Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-24-2021, 01:49 AM   #15

NAF El Centro, CA

Palm Oasis RV Park & Resort. That’s its name and it’s out in the desert, away from just about everything. It has a community atmosphere because in the winter months before the Blues arrival the RV residents outnumber the base residents.

It’s not a place we ever planned to visiting. I had been there a couple of times when on active duty. Back then it was known as the National Parachute Test Range (NPTR) and mostly Navy attack squadrons from other bases around the country came there to practice bombing in the nearby bomb ranges. Later it became a NAF when the Blue Angle flight demonstration squadron made it their winter home.

We stayed there for a couple of months because of the excessive rain fall and mud sliding in areas in southern CA where we had planned on spending our winter months. It was also raining in the deserts near El Centro and a lot of people were leaving because the dune buggy riders had no place to ride and went elsewhere. We were very surprised when we called from San Diego and were told there were a couple of sites available for us in the overflow area. That particular area had full hook-up service with 30 AMPs and another 15 AMP plug-in for extension cords. We had dish TV and finding a nice clear signal was no problem at all.

Our site was located in an old paved parking lot and backed-up to a ball field. Across the street was the bowling alley, chow hall and a golf driving range. We could eat in the chow hall without reservations except on weekends and holidays. We got our mail from a general delivery box at a US post office about three miles outside the main gate.

It you can't find something to do on base there isn’t much else close by. We did find a nice 9 hole golf course about 10 miles away.

After we had been there for about a week the Blue Angles showed-up and there were no more quiet days except on Sundays.

The rain caught up with us and it rained so long and hard they had to rent huge trucks with vacuum hoses to get the water out of the parking lots around base. We drove over to Yuma and found people were also leaving there for other areas. We found a couple of side-by-side sites to spend another couple of months. It was a 55+ senior's park.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4 NAF El Centro8.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	349719 Click image for larger version

Name:	4a NAF El Centro16.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	349720

Name:	4b NAF El Centro2.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	344.4 KB
ID:	349721 Click image for larger version

Name:	4c NAF El Centro3.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	349722

Name:	4d NAF El Centro4.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	349723 Click image for larger version

Name:	4e NAF El Centro7.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	307.5 KB
ID:	349724
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2021, 05:39 AM   #16

Spartan Chassis
NAS Key West

It was beautiful, we went there back in September about 1st - 12th. There is plenty of room for our 40 foot but they are somewhat tight. After our awning was out there was only 5-6 feet to the next one. We loved it though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A3F83C88-9C8E-4171-A4C3-1D049AC048C0.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	349730   Click image for larger version

Name:	73F4E540-8CC4-4BDF-862C-71CF9EB52084.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	349731  

Name:	0B85127A-A108-4471-817E-E2BC698CE88E.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	547.2 KB
ID:	349732  
atkinswr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:59 AM   #17

Spartan Chassis
Follow up NAS Key West

In the picture of the chair there is a flag behind it in the water (diver down) they picked up 3 lobsters that day. So with the right equipment and license it can be even nicer. They were out there every day so they put some in the freezer as well as fresh boiled. We were there right after the Labor Day weekend and it wasn’t busy at all plenty of open spaces. They told us it starts to fill up about the end of October with people coming down for the winter. Sigsbee I believe and it is close to the MER office where you check in.
atkinswr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 08:23 AM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
RE NAS Corpus Christi

We have been here for two weeks now (11/24/21), looks like the info posted above needs to be updated. Hurricane Harvey hit the area Aug 2017, all the shelters mentioned are gone except one, fishing pier has been condemned, there appears to have been widespread damage that has not been repaired. Still a great place to visit, would like to hear from someone that stayed here before and after to get their insight on what changed from the hurricane.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20211124_151659875_iOS.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	643.8 KB
ID:	349751   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211124_151712520_iOS.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	448.9 KB
ID:	349752  

KirkAlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 11:33 AM   #19

Civilians

Love veterans. Appreciate your service. At the expense of hopefully not offending anyone---do any of the listed Military Family Camps ever allow access to civilians. I am 75 years old and was in medical school and residency during the vietnam war and therefore didnt serve. I have significant guilt feelings about not being a vet to this day......bob
Old 04-07-2022, 11:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW22r View Post
Love veterans. Appreciate your service. At the expense of hopefully not offending anyone---do any of the listed Military Family Camps ever allow access to civilians. I am 75 years old and was in medical school and residency during the vietnam war and therefore didnt serve. I have significant guilt feelings about not being a vet to this day......bob
All the information you require is in the following ref..

