Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-18-2021, 04:01 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Kudo’s to VA

Having bashed the VA in the past, to be fair I must tell of a very good recent experience. Last month I was told a biopsy of the prostrate was in order. So being medicare eligible I tried to get a second opinion downtown. To my surprise they were booked up farther ahead than the VA was by several weeks.

So I proceeded with the VA appt. i have to say that it was as good as such things can be. I was on the operating table before my scheduled appt time, out in record time and have absolutely no complaints about the staff or my procedure.

I got the results back in two days, not the two weeks I was told to expect. Fortunately, the results were negative, so not much else will be done at this time.

When the doc finished she asked me if I had any questions. Trying to be a smart alec I said since I enjoyed this so much, can I schedule another one next next week? Not phased in the least she replied “actually we can do another one right now since we had a cancellation this morning”.

After the laughs subsided, I lamely muttered no thanks, I had enough fun for today.

Since the COVID outbreak, it seems the VA is not nearly as busy and can actually do it’s job. I just wonder where the crowds that used to be there have gone?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2021, 10:40 AM   #2

Interesting take on the lack of crowds at the VA. I maybe saw that the other day at the VA Clinic nearby when I went in for my yearly. Hardly anyone there when in past visits it was always crowded.

I have 3 things going on, bad knees, prostate issues requiring surgery, and something new, my heels started hurting in Nov. Makes it hard to walk sometimes.

Surprised me that I can get into the VA hospital in Las Vegas in early February for ultrasound and xrays. My PA here in town thought that the prostate surgery could be done before the end of February. Which I'm really happy about.

So I hope you're right and everything can be done quickly...prostate and knees are the big ones that affect my quality of life.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 11:40 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
That prostate stuff killed my Dad many years ago.

I was cavalier about the tests until almost too late.

Had the surgery in 2006.

Still hanging around urging guys to get it attended too.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 11:58 AM   #4

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
Having bashed the VA in the past, to be fair I must tell of a very good recent experience. Last month I was told a biopsy of the prostrate was in order. So being medicare eligible I tried to get a second opinion downtown. To my surprise they were booked up farther ahead than the VA was by several weeks.

So I proceeded with the VA appt. i have to say that it was as good as such things can be. I was on the operating table before my scheduled appt time, out in record time and have absolutely no complaints about the staff or my procedure.

I got the results back in two days, not the two weeks I was told to expect. Fortunately, the results were negative, so not much else will be done at this time.

When the doc finished she asked me if I had any questions. Trying to be a smart alec I said since I enjoyed this so much, can I schedule another one next next week? Not phased in the least she replied “actually we can do another one right now since we had a cancellation this morning”.

After the laughs subsided, I lamely muttered no thanks, I had enough fun for today.

Since the COVID outbreak, it seems the VA is not nearly as busy and can actually do it’s job. I just wonder where the crowds that used to be there have gone?
Hi all..
I have been the fortunate recipient of really great timely treatment at my home region VA in Denver... BUT, I am spending the winter here in Tucson and ended up with pneumonia and have been struggling for almost 6 weeks with the effects! I am considered a "Visiting" Vet and can only get access to care through the emergency room at the VA here in Tucson. Even with the traveling vet representative (In Denver) trying to intercede for me on my behalf. The local rep wouldn't even call back!
I am a 100% disabled agent orange vet from Vietnam.. So my immune system is highly compromised but no matter.. I am sorely disappointed in the system! Still sick!
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhusak View Post
Hi all..
I have been the fortunate recipient of really great timely treatment at my home region VA in Denver... BUT, I am spending the winter here in Tucson and ended up with pneumonia and have been struggling for almost 6 weeks with the effects! I am considered a "Visiting" Vet and can only get access to care through the emergency room at the VA here in Tucson. Even with the traveling vet representative (In Denver) trying to intercede for me on my behalf. The local rep wouldn't even call back!
I am a 100% disabled agent orange vet from Vietnam.. So my immune system is highly compromised but no matter.. I am sorely disappointed in the system! Still sick!
Ron
That's too bad, Ron. Hope you get it worked out quickly. And/Or get over the pneumonia soon.

Old 01-18-2021, 01:22 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Ron, what does the Denver rep suggest you do next?

I know our local clinic is nearly deserted in the waiting area when I had to do a face to face meeting with my doctor recently.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:53 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I THINK there's a procedure for having your records available to other facilities when you're traveling, but I've never looked in to it. I would suggest contacting your "home" facility to figure it all out.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:13 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
can only get access to care through the emergency room at the VA here in Tucson.
Ron, first, WELCOME HOME!

Is there some reason you're not wanting to go to the ER? Since that's what they're telling you to do to get treatment, I would suggest doing what they say - If it were me, ER here I'd come.

Get well soon
woodbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 04:35 PM   #9

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Ron, what does the Denver rep suggest you do next?

I know our local clinic is nearly deserted in the waiting area when I had to do a face to face meeting with my doctor recently.
My Denver rep says all I can do is go to VA emergency or a Civilian hospital emergency room.. Here the local VA has contracted with several "Urgent"care places. I went they couldn't even do a XRay!
Thank goodness I feel quite a bit better today...
I really feel let down by the system!
Ron
Old 01-19-2021, 04:36 PM   #10

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
I THINK there's a procedure for having your records available to other facilities when you're traveling, but I've never looked in to it. I would suggest contacting your "home" facility to figure it all out.
They did do that... They can see my records.. But I can't see the doc!!! My home rep really went to bat and was clearly sorry he couldn't do more.. They have tried really hard!
Old 01-19-2021, 04:38 PM   #11

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbender View Post
Ron, first, WELCOME HOME!

Is there some reason you're not wanting to go to the ER? Since that's what they're telling you to do to get treatment, I would suggest doing what they say - If it were me, ER here I'd come.

Get well soon
Yeah, you are right.. But it's like 40 miles away! And the facility is like a maze with fences and all blocking stuff... BUT, there is a clinic like 10 miles away that is a no go for me... Go figure!
Old 01-20-2021, 09:31 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ron, if I may say so, you seem very resistant to using the VA system like it is set up.

You can gripe all you want that you don't like it the way it is, but meanwhile, you're sick and you need care.

Again, if I may, you, of course know you could get a ride to and from the VA, but I have a feeling you'll have some reason why you would not use the available transportation.

I'd hate to see your health deteriorate because you're a stubborn old fart. (Ok.. I admit it takes one to know one....lol).

Please get a grip. Call the VA. Get a ride. Take a taxi. Call Uber. Get some care. You've earned it.

Treat this as if your life is at stake. Please.
woodbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 03:06 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhusak View Post
Hi all..
Ron
I understand your problem, traveling vet here and we are in Goodyear. Went last week to get eye exam from private place the VA setup the appointment. Now I have been trying to call to get an appointment at the VA to get my glasses. Since last Friday I have called 17 times and can not get thru. I am also having issues getting my 2nd shingles shot, since December 15th I have been trying almost 2 dozens times. Leave messages but no return calls, now I know why I have heard the Phoenix VA is the worst of the places to try to get anything done.
San Antonio VA center treated me great. Registered in 1/2 hour, got my prescriptions filled, all in the same day.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 05:11 PM   #14

It's amazing that as a traveling vet, when I go to the VA clinic near wherever I happened to want to stay for a few days to a few weeks, that I hear the same thing when I ask how the VA care is in that area. Almost always the same - BAD. That's what I often hear...but what I find is almost always different than that. The treatment seems pretty good to me...it's the administration of care that seems to be the difficult part for vets needing care to navigate.

Dunno what the answer is, I just know it's screwed up. I had to go to the ER twice back during T-day week and just the other day received a notice from the VA that they weren't going to pay for a large portion of one of the bills. I have no idea why, but I'll be asking the VA hospital vet helper person when I go over there soon.