Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:02 AM   #113
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Before I buy anything at Walmart, I check first if it's available at Lowes or Home Depot. If it is, that's where I shop. Asked a Walmart employee once why their store is not extending discounts for military/veterans, I was told that their store already offer cheap prices for their items.
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #114

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Is there any way to shrink a DD214 with a PC and still have it legible? I have an HP scanner, digital camera, MSPaint, Photoshop and the software that came with the camera.
You can probably take the document to Office Max or any of the office supply stores and have them reduce it to wallet size. Walgreens photo dept can probably do it too.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:15 PM   #115

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by w6pea View Post
I don't even remember getting mine...
I woke up and it was there.....the worst part was that when it was put there I was not of legal drinking age.

Some times I look at it and think what a fool I was to get it
But then I think about the guys I was in the Corps with so it all works out.

You should have heard my Dad he really got upset. Called me almost every name in the book and he would say and to think I spent 30 years in the US Navy and the only marks I have to show for it is the scare on my right shoulder!

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't Need It ! Motor-T
I was in the Navy with a guy that got a multi-colored eagle with wings spread across his chest from armpit to armpit that he claims he didn't know how it got there either. His was from too much tequila in Mexico. Boy he was sore for quite a while afterward.
I was Army and Navy plus my father had tats but at this date as of yet I have none.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:20 PM   #116

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
You can probably take the document to Office Max or any of the office supply stores and have them reduce it to wallet size. Walgreens photo dept can probably do it too.
If you go to the local VA for treatment or other things and need to revisit the facility, they usually set you up with a photo ID that then can be used in restaurants and other establishments for those discounts,
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:43 PM   #117

Many places give Vets a discount. I have my retired ID card in a plastic window in my wallet. I don't know how many places have offered me a discount when they see my ID card.

Home Depot will match Lowes discount but sometimes you have to remind Home Depot about Lowes offer.

JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:11 PM   #118

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom View Post
.. Asked a Walmart employee once why their store is not extending discounts for military/veterans, I was told that their store already offer cheap prices for their items...
That's true.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #119
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Camping this week at Natural Bridge VA. Just to see, I ask if they had discounts for Vets at the local establishments. They all had 10% off. The zoo, caverns and bridge walk. Even the gift shops when the DW had to have one of everything... That we do not have room for, but will end up in the workshop she turned into storage.... I digress.

It is Nice to be appreciated and everyone was very respectful. How many discounts have I passed up over the years for not asking.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #120

Medina Ohio Home Depot refused to honor my Veterans Administration ID card today. Said I had to be disabled or retired. Told store manager that was my last visit to HD and would take my credit card to Lowes from now on.
shadrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #121

National RV Owners Club
This is what Lowes says about the military discount:
Lowe's established the 10% Military Discount to support the men and women who are currently serving our country in the Armed Services1 and to honor Retired Veterans and VA Recipients.2 This 10% discount is also extended to the immediate family3 of those who are currently serving, Retired Veterans, or VA Recipients.
To qualify for the Everyday 10% Military Discount, you must:
Be currently serving in, or retired from, a qualifying branch of the Armed Services, or be the immediate family member of someone who is and have a valid military ID Card.
Or:
Be a veteran who receives VA benefits and have a valid Veteran Identification Card (VIC).
We honor all Veterans on three specific holidays: Memorial Day, 4th of July and Veterans Day. During these three holiday weekends, we extend the discount to all veterans who served honorably and who present a valid Form DD214 or other proof of service. The Lowe’s Military Discount is extended to the Veteran community on these three holidays only.
The Military Discount must be used on personal purchases only and cannot be used for Lowes.com purchases, previous sales, or the purchase of gift cards or services including product installations. It cannot be combined with the Lowe’s Price Guarantee, or promotions such as "Spend and Get," "New Mover," "Project Starter," "Your Choice," or discounts such as Quote Support Program (QSP) quotes.

Home Depot has a similar set of guidelines.

Simply stated the discount is not meant for all veterans except on Memorial Day, Independence Day and Veteran days. You and run a search on military discount Lowes (or Home Depot) for the policies.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #122

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
This is what Lowes says about the military discount:
Lowe's established the 10% Military Discount to support the men and women who are currently serving our country in the Armed Services1 and to honor Retired Veterans and VA Recipients.2 This 10% discount is also extended to the immediate family3 of those who are currently serving, Retired Veterans, or VA Recipients.
To qualify for the Everyday 10% Military Discount, you must:
Be currently serving in, or retired from, a qualifying branch of the Armed Services, or be the immediate family member of someone who is and have a valid military ID Card.
Or:
Be a veteran who receives VA benefits and have a valid Veteran Identification Card (VIC).
We honor all Veterans on three specific holidays: Memorial Day, 4th of July and Veterans Day. During these three holiday weekends, we extend the discount to all veterans who served honorably and who present a valid Form DD214 or other proof of service. The Lowe’s Military Discount is extended to the Veteran community on these three holidays only.
The Military Discount must be used on personal purchases only and cannot be used for Lowes.com purchases, previous sales, or the purchase of gift cards or services including product installations. It cannot be combined with the Lowe’s Price Guarantee, or promotions such as "Spend and Get," "New Mover," "Project Starter," "Your Choice," or discounts such as Quote Support Program (QSP) quotes.

