Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:21 PM   #1

IMPORTANT - VA re-opens registration

http://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel

VA Reopening Health Care Enrollment to Thousands of Veterans
WASHINGTON (June 19, 2009) -

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), which now has nearly 8 million Veterans enrolled in its award-winning health care system,

is poised to welcome nearly 266,000 more Veterans into its medical centers and clinics across the country by

expanding access to health care enrollment for certain Veterans who had been excluded due to their income.

"This incremental approach to expanding enrollment ensures that access to VA health care for a greater number of beneficiaries does not sacrifice timely access or quality medical care for those Veterans already enrolled in VA's health care system," Dr. Gerald Cross, VA's Acting Under Secretary for Health, said. "Over the next four years, we hope to provide enrollment to more than 500,000 Veterans."

Under a new regulation effective June 15, VA will enroll Veterans whose income exceeds current means-tested thresholds by up to 10 percent.

These Veterans were excluded from VA health care enrollment when income limits were imposed in 2003 on Veterans with no service-connected disabilities or other special eligibility for care.

There is no income limit for Veterans with compensable service-connected disabilities or for Veterans being seen for their service-connected disabilities.

Veterans who have applied for VA health care but were rejected due to income at any point in 2009 will have their applications reconsidered under the new income threshold formula.

Those who applied before 2009, but were rejected due to income, must reapply.

VA will contact these Veterans through a direct-mail campaign, Veterans service organizations, and a national and regional marketing campaign.
Information about enrollment and an income and assets calculator are available at VA Health Care Eligibility & Enrollment . .

The calculator provides a format in which Veterans enter their household income, number of dependents, and zip codes to see if they may qualify for VA health care enrollment.

In addition to applying online, Veterans may also contact VA's Health Benefits Service Center at 1-877-222 VETS (1-877-222-8387).

Each VA medical center across the country has an enrollment coordinator available to provide Veterans with enrollment and eligibility information.
John Harrelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2009, 04:59 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
JMHO, but the VA can keep its health care. I wouldn't send my dog to a VA clinic. Underfunded, with bottom of the barrel staff that could care less about the veteran population. After ten years in their system, I could tell you stories that defy belief, but are true.

Those who can afford health care elsewhere are better served by NOT going to the VA.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:50 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
i receive VA care and am very satisfied those who are not should seek out a patient adviser.that being said i am only had dealings w/nashville and murfreesboro facilities
brianj
Old 06-21-2009, 06:35 PM   #4

Same experience here in Central Florida. Excellent care is being provided by the VA.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:56 PM   #5

DH receives excellent care at the Indy VA. He also has visited a number of others in our travels and our only negative one was in Vermont. Though the attention to the problem was fine they kept mentioning the cost of his care. The VA is like many hospitals with to many patients and not enough docs/nurses. Keep on Congress to fund our military both active and retired and it's needs.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:42 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
I'm happy to see that there are many veterans satisfied with VA health care.

But my personal experiences, along with the recent press regarding standards of hygiene that may have exposed thousands of vets to possible HIV infection, simply because the staff didn't want to follow standard operating procedure, lead me AWAY from the local VA clinic.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Just check out most of the hospitals that have screwups within that hospital. I too, go to the VA and receive excellent care. I use the West Palm Beach location. I have never had to wait more than 15 min. to see a Dr. Can you say that about you hospital or dr? Doubt it. Just my two cents worth.
George
Old 06-21-2009, 08:20 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by two gone rvn View Post
Just check out most of the hospitals that have screwups within that hospital. I too, go to the VA and receive excellent care. I use the West Palm Beach location. I have never had to wait more than 15 min. to see a Dr. Can you say that about you hospital or dr? Doubt it. Just my two cents worth.
George
When I used the VA, I used the Pensacola clinic location. Three or more hours to see a doctor were commonplace. If you had lab work, you HAD to show up at 0830. It didn't matter if your appointment was at 1400. You just had to watch TV or read two year old magazines.

I would show up on time for appointments, only to be told my appointment was cancelled due to staffing shortages. This after driving 65 miles to get there. And since I didn't see the doctor, no travel pay reimbursement was authorized.

The VA has since opened up clinics at Eglin Air Force Base and Naval Station Pensacola. My wife, also a vet, says the service is much improved. But that wouldn't be hard when the service was abysmal to begin with.

As for your question about waiting times, I am now seen at Eglin AFB's 96th Medical Group. I check in and it is rare that I even warm the seat in the waiting room before I am called back to the exam area. And my doctor will call me after hours or on a weekend if he sees something abnormal.

I don't think I would get the same level of care at the VA clinic. But that is just my humble opinion.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-28-2009, 03:13 PM   #9

Since the good folks at the Spokane VA Medical Center just saved my life three weeks ago, you will not find me complaining about the care I have received there. And no, I am not exaggerating in the least.

With that said, I am aware that some clinics have problems and I have been in a couple with problems. But as someone who has dealt with the VA on a regular basis over the years in almost every state in the west, it has been my experience that the good facilities and staffs have far outweighed the sub-standard ones by far. So bash away, but don't lump the entire system in with the bad apples -- that isn't fair.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:41 PM   #10

Received my letter last week containing a new application, w/instructions to deliver it to the nearest VA office/clinic/hospital ASAP. It says the rules haven't changed, just relaxed.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:48 PM   #11

I retired in 83 after 22+ years service. VA gave me 10% service connected and some 0% items. I never asked for an increase until today. Did it via phone with my info being sent to the Center in New Orleans.

I have prostate cancer and periphral Neuropathy and had I ever had boots on the ground in Nam I understand automatic 100% but I only spent the better part of 5 years on Guam. Can't prove exposure to Agent Orange so don't know.

The 10 % was for arthiritis and I now have one total knee replaced and needing the other one but cancelled operation because first one not worth ****. I also have Spinal Stenosis so hope this gets me an increase to at least 50 % so I can get both retirement and VA.
LostTexan is offline   Reply With Quote