Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:56 AM   #1

How some become Naval personnel

Having passed the enlistment physical, Jon was asked by the doctor, "Why do you want to join the Navy, son?"

"My father said it'd be a good idea, Sir."

"Oh? And what does your father do?"

"He's in the Marines, Sir."
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #2

As an ex-pat Brit, with no military experience whatsoever (I missed conscription in the UK by about 6 months), I was amazed when my son announced he was going to join the USN as an early enlistee straight out of high school. His argument was that he had no particular interest that would translate into a career path.

He signed on for a 5 year active/5 year reserve and was assigned to the USS Curts, a Perry-Class frigate which was berthed in Yukosaka. He actually served 6/4, and in the process found himself a Japanese wife, whom we love dearly.

He used his education cerdits to get a Microsoft Certifed Sevice Enginner ticket, and after a few years in our local area, is now working in Tokyo as the area IT manager (I think - he doesn't talk about his job very much) for the French company Dassault Systemes (the CATIA guys).

He says his Navy experience was the best thing that ever happened, he got a career and a wife out of it.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mick,
I understood!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:53 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Having passed the enlistment physical, Jon was asked by the doctor, "Why do you want to join the Navy, son?"

"My father said it'd be a good idea, Sir."

"Oh? And what does your father do?"

"He's in the Marines, Sir."
Funny!

I was almost a marine I spent a hitch in both the Army and the Navy
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I spent over four years in the Marine Corps in the early 1960's. After hearing my great stories and tales about life in the Corps they both joined the Navy. I was disapointed they did not chose USMC but they did make a good decision in joining a branch of the military. It was a good educational experience for both and I'd kind of like to see all the kids spend a couple of years in the service for the "educational experience".
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
As an ex-pat Brit, with no military experience whatsoever (I missed conscription in the UK by about 6 months), I was amazed when my son announced he was going to join the USN as an early enlistee straight out of high school. His argument was that he had no particular interest that would translate into a career path.

He signed on for a 5 year active/5 year reserve and was assigned to the USS Curts, a Perry-Class frigate which was berthed in Yukosaka. He actually served 6/4, and in the process found himself a Japanese wife, whom we love dearly.

He used his education cerdits to get a Microsoft Certifed Sevice Enginner ticket, and after a few years in our local area, is now working in Tokyo as the area IT manager (I think - he doesn't talk about his job very much) for the French company Dassault Systemes (the CATIA guys).

He says his Navy experience was the best thing that ever happened, he got a career and a wife out of it.
Be glad you weren't here during the draft during Vietnam. I went through basic training in the Army with a Brit that was here on a green card and happened to be of draft age.

Also served with a guy that was born in Michigan to South African parents, grew up in South Africa, then moved back to Michigan and he too was drafted. I don't remember his name but do remember his nick name. "Alphabet" He was called that because no one could actually pronounce his real name.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:28 AM   #7

I was British with a Green Card and actually drafted in 1965 into the US Armed Forces. I hid the draft letter and ran down and joined the Navy. Raised my hand and was sworn in and boy did they get upset when I told them I had been drafted. Stayed in the Navy for 26 years and loved it. I was then sworn in as a US Citizen by Judge Sarah T. Huges who swore Johnson in after President Kennedy was killed. That was a rough time period for getting drafted and going to Viet Nam. All my buddies that went into the Marines and Army went to Viet Nam. I flew several missions off the coast of Viet Nam out of the Philippines but that was all. Never got in country.

Talk about the Marines being rough. We all flew to San Diego for boot camp. At the airport we had two lines, one for going to the Navy boot camp and one for going to the Marine boot camp. We were all scared to death and 5 sailors got in the Marine line by mistake and spent two weeks in Marine boot camp before they had enough courage to tell them they were really sailors. They sent them to back to the Navy boot camp were they started over again.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #8

Joined the Navy during the Vietnam "crisis" and only regret now that I didn't stay in. Always told my kids it would be a good career, but none of them have served.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #9

Coastal Campers
As a second generation USMC Brat and USN retiree I have watched this thread since it's beginning..

One thing that has not been mentioned yet.. the thread title is
" How some become Naval personal".. the Naval Services are USN & USMC.. IE: Navy personnel and Marine Corps personnel..

No Marine stories?
Old 05-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #10

Someone has to join the USN how would us Marines get around.
dagray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:01 PM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The USMC is a department of the navy, the men's department.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:18 AM   #12

Wayne you are killing me with old tired jokes.

Yes the Corps is the senior Naval service but you can't hide from the fact that you are a part of the Department of Navy and may I add the part that goes over the fence last!

Jeff
GO NAVY
Fly Navy
AAL747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:35 AM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Jeff,
You just showed your age.

The Marine Corps is to the navy what the handle is to the bed chamber pot.

We are attached to it, we are not in it.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:19 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not in the least on your subject but I am so proud I just gotta tell someone. My son is in the Navy--finishes his last cruise before retirement--I will join a Tiger Cruise in Hawaii and be with him arriving at home port San Diego this June----USS Carl Vinson---the final resting place of that scoundral OBL-------I can hardly wait.

My best to all of you who have served.

Stone, SGT, 19700205, 12-13-42
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote