Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-19-2020, 07:39 PM   #435

The A-7C was actually the first 67 a/c in the A-7E production line, with the TF30-P-8 engine. All succeeding A-7E's had the TF41. The TA-7C was indeed a two-seater that utilized converted A-7B or A-7C airframes, upgraded to A-7E standards.
zipmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2020, 09:25 PM   #436

The good old days, A7-A with the Pratt&Whitney P6, the A7-B PW P408 and the good old TA7-C had the P408 also. The fuel control on the P6 was as big as the entire gearbox on a F404-400/402.
Bill
Old 11-20-2020, 06:11 AM   #437

The USN A7-E Aircraft

I was at the LTV factory at Grand Prairie, TX in 1969. I was a member of the A7-E maintenance manual verification & validation team. All team members were allowed to wear civilian clothing at work. We lived two to a room at a nearby apartment complex.

At work a completed aircraft was placed in a circular building they called a rotunda. That allowed each maintenance specialty team to be of equal distance to the aircraft. Each team had a navy rep from each rating working with a counterpart from the other RAG squadron. Each rating had a team of at least 5 factory works familiar with their area of responsibility.

Our badges gave us free access to nearly all activities at the factory. The USAF A7-D aircraft were being built on another assembly line and we often went and looked at some of the maintenance differences between the two models.

Here is a picture of the Navy members from both participating squadrons (VA-125 and VA-174). I’m first left in the 2nd row. The next picture is a glimpse of a 1969 production line.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LTV Factory 1968 4.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	418.1 KB
ID:	308653 Click image for larger version

Name:	LTV factory 1968 - 2 .jpg
Views:	32
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	308654
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:37 PM   #438

For me shock and awe was setting just off the side at the end of the active runway in a crash truck when 10 or 12 of the fully loaded alert B52's would be scrambling. During taking off (I think it was 10 second intervals) they would be airborne almost directly overhead number 2 would be rolling before number 1 was airborne. By the time the 4th one was airborne you could no longer see down the runway due to exhaust smoke. B 52's don't take off like any other aircraft when they start out the outriggers at the end of the wings are on the ground the wings actually bend up with speed and the aircraft just lifts off the ground and never noses up just gains altitude while the aircraft is in horizontal flight. Really a sight to behold.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:31 AM   #439
YC1

That Rotax engine in the Predator is about bullet proof I suspect. Amazing what that little four cylinder engine can do.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:30 PM   #440

FastEagle - When I was with the F/A-18 Fleet Introduction Team aka FIT Team, we did much the same thing. Tech. Pubs mainly at the factory in St.Louis was MacAir then. Also traveled to Phoenix for the APU and good old Lynn, Mass for the GE engines. Spent a lot of time away from home on that tour of duty but it was one of the most challenging and rewarding tours I had. The flight attendants on the flight from Fresno to St.Louis knew us all by first names, got a lot of free little bottles of Jack.
Bill
Old 11-27-2020, 12:58 AM   #441

Sure hope I did not kill this thread, I won't post anymore on here promise. I can see my Navy career wasn't as stellar as some on here.
Adios
Old 11-27-2020, 12:15 PM   #442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Sure hope I did not kill this thread, I won't post anymore on here promise. I can see my Navy career wasn't as stellar as some on here.
Adios
Adios my a$$! Quit talking like that sailor.
It was guys like you who did your jobs and did them well for little money and little thanks who made it possible for me to have some interesting stories to tell. Some of my best memories of my time in the Navy were in the squadron Maintenance Department as an Av/Weps Division Officer, Quality Assurance Officer and Safety Officer hanging out with you guys and learning everything I could from you.
I feel lucky to be able to hear your stories on this thread. I'm still learning from you guys and enjoying it immensely. Please keep them coming.
In case you haven't heard it before, Bravo Zulu for all you guys did to keep those of us who depended on you to keep us flying and keeping us safe.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:44 PM   #443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Adios
Hang in here! I enjoy reading of past experiences from everyone. I don't say anything because all I know of is mud, water, sweat, sweltering heat and hearing the zoomies overhead. Now I get to read what some of what others experienced. My BIL was in the brown water navy in Nam. While he was on R&R in Hawaii with my sister, his boat was sank(mine) losing all aboard including his replacement. He never got over that and felt guilty for not being there.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:22 PM   #444

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
That Rotax engine in the Predator is about bullet proof I suspect. Amazing what that little four cylinder engine can do.
Here you go YC1.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7E9A1B41-CB27-48F6-A07D-FA7A176F939E.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	309553   Click image for larger version

Name:	89A6351C-82BB-411D-BF2A-4BBA96235BD3.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	381.4 KB
ID:	309554  

Name:	2053C08A-27F5-4C3E-BA97-1673215EA838.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	309555   Click image for larger version

Name:	F223D22E-42DD-4E89-93DE-379261807096.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	309556  

PbFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 12:42 AM   #445

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by garry1p View Post
For me shock and awe was setting just off the side at the end of the active runway in a crash truck when 10 or 12 of the fully loaded alert B52's would be scrambling. During taking off (I think it was 10 second intervals) they would be airborne almost directly overhead number 2 would be rolling before number 1 was airborne. By the time the 4th one was airborne you could no longer see down the runway due to exhaust smoke. B 52's don't take off like any other aircraft when they start out the outriggers at the end of the wings are on the ground the wings actually bend up with speed and the aircraft just lifts off the ground and never noses up just gains altitude while the aircraft is in horizontal flight. Really a sight to behold.

As an air traffic controller "born and raised" at a SAC base (Castle AFB, CA) I can certainly vouch for the awesomeness of a mass launch of Buffs from the vantage point of the control tower. Your estimate of the takeoff interval timing is pretty close. There was typically three B-52s on the runway at any given time during the launch: The first one about 3/4 of the way down the runway and about to rotate, the second one about 1/3 down the runway and building speed, and the third one just starting takeoff roll, then the next one taxies onto the runways while starting his 10 second timer.

After the initial takeoff clearance is given to the lead aircraft, the tower controller's job was to listen intently to the tower and departure control frequencies in case one has a problem and calls an abort. Then the controller who already has those transmitters keyed up, including guard, quickly transmits "abort, abort, abort" so all succeeding aircraft stop their takeoff rolls.

In two years at that base I only saw that happen once.

After the first couple aircraft were airborne, it was obvious all the following aircraft were fighting significant wake turbulence.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:08 AM   #446

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
Adios my a$$! Quit talking like that sailor.
It was guys like you who did your jobs and did them well for little money and little thanks who made it possible for me to have some interesting stories to tell. Some of my best memories of my time in the Navy were in the squadron Maintenance Department as an Av/Weps Division Officer, Quality Assurance Officer and Safety Officer hanging out with you guys and learning everything I could from you.
I feel lucky to be able to hear your stories on this thread. I'm still learning from you guys and enjoying it immensely. Please keep them coming.
In case you haven't heard it before, Bravo Zulu for all you guys did to keep those of us who depended on you to keep us flying and keeping us safe.

Absolutely 100% agree with this. Some of my fondest non-flying memories are from my tour as an ensign in my first fleet A-7 squadron as a line division officer. I learned so much from those young guys and had so much fun hanging out in the line shack, listening to their oft-times hilarious stories and tales about some of the ridiculous things we pilots did. Later, as the maintenance officer in a reserve A-4 squadron, I had the chance to interact with all of the various branches and divisions. The pilots got the credit, but the enlisted were the reason everything happened as efficiently and effectively as it did. As FL420 said, BRAVO ZULU!!!! And please, keep those stories coming!
zipmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:52 AM   #447

Aviation memories

This is a historical picture for me. The USS Boxer (LPH-4) was the first aircraft carrier I served in and the only one as part of Ships Company. I went aboard in 1963 and was assigned to the V6 division tool room in the hangar bay.

The USS America (CV-66) was the last carrier I served in. I was there with VA-46 serving as their maintenance chief from 1983 to 1985.

Name:	800px-USS_Boxer_(LPH-4)_USS_America_(CVA-66)_Norfolk_1969[1].jpg
Views:	64
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	309648
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:30 AM   #448

Use Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
This is a historical picture for me. The USS Boxer (LPH-4) was the first aircraft carrier I served in and the only one as part of Ships Company. I went aboard in 1963 and was assigned to the V6 division tool room in the hangar bay.

The USS America (CV-66) was the last carrier I served in. I was there with VA-46 serving as their maintenance chief from 1983 to 1985.

Attachment 309648
My uncle Captain Ike Dew was one of the skippers of the Boxer and the first Captain after it transitioned to a Marine Helicopter assault carrier. He graduated from the Naval Academy and got his wings in 1936. Everyone who has ever served aboard a ship knows that the Captain is the absolute authority about everything. After the Marines came aboard Ike told me about a "discussion" he had with the Marine Colonel in charge something like "this ship will go where I want and when I want". end of discussion. I have lots of official Navy photos from the Boxer that I hope to donate to the museum in Pensacola and also a beautiful plaque from the Boxer.
RogueRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, military