RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:07 PM   #1

Military ID - Campgrounds

I have been out of the Navy since 2000. I was an Aviation Electronics Technician for 4 years. I have my DD214, but not much else to show I was in the military (USAA and Navy Federal Credit Union member, but that won't count for ID). I have seen a few military campgrounds in California that I would like to visit with my wife and kids. What kind of ID would I need to visit the military campgrounds and can someone show me a link on where to get it? I have done some simple google web searches in the past, but have not really seen anything I think would work. I did not retire from the military, but was honorably discharged. Thanks for any help.
Nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2014, 04:14 PM   #2

Not really sure but I believe you need to be active duty or a military retiree. Just having been active duty in the past doesn't work. Any one else got some better info on this?
tunafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:15 PM   #3

Thanks for your service. As for use of FAMCAMPS, you must have an ID card, active, retired, or 100% service connected disabily. The only other option is be sponsored by an authorized user on a space avability basis. There is a web site www.militarycampgounds.us that has the requirements posted. Again thanks for your service.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by no3putt View Post
Thanks for your service. As for use of FAMCAMPS, you must have an ID card, active, retired, or 100% service connected disabily. The only other option is be sponsored by an authorized user on a space avability basis. There is a web site www.militarycampgounds.us that has the requirements posted. Again thanks for your service.

Not all bases have a sponsorship allowance.......Jacksonville naval base comes to mind, that allows sponsorship. It also sometimes depends on the time of year, if they have a lot of space, I have been able to sponsor my friend when we visit key west in the summer, but from October thru April, the place is overflowing, I am not sure if they continue with sponsorship at that time.
In Great Falls Malmstrom AFB, the famcamp is off base, they have a drop box payment system.......you drive to a site, put your money in an envelope, and that's it.....but you need I D to get onto the base.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:41 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Each installation sets its own policy. The best thing to do is call the base and ask if they will accommodate you.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:47 PM   #6

Most farm camps will also allow DOD civilians and even worse....contractors. While it may keep the coffers full it sucks for the folks the fam camps were originally designed to support. I know of some fam camps that are impossible to get into due to contractors "homesteading" for years (yes, YEARS) paying very little while drawing full per diem (pocketing the difference of course). And where does that per diem come from? Why you of course.....your tax dollars.
Old Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:54 PM   #7

Sorry, but AD, Retired, or in a few cases DoD civilian. The famcamps very from base to base. The same generally holds true for RV storage.
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Each installation sets its own policy. The best thing to do is call the base and ask if they will accommodate you.
I think you have the correct response. I'm a vet but not retired military (but am a retired federal employee). While traveling I've called a few FamCamps and some do have space and some do not. It's great if they do have the space but OK if not. I firmly believe the spaces should be given to the active duty, family, and retired and I'm not the least bit upset when they don't have space for me. If they do it's a great perk, if not that's OK. I've been accepted at Fort Bliss and Fort Hood but also have been declined at the same bases because of reactivation or call back of troops, a few years ago. I think they need to get all the income they can to support the camp so some do what they can to fill the spaces to keep income above expenses. Empty space is zero income. Doesn't hurt to ask. Just my thought. Semper Fi
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by no3putt View Post

N00b here, making my first post on the forum. Glad to meet you, folks.

no3putt's answer above is correct, except that I'd add Guard and Reserve members to the list. The U.S. Military Campgrounds site is a great resource. The best place to go on that site is at this link. It tells you pretty much everything you'll need to know about eligibility requirements.

Tags
campground