Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-27-2021, 05:59 PM   #1

Military RV sites - Love 'em or ?

As I am now officially old and have proof (a Class A Diesel pusher in the driveway) I am looking at the various military RV offerings and in short wondering if they are worth it ? I am a boondocker by DNA, but also want to keep my wife happy, so that means hookups on a regular basis. Often the prices seems attractive on base, but is the potential hassle/rules worth the price of admission ? Just looking for your experience and advice before dipping the toe. As a man of fine vintage, I do not like being told what to do.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2021, 06:26 PM   #2

I carry items inside my RV that I can’t take on base.

Great to see another ice climber. I’ve climbed Rainier many times.
Old 12-27-2021, 07:46 PM   #3

I am interested in this. I am tempted to use famcamps, but also concerned about obscure (sometimes inane) regs and rules.
stallsmi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 08:46 PM   #4

My experience has been good at every military CG we've been to. The only frustration is that there are no 'standard' policies for reservations, length of stay, etc that apply to more than one facility. It's completely up to each installation commander as far as I know. Some take no reservations, some up to 6 months in advance, some limit stays to 14 days, some sell seasonal site contracts.

Great value and access to some very nice areas. Takes a lot of advance calling & investigation.

Some of my favorites:
- USAF Academy Colorado Springs
- Blue Angel rec area NAS Pensacola
- MacDill AFB Tampa FL
- USCG Station Marathon FL (will rent you a boat while there too)
- Army base (forgot the name) Savannah GA
- Patric AFB (now SFB) Cape Canaveral FL
- Luke AFB famcamp Flagstaff AZ (not located on the base)
markpj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 08:11 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceclimber View Post
As I am now officially old and have proof (a Class A Diesel pusher in the driveway) I am looking at the various military RV offerings and in short wondering if they are worth it ? I am a boondocker by DNA, but also want to keep my wife happy, so that means hookups on a regular basis. Often the prices seems attractive on base, but is the potential hassle/rules worth the price of admission ? Just looking for your experience and advice before dipping the toe. As a man of fine vintage, I do not like being told what to do.
We have stayed at several military campgrounds and have not had any problems. If I could change anything on using the campgrounds would be able to make reservations on all military campgrounds. I go to this site to see if reservations are needed U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks - Home
Old 12-28-2021, 08:26 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
More than anything, I look for location, location, location. FamCamps are alot cheaper and seem safer than anything downtown. I just retired from Hill AFB and lived in their FamCamp after the home sold and the retirement was making it's way thru the wickets. I paid $750/month for full hookups, 50A electricity included. Just across the street off base I paid $795/month for full hookups, but electric was metered and ran about $200/month during the summer. Off base had more room, but felt less secure. On base was less room, but felt more secure.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 10:34 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A quick question regarding FamCamps: I am eligible as a service-connected disabled vet - does that make my wife eligible as well when we are traveling?
Old 12-28-2021, 10:40 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
A quick question regarding FamCamps: I am eligible as a service-connected disabled vet - does that make my wife eligible as well when we are traveling?
Does your wife have base access? Obviously, she can come on base with you, she just needs a state issued photo id at the gate. She cannot drive on base alone without a pass, and without you, she will likely not get a pass.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 11:06 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
I have been staying on base many years. Never had an issue with what I carry, and never even been asked about such things. Use the site mentioned in post #5. Each base regs are there.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 01:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post

Yah I am the same service connected. If I want to take the Admiral on base here in town they require stopping for a pass every time. So, I don't take her for a casual visit. The answer above is helpful for what I can expect at the Fam camps.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 05:54 PM   #11

FamCamps are ALWAYS our first choice. Much cheaper and much more secure. Been doing it past 10 years without a single problem.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 05:55 PM   #12

I have stayed at several. Never had an issue. Enjoyed each stay. Even when they played Reveille over loudspeakers early in the AM at Maxwell AFB famcamp in Montgomery Al. Still not sure why, the famcamp is long way from the base facilities and separated by the runways.

Good Luck, your results may vary.
myfirstford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 05:51 AM   #13

Thanks

Thanks for the link, very helpful. Happy travels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caninecop View Post
We have stayed at several military campgrounds and have not had any problems. If I could change anything on using the campgrounds would be able to make reservations on all military campgrounds. I go to this site to see if reservations are needed U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks - Home
Old 12-29-2021, 07:12 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have stayed at Fam Camp‘s all over the USA. From the north east south east to the Southwest to the Northwest, then to Alaska several times. We have never had a problem with any thing we have in the coach and we are ice climbers as well.

Tags
military