Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-21-2020, 11:08 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To all who have nothing good to say about BX and Commissary, glad you are not using them--makes the lines that much shorter for those of us who do. I like that the profits go back into the installations for the benefit of the troops via MWR etc (and as retired I get to use those MWR facilities too). Gas has always been on par with local stations on a % so as not to unfairly compete with local--however with BX credit card you get 5 cents off on every gallon. The new authorizations for Vets was not because of loss revenue, it was because Sen McCain wanted it in the last Defense Bill he voted on (huge mistake in my opinion). Because of current base restriction of the virus, only ID holders can use main gate for entry here (MAFB FL)as visitor center is closed. Those with the new VA card must go to the commercial gate where all vehicles and persons are searched and issued passes--I'm am sure the wait is considerable.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2020, 03:30 PM   #30

Just want to clarify something on the thread, it's not a " VA card" it is actually called the " Veteran Health Identification Card" (VHIC). In order to get a VHIC you have to be enrolled in VA Health Care. You do that by completing the 10-10 EZ form and getting it the eligibility department at the VA Hospital you want to use, they also need a copy of your DD214. In order to access the bases you have to have a: Service Connected Disability, or be a former POW, or been awarded the MoH. If you meet these criteria you can get into a military base and use the facilities, from the PX to the FamCamps.
Sam93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 06:49 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Thats correct...a 10% hearing loss and your good to go. What 20+ yr retired or PDRL vet ever thought it would come to that.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:37 AM   #32

Thor Owners Club
Actually, a 0% hearing loss will do it.

As Tetonchief said, the net effect of extending these privileges is for the benefit of the MWR programs - good for everyone.

As always, someone will please correct me if I'm wrong...
woodbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 03:16 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetonchief View Post
To all who have nothing good to say about BX and Commissary, glad you are not using them--makes the lines that much shorter for those of us who do. I like that the profits go back into the installations for the benefit of the troops via MWR etc (and as retired I get to use those MWR facilities too). Gas has always been on par with local stations on a % so as not to unfairly compete with local--however with BX credit card you get 5 cents off on every gallon. The new authorizations for Vets was not because of loss revenue, it was because Sen McCain wanted it in the last Defense Bill he voted on (huge mistake in my opinion). Because of current base restriction of the virus, only ID holders can use main gate for entry here (MAFB FL)as visitor center is closed. Those with the new VA card must go to the commercial gate where all vehicles and persons are searched and issued passes--I'm am sure the wait is considerable.
One minor point of clarification....the Commissary is not tied to the MWR activities. MWR are BX/PX, Class VI, gas station, quickstops, etc.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 05:10 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
MWR uses Nonappropriated Funds. NAFs are monies that are not appropriated by the Congress to incur obligations and make payments out of the United States (U.S.) Treasury. NAFs come primarily from the sale of goods and services to DoD military and civilian personnel and their family members.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:40 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbender View Post
My wife LOVES to shop at the BX. Great atmosphere on base, yes mam, excuse me, mam.

Here in California, the BX does not charge the 6-8% CA sales tax which makes the pricing more attractive than it might otherwise be.

We use the military campgrounds a LOT. Love 'em.
The local commissary charges a surcharge on my total bill(almost the same amount) instead of state taxes.
Yes, atmosphere; I feel good when the ID card checker hands mine back and says welcome 1SG!
BTW, as of last Thursday, you cannot take a guest, every adult must have an ID card enter a commissary.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:47 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
On our last commissary visit, the surcharge was 5%.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:18 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
I do not believe that for a second. The bx sells at the same price as downtown. Gas is cheaper downtown. Booze is on par with downtown. Food court not any different than downtown. Tires more expensive than downtown.
XX2
azwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:15 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbender View Post
Actually, a 0% hearing loss will do it.

As Tetonchief said, the net effect of extending these privileges is for the benefit of the MWR programs - good for everyone.

As always, someone will please correct me if I'm wrong...
The exchange system operates at a profit so it will definitely benefit. The commissary system is subsidized by tax payers. I live in an area where groceries are expensive so the local comissary has gone from maybe a 5 minute wait for checkout to well over 30 minutes since the eligibility has expanded. I have tried going 3 times this year and each time the line literally wrapped around the entire perimeter of the store. It's like those black friday videos on CNN. Having effectively lost a benefit that I have served over 23 years to earn, i would argue that no, it is not good for everyone.

To add insult to injury, all the military hotels that I haven't had time to take advantage of while on active duty will probably be booked a year out so I expect to lose that benefit as well.
Raider47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:52 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam93 View Post
Just want to clarify something on the thread, it's not a " VA card" it is actually called the " Veteran Health Identification Card" (VHIC). In order to get a VHIC you have to be enrolled in VA Health Care. You do that by completing the 10-10 EZ form and getting it the eligibility department at the VA Hospital you want to use, they also need a copy of your DD214. In order to access the bases you have to have a: Service Connected Disability, or be a former POW, or been awarded the MoH. If you meet these criteria you can get into a military base and use the facilities, from the PX to the FamCamps.

I believe that if you have a purple heart you are eligible as well.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:13 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
That is true, I forgot to list that, thank you for adding that to the thread.
Sam93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:30 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
The difference is the VHIC must state Service Connected. 100 percent disabled service connected veterans and Purple Heart recipients are authorized a DOD ID card. Non retired veterans rated at 0 - 90 percent are not entitled to the DOD ID card, that is where the VHIC comes into play accessing facilities.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:50 AM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
The difference is the VHIC must state Service Connected. 100 percent disabled service connected veterans and Purple Heart recipients are authorized a DOD ID card. Non retired veterans rated at 0 - 90 percent are not entitled to the DOD ID card, that is where the VHIC comes into play accessing facilities.
VETERAN HEALTH IDENTIFICATION CARD
Veterans eligible solely under this act should have their Veteran Health Identification Card, or VHIC, from the VA, and
present it to gain entry to DOD and Coast Guard installations, officials said.
The VHIC must display the veteran's eligibility status, whether it be Purple Heart recipient, former POW, or a serviceconnected disability.

Meaning PH recipients are not eligible for DOD ID card.