Chief De Train. Made the Honor Ride in DC with fellow bikers. Vet or no Vet I appreciate all Patriots who stand for the Flag and Thank God for the Opportunity to travel to camp grounds in the USA with a abundance of great people.
jaearhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:40 PM   #12

These indicators hold true in my neck of the woods:

1. Short military haircut with or without full beard/mustache. Seems here either the gentleman cannot wait to stop shaving, or they insist on not stopping. No middle ground. :-)

2. Almost will never see a (combat) vet seated with their back to the door. They will always be seated in restaurants facing the doors. Lol...as a lady when I go out with gentleman, I always compromise and grant them the seats facing the doors as I know they prefer & insist.

3. When talking to strangers, you will hear "sir" and "ma'am." I know in the south, this sounds more normal, but in the North it is not so much unless you are in the military.

4. Service Dogs in public. Service dogs for vets are a big deal here in MN since we lead in veteran suicide. Almost all service animals seen in stores & other public places are usually for veterans and service members.
C5c5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:20 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
If you are a vet, you are my brother. If you are a combat vet, you are my blood brother.

My flags fly 24/7 (lit at night, of course). My oath has no expiration date, so I still serve whenever I should or must.

I came through combat unscathed, but some close friends suffer still. These are the types of vets that I go out of my way to lend a hand whenever I can.

Nam was hell, but I got shot at even more during the cold war in places we still don't talk about. Was bombed three times during embassy duty. The lead up to Black Hawk down was no picnic either.

I look stupid with facial hair, but the eyes give it away. My biker gear has patches that usually get a conversation going with other vets.

Thank You for your service, and Welcome Home.
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:06 PM   #14

Some years ago I saw a man wearing a Korean war hat. I walked up to him, removed my hat, thanked him for his service, and put out my hand, we shook and he told me how much he appreciated the recognition.He then said something that made me feel sad. He said " you are the first white man to ever remove his hat to me"
I will never forget that encounter-ever. Vietnam was not the only forgotten war.
I was wearing an Army-retired cap.

Last week I had the honor to shake hands with a WWII veteran, he is 101.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
military, mindset, service members, veteran