Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #1

MEB

I just found out today that I will be getting Med boarded out of the Army. The process will be starting later this week. Last May, I was in Afghanistan when the vehicle I was riding in hit an IED. Luckily, no one was killed (I was the most seriously injured out of the group). My left ankle was broken and my right ankle was completely shattered. In addition, I had a moderate TBI. I had surgery on my right ankle to repair the damage (the left ankle was booted and left to heal on its own). My question is that I have heard so much about the Med board but I don't really know what's true and what's not. I don't completely understand the process and am wondering if anyone has any advice for me on the ins and outs of the process. Thanks in advance!

Alex
TurboLQ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #2

I experience a MEB last year but was retained. Here are several sites to help answer your questions. One is a forum that has members who work or have worked with the VA claims. Knowledge is power in knowing what you are entitled to. Best of luck to you.

What is the MEB

Physical Evaluation Board Forum

VA Claims Information

VA Disability and Compensation Calculator
Old 03-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Make copies of ALL your medical files. You are entitled to copies, it is the law. I did that before I got out. My copies were the only copies around of my medical stuff to show that yes I got hurt while in. Of course that was 20 yrs ago and maybe they will have your files when and if you go to file for VA disability but I would not bet on it.
If you can, see a private doctor not involved with the military that will attest to your injuries. Sometimes the private doctor's notes carry more weight than VA/military ones.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
If you have notes from a private doctor they can be included but, they DO NOT carry any more weight than the VA doctor that you will see for your Compensation and Pension Exam. You will have to see a doctor at either a VA Hospital, VA Clinic or, a doctor authorized by the VA. All of the paperwork will be sent to the VA Regional Office that covers the area where you live. That is where your evaluation for the amount of compensation you will receive will be made. The people that do this ARE NOT doctors they administrative law people. If you do not agree with them you can appeal their decision.

Jerry
Old 03-12-2013, 06:53 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Alex, something else I thought of you might want to do. Get in touch with a DAV Rep. That person can become your new best friend real quick. They take care of all the paper work. You provide them with all of your copies and they do the rest of the work for you. All you have to do is sign the paper work. They know the ins and outs just about as well as anyone that I know of.

Jerry
Old 03-12-2013, 07:20 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
DAV, VFW or any number of organizations have reps that will help you go thru the paperwork with and for the VA. The VA also has reps that are not connected with the VA. It is mostly up to you to make sure you have all your paperwork, the rep cannot read your mind so make sure you understand what is going on with the whole thing. Some reps will do everything for you and some will just fill out some paperwork but "forget" other things. It is up to you to make sure things are getting done. 20 years in the system has taught me that.
As for the private doc thing - Even thou the VA report can say something sometimes it takes a private doctor to point out the same thing for them to say "oh yea there is that" ask me how I know that sometimes it takes private docs to point out what they already know .....
Old 03-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
For direct, one on one advice: please contact (private message) Alan Alford via his Facebook: Veterans Benefits Support. For over 18 years, Alan & his wife Robin have helped Veterans with claims, benefits etc. Often, Alan will share his Phone number to personally talk with you.
jimpat4649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Alex,
First, I'm very sorry to hear of your injury. I wish you well.

The MEB is the Active Duty Medical Evaluation board. They will determine what percentage that they will give you. I don't know what percentage is required for Medical Retirement, but that is the one that you want to strive for. Depending on the percentage you may get an ID(Ret) card.

You have not suffered only the injuries that were visible. There may be other injuries that are just as traumatic as the physical ones. That is one of the reasons you need to talk to a DAV rep, to see what your options are, and if you suffer any mental disabilities from the accident.

I believe the VA is the after fact and they will give you additional (or not) depending on their evaluations.

I'm not an expert, but please do find someone that is.

Thank you for your service.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Alex: Are you asking about the Army MEB or the VA' MEB ? I realize the VA MEB could follow the Army MEB.

Having been a member of the evaluation board, I always asked "What do you want to do and are you able to do it ?". Change MOS and stay in or do you want to be discharged ? We went from there. That was in the 70's and at Fort Sam Houston.
Things change over the years and at that time all of the board members were combat veterans. Very sympathetic people.

Let us know how you fare. Good luck and as you see many VA experts here.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

I don't know what percentage is required for Medical Retirement, but that is the one that you want to strive for. Depending on the percentage you may get an ID(Ret) card.

You have not suffered only the injuries that were visible. There may be other injuries that are just as traumatic as the physical ones. That is one of the reasons you need to talk to a DAV rep, to see what your options are, and if you suffer any mental disabilities from the accident.
My FIL was a Vietnam vet. He 3-9 Marines. He was 100% P&T. At 70% he could still work a job, anything over that 70% you can't.
100% P&T requires no further C&P's either. It allows for Champ VA and allows spousal support in some( maybe all) cases.
Good luck and thanks for your sacrifice.
HTFireMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Wayne's (Post #8) was posted while I was working the keyboard. His advice is good.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
AT 70% or better by the VA you are considered unemployable but only if you fill out and sign the papers. I'm not sure if they pay you at the 100% level. Also, it does not matter what your age is, 70% or better - unemployable, even if you are 90 years old.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you attain the 70% level and file for unemployable status and it is approved you will be paid at the 100% rate. After "X" number of years, mine was 10 if I remember right, and you are still considered unemployable it will be considered permanent and total. It cannot be changed or taken away from you.

Jerry
Old 03-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #14

He's being boarded through the Army. The VA process will follow later.

Read the links that I previously posted. The Army can medically discharge you at any percent based on the Code of Federal Regulations http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=d741c52f7d5b47cff93ecd0ec686fc0a&rg n=div5&view=text&node=38:1.0.1.1.5&idno=38

The MEB will review your case and decide the following based only on the unfitting issue. Example: Asthma, back pain, knee mobility. The unfitting issue is the Asthma.

The MEB will determine:

- Fit for duty (soldier returns to unit and normal duties)

- Separate without benefits (condition existed prior to service and was not permanently aggravated by service)

- Severance pay (0%, 10%, or 20%. Percentage relates to degree of severity).Severance pay is a one-time lump sum payment made at the time of the soldiers separation

- A rating of 30% or more results in a retirement (temporary or permanent)

Once you have completed the MEB, you will then begin the PEB process. They confirm the MEB findings and are the one who actually rates your unfitting disability.

Then you can begin your VA claim process. Your MOS, unfitting condition, years of service all is considered on if you remain or are discharged from service.