Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-21-2022, 05:52 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
I hit some golf balls off our helo deck once. Every one of them landed in the Persian Gulf water hazard!

I have mixed feelings about long/term seasonal folks. On the one hand I think it is great when a member is transferring, sells their house and still has an inexpensive place to stay until they actually leave. On the other hand, long term "squatters" that abuse the system irritate me. The good news for me is that it's not critical where I go, as long as I go.
We stayed at Arnold Air Force Base a couple three weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Electric and water with dump station on the banks of a huge lake. Very bucolic. While on Air Farce property, it wasn't inside the gate. The commissary and exchange are quite small but sufficient and the town is only seven to ten miles away. The golf course has an interesting history having been built (at least partially) by German POWs according to the course director.
I wouldn't mind going back there for an extended stay. We were there only a week this time.
I agree...except that occasionally going to places that are in high demand it would be nice if wit&in one year you could get a spot for a reasonable amount of time. I am not greedy, but it's a benefit that we earned and with the erosion of many benefits...this is one I would hate to see get worse than better.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2022, 05:25 PM   #30

Someone mentioned active duty staying long-term; to the best of my knowledge active duty on TAD or PCS has top priority at all military RV parks -as it should be IMO.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:42 AM   #31

Agree that active duty and TAD should always have priority. But it seems installations are all over the map with reservation and length of stay policy. At Patrick SFB in Melbourne, FL, retired and DoD card holders must call on day of planned arrival to see if there are any sites open, then rush there to secure a space. It’s very difficult when you’re coming from a long distance. While at the other extreme, at Pensacola NAS,, spoke to a retired site neighbor who had was coming to the end of their 3 month (max) stay. Doesn’t seem fair to active duty.
Old Yesterday, 05:12 AM   #32

My point about active duty/TAD might have been unclear.

Currently I agree they should have priority, but my belief is that they should be accommodated in facilities provided for by normal channels of funding rather than compete with MWR facilities. Maybe expand current facilities or provide more/better "overflow spots.

I realize this may not be possible in all locations, but with so many benefits slowly eroding for retirees, inability to secure a camping spot at great destinations , even if only for a few days would go a long way in my book to "keeping the faith" to me.
Old Yesterday, 06:14 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psneeld View Post
My point about active duty/TAD might have been unclear.

Currently I agree they should have priority, but my belief is that they should be accommodated in facilities provided for by normal channels of funding rather than compete with MWR facilities. Maybe expand current facilities or provide more/better "overflow spots.

I realize this may not be possible in all locations, but with so many benefits slowly eroding for retirees, inability to secure a camping spot at great destinations , even if only for a few days would go a long way in my book to "keeping the faith" to me.
Once you temper an explanation with "but", it reveals that you're just saying what you think someone wants to hear/read, not what you feel.
No one needs to "keep the faith" with you...
MWR facilities are designed, built, and maintained for Active Duty personnel, not Veterans in the VA system and/or retirees. The Armed Forces graciously allow Veterans to access MWR facilities for a number of reasons;
1) As an eligible Veteran, you are accorded some respect, some access to DoD facilities to both make your life a little easier and to help defray the costs to Active Duty Personnel.
2) Never forget that your prior service does not grant you any special privileges as a right, they are priviliges and can be rescinded at any time.
3) Morale, Welfare, and Recreation. Why does the DoD need to provide you with an outlet to try and make you happy? You are not stationed far away from home and all the other points that I could make about Active Duty. You can and do go wherever you want, whenever you want to.

I think that you really should remember that you are no longer a Coast Guard Officer, deserving of something that others are not.

Dan Frisbie
US Navy CPO (ret)
Dan_Frisbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:36 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Frisbie View Post
Once you temper an explanation with "but", it reveals that you're just saying what you think someone wants to hear/read, not what you feel.
No one needs to "keep the faith" with you...
MWR facilities are designed, built, and maintained for Active Duty personnel, not Veterans in the VA system and/or retirees. The Armed Forces graciously allow Veterans to access MWR facilities for a number of reasons;
1) As an eligible Veteran, you are accorded some respect, some access to DoD facilities to both make your life a little easier and to help defray the costs to Active Duty Personnel.
2) Never forget that your prior service does not grant you any special privileges as a right, they are priviliges and can be rescinded at any time.
3) Morale, Welfare, and Recreation. Why does the DoD need to provide you with an outlet to try and make you happy? You are not stationed far away from home and all the other points that I could make about Active Duty. You can and do go wherever you want, whenever you want to.

I think that you really should remember that you are no longer a Coast Guard Officer, deserving of something that others are not.

Dan Frisbie
US Navy CPO (ret)
I don't feel like they guaranteed me anything....heck they have already stripped away or whittled down a lot of things from years ago that WERE promised by recruiters.
I don't think I am a USCG officer anymore, but they do allow (ret) after names and the check they send me does have strings attached last I was told/have read.

As far as keep the faith...that's a bit complicated. Maybe I come from a much smaller service and just have a different point of view. My son got out of the Navy after 6 years a few years back, I couldn't believe the stories he told me of the differences.

For me it stems from the fact that I joined when people looked as much at the "benefits" benefits as the pay.

To me, the secret to recruitment and retainment is not only pay as the military can never compete with business...it has a lot to do with other things the military offers.

And.....please don't try to explain what I think or don't think, even iy you were just making a generalization. That is a big assumption in an internet thread.

Tags
military