Home Depot has a similar set of guidelines.

Simply stated the discount is not meant for all veterans except on Memorial Day, Independence Day and Veteran days. You and run a search on military discount Lowes (or Home Depot) for the policies.
Bob
That clarifies things a lot. Thanks. I was at Loews yesterday, and I asked the gal about the discount, and she said I needed a picture ID from the VA, but she would give it to me this time, being the 4th of July holiday.... So, I called the Portland VA, and they said come on down and we'll take your picture and issue your VIC. It's a picture ID, should work like a charm. Like Taz said earlier, How many discounts have I been passing up all these years? Happy Fourth of July to all you "old guys", and gals too!
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #123

Dunno people, am I the only one that sees the irony here with this discount thing? I mean here we are in a thread full of posts about getting a discount because we served in the Armed Forces, but yet some of us are sitting in a 1/2 million dollar coach trying to save two bucks on a bacon sandwich.

I served my three years in the Army, did the Vietnam thing and eventually retired from the fire department after 20 years.

I lived in a military town for 27 years that offered discounts to GIs in uniform. I would ask if they offered discounts to police and firefighters in uniform and the answer was always no, just GIs. Those places went on the 'boycott' list and no longer existed for me unless it was an emergency.

This was before all the trouble in Iraq and all those places. Back then a GI hadn't been elevated to HERO status yet by the media and a PC society.

I don't ask for a senior's discount, former military discount, retired firefighter discount or any discount at all. If I'm that close to the bone that I need to ask for a few bucks off then I probably don't need the item.

Even it it's a hundred bucks off my feeling is if I can't pay the same price as my other family members or any other person that was never in the military, my Mom for one, then I don't need it.

As for discounts, save them for the elderly, they need it more than some lifer, double dipper driving a diesel pusher down the road looking for the next 10% off sign.
sundancer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #124

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sundancer, sorry that you feel that your service as a fireman was slighted. I am one of those lifers who you are upset about I guess, though after more than 30 years I didn't "double dip". If a retail establishment has a policy of giving a military discount, I take it. I have also been known to take advantage of advertised sales. I also do not complain if an establishment has a policy of giving discounts to first responders but not military.

Each one of us chooses where to shop based on our own criteria. You have chosen to avoid patronizing those who discount for military but not firemen. That is your right, and I will not condemn you for that. And those who choose to patronize shops that offer a miltary discount are excercising their rights also, and do not deserve to be shamed for doing so either.
Cum catapultae proscriptae soli proscript catapultas habebunt
gray ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #125
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray ghost View Post
Sundancer, sorry that you feel that your service as a fireman was slighted. I am one of those lifers who you are upset about I guess, though after more than 30 years I didn't "double dip". If a retail establishment has a policy of giving a military discount, I take it. I have also been known to take advantage of advertised sales. I also do not complain if an establishment has a policy of giving discounts to first responders but not military.

Each one of us chooses where to shop based on our own criteria. You have chosen to avoid patronizing those who discount for military but not firemen. That is your right, and I will not condemn you for that. And those who choose to patronize shops that offer a miltary discount are excercising their rights also, and do not deserve to be shamed for doing so either.
Well said gray ghost.

I have no shame for accepting discounts for my service. And some day I hope I can afford one of those diesel pushers. That 10% helps me get closer for the day when I can retire.

I did not serve long enough to double dip, but I appreciate the commitment of those who have earned their retirement. They earned it, and I feel we should be grateful for their dedication and service. And yes I am greatful for firefighters and police officers many of which are close friends.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:09 AM   #126

Solo Rvers Club
Sundancer -- I'm pretty sure that some Big Box stores give military discounts (and other kinds of discounts) NOT because we need to save a couple bucks on a bacon sandwich, and not because they think we're all heroes, but because they can actually show a little appreciation, AND AT THE SAME TIME cultivate their mostly male customer base, many of whom have served in the military and who, after serving, will be fixing up their houses. It's probably a pretty smart business decision.... however, I'm a big supporter of individual freedoms, so I would certainly honor your choice to boycott such foolishness.... BTW, like most of us in this thread, I appreciate your service; it looks like we were in the same branch at the same time.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote