Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-21-2006, 12:57 PM   #1

This doesn't have anything to do with camping per se, but I just had an excellent experience.

My brother died last Saturday from a form of Leukemia. I discovered the day after he went into the hospital that he had handled nuclear weapons back in the late '60s. Radiation is a direct link to leukemia.

Being a life member of Disabled American Veterans, I called the NH office of DAV in Manchester and told the Veteran Services Officer about it. At the funeral on Thursday, my brother received a beautiful full military honors. Our mother said it was very lovely and it brought tears to her eyes. The whole family was touched by the event.

I put this here because it is military-oriented. If you're disabled, become a life member of DAV. It's a great outfit and it does great things for you. It can also be helpful when you need help while traveling.
<font color="#0000ff">George Eldridge

Cynthia Totten</font>
Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2006, 12:57 PM   #2

This doesn't have anything to do with camping per se, but I just had an excellent experience.

My brother died last Saturday from a form of Leukemia. I discovered the day after he went into the hospital that he had handled nuclear weapons back in the late '60s. Radiation is a direct link to leukemia.

Being a life member of Disabled American Veterans, I called the NH office of DAV in Manchester and told the Veteran Services Officer about it. At the funeral on Thursday, my brother received a beautiful full military honors. Our mother said it was very lovely and it brought tears to her eyes. The whole family was touched by the event.

I put this here because it is military-oriented. If you're disabled, become a life member of DAV. It's a great outfit and it does great things for you. It can also be helpful when you need help while traveling.

Cynthia Totten</font>
Old 04-21-2006, 01:18 PM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
George, So sorry for your loss. I have a brother-in-law who is/was career Navy. In the 50's when he was still young, he was part of a training exercise where they exploded a nuclear bomb over a mothballed fleet of old ships some where on or around an atoll in the Pacific. After the explosion they steamed into the area to survey the damage and sink the hulks that had overturned. He and a few others were assigned to actually assigned to motor out to the hulks for some reason.
After his 20 and out he came down with tumors on the brain stem and spinal cord. Turns out there were 2 or 3 others on the ship that had the same problems.
He has lost his hearing, a good deal of his sight and most of his mobility. The VA has never given him any problems with the disability and he is 100% service connected. Radiation is some nasty stuff and we didn't have a clue that many years ago.

He loves to RV and will be joining in the festivities in Pigeon Forge in July.
Any of you guys that happen by, please say hello to him. He is Steve of "Steve and Dee" and we love hime dearly.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:35 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Webster:
...If you're disabled, become a life member of DAV. It's a great outfit and it does great things for you. It can also be helpful when you need help while traveling. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're not disabled then the American Legion might be for you. If any part of your service includes a wartime period then you're eligible for membership.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:25 AM   #5

You're right Alan. I'm a member of the American Legion as well as DAV...also VFW and VVA. In fact, I do the web site for the local VVA chapter: www.VietnamVeterans391.org

They are all great outfits!

Cynthia Totten</font>
Old 04-22-2006, 03:01 PM   #6

Saddened to hear of your loss. I will become a Life Member DAV as soon as possible. I'm VFW Life and 100% disabled 'Nam Vet('70). Been putting it off but will go to there website & sign up.

2005 Itasca Sunova 30B/Workhorse
Robert & Kiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 07:44 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Our condolences on the loss of your brother Webster. It's good to hear he had military honors. I too am a member of DAV,VFW & the Legion. I encourage all military, active & retired to consider membership. These are the folks that look after our interests in Washington.
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:50 AM   #8

George,
Sorry for your loss and please pass on our condolences to your mother and family.

Also a VFW lifer
Old 04-25-2006, 11:27 AM   #9

I want to thank all of you for your best wishes.

iRV2.com is the greatest. I didn't expect any replies to this post. I just thought that some might be interested in knowing that our fellow brothers in these organizations do things to support us.

And, Robert, congratulations on becoming a DAV Life Member. I know you won't regret it. I hope your 100% isn't because of Agent Orange. So many 'Nam vets have suffered because of this.

To all...fair winds and following seas!

Cynthia Totten</font>
Old 04-25-2006, 11:41 AM   #10

Webster, I do have an additional 20% for Agent Orange (diabetes) bringing me to 120%. Most of my squad has suffered from tumors and other problems related to AO, I am a lucky one so far. I joined immediatly (online) my local Chapter in Glendale, AZ, Chapter 20.
1/27 Inf, 25th Inf Div (online 13 months mostly with m-60).

God Bless All who serve our Country

Old 04-26-2006, 08:42 AM   #11

Sorry to hear of your loss. I'm happy they were willing to provide full military honors.

I've been a life member of DAV for about four years now. The DAV has helped me with my claims with the VA. I can't say enough good things about the DAV as they have been very helpful. I too have exposure to Agent Orange and presently 50% disabled. I'm still working through the DAV to get the VA to admit I have a bad back as a result of a helicopter crash in Vietnam and a loss of hearing from flying on the helicopters.

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 09:54 AM   #12

Robert: Glad you joined. Yes, I have nearly 200% disability which translates to 100% VA-disabled. Keep that diabetes under control so that you don't have more diabetes-related problems. Losing weight does help, but it's difficult if you're taking beta-blockers. Talk to a VA nutritionist and follow what they say. Very Important!

JD: Yes, the DAV does help out immensely. Our chapter here in Sonora is beginning to get more involved with helping veterans. The VVA chapter's secretary is also on the state board and he has been getting more and more people trained in veterans services.

It's amazing how many American veterans don't know that some of the ills can be directly related to their military service. I'm working on a couple of tri-folds which mainly talk about diabetes and prostrate cancer. I'll be sure to post where they can be printed as soon as I get them up.

Fair winds and following seas....

Cynthia Totten</font>
Old 04-29-2006, 01:58 PM   #13

Webster,
As soon as I found out I had diabetes(1 1/2 yrs ago)I went total strict diet and have kept off almost 70 pounds! Went from 249 down to 181 lbs today. Took me about a year. I hadn't weighed less than 200 since 1979.
I have other friends who are in denial or something as they don't take medicine properly or have any type of diet plan. I've talked till I'm blue in the face trying to tell them where they are headed...

Old 05-06-2006, 09:12 AM   #14

Robert: That's fantastic!!!

Today, people with diabetes are getting much more information than they did back in '85. I wish the doctors had emphasized it more and told me of the consequences of prolonged diabetes. It's possible to push diabetes into remission by losing weight, so keep it up.

I have several veteran allies who don't look beyond the present. I, too, have tried to tell them, but I see them eating all the wrong things and wondering why they can't control the numbers.

As a result of my advanced stage, my RVing will be quite curtailed in the near future.

Cynthia Totten</font>