Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-27-2020, 11:02 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Won't get into which is cheaper...BX or Comm. But have found when they both carry the same item......the BX is less....
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2020, 06:59 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
That's backwards, the BX/PX is always more than the commissary.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:36 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
When you add in the comm surcharge most were the same price.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:05 PM   #18

It depends on what Commissary you go to. When I stay at Hanscom AFB in MA its cheaper then shopping off post. I live in Maine and the commissary prices are better then the local Shaws down the road from the house.
akfiredog377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:16 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do I need to do anything in advance of using a facility? We're hoping to be able to use a FamCamp this summer - do we just show up and show my VHIC card?
Old 03-06-2020, 01:10 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Fuel is more expensive on Hill AFB than outside. The base shopping is not what it used to be.......
My wife and I both retired from the Air Force in the early '90's so don't know if this is still true or not but years ago, on-base gas prices were based on an average of prices found on the local economy so you could often find less expensive gas off-base. Those calculations were only performed on a monthly basis so on-base and off-base fuel prices were sometimes dramatically different depending on fluctuating prices. I have absolutely no idea if this is still the case, however.

I can't say I know much about shopping on base anymore since we don't have easy access to a military facility since we retired and haven't shopped regularly on-base in over two decades although we order items online through the BX occasionally. My impression is that the BX/PX carries moderate to higher-end products and compares more favorably with department stores like Dillards, Belk, etc. In that context, it probably IS a little less expensive. Comparing BX/PX prices to Walmart or Target for most items, though, is kind of an apples to oranges comparison.

I'd be willing to bet that commissary prices are a much better deal for those beneficiaries living in high cost of living areas.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:39 PM   #21

If you are planning to stay at a Famcamp I suggest you get reservations. Some are really booked with the need to call six months out for reservations.

When you call for reservations they should be able to to tell you the steps necessary to access base.

Safe travels
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 02:17 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
It used to be that BX/PX and Commissary prices were almost always better than off base, but the advantages have blurred considerably in the past several years.

Without going into great detail, its best to shop around, both on and off base. At one time we shopped almost exclusively at Joint Base Elmendorf/Richardson at Anchorage, Alaska, but eventually discovered that quite often off base pricing on some things were consistently better.

Example: On base gas prices used to be set at 2 cents a gallon less than the average of off base prices, but we discovered that our local Costco consistently sells for at least a nickel less and sometimes even less than that.

Another one: Milk at the Commissary sells for well over $4.00 a gallon. The regular price at the Fred Myer stores off base is about $3.69. When I asked the Commissary manager about that, he apologized but said they were required by contract to buy milk from specific Lower-48 suppliers and have to pay the transportation costs to Alaska. Sounds logical, but most local grocery stores also get their milk from the Lower-48 too. Hmmm!

Just in the past few months we have noticed some pretty significant price hikes at both the BX/PX and Commissary. Since by law the government subsidizes both functions to a degree, it would be very easy to conclude that increases might have something to do with the recent diversions of military funds for other purposes.

Anyway, its no longer an assumption that better deals will available on base. Shopping around is the best advice.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:37 AM   #23

If you live in Washington state the commissary is better than civie stores when it comes to alcohol and the taxes they charge to civilians. Washington state can shove their 20% alcohol tax right up their
Spud_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:58 PM   #24

We have never been impressed with commisarries. The meat, fruit and vegetables always seem like what they sell at lower end supermarkets. The overall product selection never seems as good as commercial supermarkets. The baggers working for spare change and tips is kind of weird. I would rather have the baggers be part time staff and have their hours baked into the cost of shopping. We also came across some with "one way" directional traffic markings in the aisles which is obnoxious. We have used commissaries for convenience but prefer commercial grocery stores.
Scott 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:26 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 3 View Post
We have never been impressed with commisarries. The meat, fruit and vegetables always seem like what they sell at lower end supermarkets. The overall product selection never seems as good as commercial supermarkets. The baggers working for spare change and tips is kind of weird. I would rather have the baggers be part time staff and have their hours baked into the cost of shopping. We also came across some with "one way" directional traffic markings in the aisles which is obnoxious. We have used commissaries for convenience but prefer commercial grocery stores.
You need to check out the new commissaries that have been built as part of a mall, with the PX/BX also there, along with the normal things...snack bar, barber shop, watch repair, laundry, etc. Some even have a fast food shop and a Starbucks. The new commissaries are as nice as any big civilian grocery.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:53 PM   #26

In order to use any active duty base facilities you must be: 1:enrolled in VA Healthcare, 2: have a service connected disability, or 3: MoH awardee, or 4: former POW. If you are any of these it will show it on your VA Healthcare ID card, that is what they are to check for before you are let on Post.
Sam93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:50 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HR2004 View Post
Wife and I went to the Commissary for the second time today on our new privilege of a service connected disabled Vet.. It was pretty painless and it is a really nice place to shop.. We had to stop at the visitor sign in building just outside the gate, Davis Monthan AFB, and sign in the wife each time and they issued a day pass for her good for 24 hrs. In our first visit I got my permanent ID card. We are snowbirds in Tucson. We hope to use a couple of FAMCAMPS on the way home via South Carolina to Missouri.
I went to MCAS Yuma & Nurth Island San Diego and neither one issued a card. After you filled out the paperwork and we’re approved I was told that the VA card was all I needed.They said show the VA card and it will be scanned and that was it.
MikeCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:13 AM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Could be HR2004 is 100%. That would explain the permanent ID card.

His wife would be eligible for her own permanent military ID also, but only if he is 100%.

And yes, as always, if I'm wrong about any of this someone will please correct me... lol
woodbender is offline   Reply With Quote