https://www.militarycampgrounds.us/milcamps
Old 04-07-2022, 02:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW22r View Post
Yes there are several open to the public.
Please don't feel guilty about studying to save lives, I appreciate your dedication to your profession.
It was medical technology and dedicated medical professionals who prevented the KIA numbers during the Mideast conflict from being as high as the 58,479 KIA in Vietnam.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 04:06 PM   #22

As one of the newest eligible, I was ecstatic when they opened MWR facilities a couple years ago to the expanded 0-99% DAV (100% were always), Purple Heart, caregivers and other groups. When active duty, I was on the BOD of a MWR facility (Aeroclub) and very aware of the budgeting process, and Congress requires no DOD funds used and must be self supporting, with the profit center (Exchange/Commissary) profits redirected to support other MWR programs (library, gym, subsidused daycare, etc) that could not support 100% budget requirements like the Aeroclub could (thankfully). My initial goal was to retire, but a service connected disability cut that short at the 9 year point. It was about time we were included, and arguably more groups should be, as it actively supports the quality of life for our current active duty brothers and their families.

While I have used Exchange and Commissary, have yet to attempt to use other benefits such as campgrounds. While active duty have advanced reservation, and rightfully so, The big question I have is if there is a pecking order? If you successfully obtain a reservation during the narrow window after active duty, or even same day call ahead, only to arrive and find that you have been bumped? That unexpected "SURPRISE" is my biggest fear.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 11:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizeye View Post
As one of the newest eligible, I was ecstatic when they opened MWR facilities a couple years ago to the expanded 0-99% DAV (100% were always), Purple Heart, caregivers and other groups. When active duty, I was on the BOD of a MWR facility (Aeroclub) and very aware of the budgeting process, and Congress requires no DOD funds used and must be self supporting, with the profit center (Exchange/Commissary) profits redirected to support other MWR programs (library, gym, subsidused daycare, etc) that could not support 100% budget requirements like the Aeroclub could (thankfully). My initial goal was to retire, but a service connected disability cut that short at the 9 year point. It was about time we were included, and arguably more groups should be, as it actively supports the quality of life for our current active duty brothers and their families.

While I have used Exchange and Commissary, have yet to attempt to use other benefits such as campgrounds. While active duty have advanced reservation, and rightfully so, The big question I have is if there is a pecking order? If you successfully obtain a reservation during the narrow window after active duty, or even same day call ahead, only to arrive and find that you have been bumped? That unexpected "SURPRISE" is my biggest fear.
Research is the best method to use when contemplating using military CGs/RV Parks/FAMCAMPS. Post #20 has a link to most questions/answers.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:33 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
Research is the best method to use when contemplating using military CGs/RV Parks/FAMCAMPS. Post #20 has a link to most questions/answers.
Interesting that list is by camp name even when physically located within the boundary of an active military base. While indicates eligibility, next time I am on MacDill or Patrick will swing by "Raccoon Creek" or "Manatee Cove" campgrounds the ask in the office clarification of finer operational details concerning bumping reservations if a higher qualification level has a last minute request while you are enroute anticipating a reserved site only to find no vacancies.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 09:17 AM   #25

My understanding is it is Space A with no reservations at all. You roll the dice whether they can accomodate you when you show up. I have been there many times and each time the same.

This is from their website as far as bumping you out once there....

"Please call or email ahead during the months of September to March to check on site availability. A ‘Space A’ policy goes into effect when occupancy reaches 80%. When this occurs, guests not in the status of active duty, retired, 100% DAV or VHIC will receive a predetermined number of nights in the campground based on the percent of occupancy, provided a site is available. Guests in the aforementioned status will not be bumped for any other status unless ordered by the installation commander."
Psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 04:22 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizeye View Post
Interesting that list is by camp name even when physically located within the boundary of an active military base. While indicates eligibility, next time I am on MacDill or Patrick will swing by "Raccoon Creek" or "Manatee Cove" campgrounds the ask in the office clarification of finer operational details concerning bumping reservations if a higher qualification level has a last minute request while you are enroute anticipating a reserved site only to find no vacancies.

The quickest and easiest way to find that information is to join the website and ask Larry( website owner) through their discussion forums.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:35 PM   #27

Weird how Sigsbee is already full through Feb. 7th. Being that today is June 30th. Guess all the active duty personnel have taken over the park..... or did I miss something!
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 04:45 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmandoug1 View Post
Weird how Sigsbee is already full through Feb. 7th. Being that today is June 30th. Guess all the active duty personnel have taken over the park..... or did I miss something!
Not positive, but I thought I read something about work going on in an enlisted barracks and there was a problem with finding relocation spots for the personnel.

Maybe that added to the occupancy.
Psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, military, rv park