Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-28-2022, 03:35 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Today's active duty military receives BAQ and COMRATS to live on the economy. On base quarters are also available not to mention the military lodges that are actually hotels.
Family Camps are for recreation purposes. I don't believe anybody should have priority over anybody else as far as reservations are concerned. And I certainly don't believe stays should exceed 90 days.
I spent a quarter century in the Navy, most of that at sea and some of it in combat. No, I don't believe anybody is better than me or should be more entitled.
Most FamCamp administrators employ a tiered system for reservations - active duty get a six month window, retired get a three month window, DoD get a one month window - or something similar. That's the way they choose to do it and I deal with it. If there're no slots available to me when I check then no skin of my nose, I'll go another time or another place.
Tell me your system and I'll work with it. The people that abuse that system are the ones that irk me.
Psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2022, 04:46 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Frisbie View Post
[Moderator Edit]
[Moderator Edit]

This is from Oak Grove Park, NAS Pensacola.... while Active duty can reserve 6 months ahead of retirees, it doesn't mean much of a priority once at the 6 month mark. Which is OK with me as no stay past 30 days which seems to include active or TAD unless approved past 30 day increments. The point was is no homesteading for years and years which did/do happen in some places. The policies seem to confirm active duty first for MWR purposes, but not PCS or TAD homesteading.

"LENGTH OF STAY (RV Parks ONLY)
Reservations may be booked for up to 30 days or in periods of 30 days; not to
exceed a total of 180 consecutive days.
Any reservation that may exceed 180 consecutive days must be approved by
management."

"LODGING PATRON ELIGIBILITY
All reservations are made on a first come, first serve basis without regard to rate or rank.
Reservations may be made up to 1 year in advance for Active Duty Members and 6 months
in advance for Retirees and DoD civilians. The sites reserve the right to cancel any reservation that
does not meet Navy Getaways stay policy"

This may also apply....

https://www.pcsgrades.com/cms/blog/a...itary-housing/

Most military bases have RV campgrounds, offered through the outdoor recreation services or MWR. These are often more affordable than off-base campgrounds but may come with additional restrictions. Some allow full-time living, but others don’t, often limiting the time of your stay to three months. After that, you must relocate–either to a different campground on base, or to one off base.

Once you move out, you can get back on a waitlist to return and reset the time again.
Old 06-28-2022, 05:46 PM   #45

Just an observation and NOT a complaint. In reading the extensive list of authorized users (ref. Psneeld comments) I got the impression that as an ordinary, healthy, honorably discharged veteran, I am not eligible to park at Ft.Bliss even for a night. Did I miss something? Just curious.
Old 06-28-2022, 05:59 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggwn View Post
Just an observation and NOT a complaint. In reading the extensive list of authorized users (ref. Psneeld comments) I got the impression that as an ordinary, healthy, honorably discharged veteran, I am not eligible to park at Ft.Bliss even for a night. Did I miss something? Just curious.
I did not read it all that carefully, but a good veteran friend of mine with no disability rating at all, I believe I told that he is still not eligible...but I would google it or someone else may clarify.

Bottom line is some facilities are tight and some are loose.... so if you have a specific place in mind, I think other have already posted and I am now...call and ask specifically to your eligibility...you never know which facility might allow you.

The alternative would be see if you qualify for ANY disability rating. My son who now is a doctor laughs that his 6 years in the Navy helos got him like 40% disabled and he can't believe that me with 23 years in and 20 years and 3X as many hours as him and I haven't even gone to the VA to see what benefits I can get. Oh well, just my style but it may be worth a try for you.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:00 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggwn View Post
You didn’t say whether you are retired, or are in an otherwise eligible category, such as 100% service related disabled, or DoD card holder. Generally speaking, if you are eligible to make purchases at the commissary or PX, you are also eligible to use military campgrounds. If you don’t have a DoD card, which indicates your status, you can get one for you and your spouse at many reserve and national guard installations. Just produce necessary documentation. Veterans who served honorably and left the military before qualifying for an included status, are not eligible to use military campgrounds.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:18 PM   #48

Relatively new regulations....

January 2020 Update: The below regulations are slightly out of date and don't inlcude the new eligibility. The Purple Heart and Disabled Veterans Equal Access Act of 2018 became law in August 2018 and took effect on January 1st, 2020. This bill will now allow the following veterans use of commissary and exchange stores, and MWR facilities (includes campgrounds):

Veterans Awarded the Purple Heart
Veterans Who Are Medal of Honor Recipients (already authorized)
Veterans Who Are Former Prisoners of War
Veterans With Service-Connected Disabilities
Caregivers of Veterans
For more details on this new eligibility, please look at these articles:

http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/ne...mwr-facilities
http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/ne...-many-veterans
http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/fi...ess-fact-sheet
http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/ne...nge-mwr-access

from

https://www.militarycampgrounds.us/n...authorized-use
Old 06-28-2022, 07:17 PM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
"The people that abuse that system are the ones that irk me."

People can only do what the regs allow them to do.
If management doesn't enforce the rules whos......fault is that
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 05:54 AM   #50

Greed seems to be OK in America these days.

Sure ....management sets the rules....

My point in the discussion is about the inability to get to RV to some destination spots due to being overwhelmed and rules that don't force reasonable turnover or expanded....

I would hope all involved, managers and users would see it and not be greedy. After all, wasn't it the military that started "I got your six"?
Old 06-29-2022, 09:37 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
You didn’t say whether you are retired, or are in an otherwise eligible category, such as 100% service related disabled, or DoD card holder. Generally speaking, if you are eligible to make purchases at the commissary or PX, you are also eligible to use military campgrounds. If you don’t have a DoD card, which indicates your status, you can get one for you and your spouse at many reserve and national guard installations. Just produce necessary documentation. Veterans who served honorably and left the military before qualifying for an included status, are not eligible to use military campgrounds.
Thanks, Marine359, I am aware of the "Bennies". I was an Army Brat and had those perks available to me. Dad was an LTC when he retired in 1963 (WWII Europe, where I was born, Occupied Japan where my sister was born, and Korea). He (and our family) served proudly; he is now deceased.

I'm just an ordinary Veteran who served his county when asked. I was drafted right after high school, served my two years 1967-68, and got out at 20 years old. I used GI bill to go to school and purchase my first house in 1979; both good things and much appreciated. Like I said, no complaints, just curious.
Old 07-21-2022, 01:38 PM   #52

I like the prices on base for campsites
Old 07-21-2022, 02:22 PM   #53

I'm an Air Force civilian now (DoD employee) after 10 years active duty. Famcamps are an inexpensive way to spend a night or 2 or even a month or 2. The 2 I've spent time in, Holloman AFB (southern NM) and Hill (northern UT) were $20/night. From October through April you can stay for up to 3 months and then renew if there are openings. The other 5 months you are limited to 2 weeks. As someone else said, policy is made by the base commander, so you need to check with the folks at ODR or MWR.

My FIL was also able to access these 2 bases' FamCamps with his VA card, though he has no military-related disability. He recently tried getting on Gowen Field (ANG) in Idaho, but they turned him away because he hadn't been active duty or ANG since the mid-1960's. You had to have been AD or Guard since 2011.
Old 10-05-2022, 01:49 PM   #54

Anyone down in Key West NAS? How is the park holding up?
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:27 AM   #55

Tiffin Owners Club
There is some current info on the FB site: Sigsbee Shufflers
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 03:51 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
There is some current info on the FB site: Sigsbee Shufflers
From what I just saw, the group is inactive, webpage only has a header and picture. Hasn't been updated since July 11, 2018.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
military