Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Military / Veteran RVing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-19-2020, 02:12 PM   #1

New commissary privileges for vets

Wife and I went to the Commissary for the second time today on our new privilege of a service connected disabled Vet.. It was pretty painless and it is a really nice place to shop.. We had to stop at the visitor sign in building just outside the gate, Davis Monthan AFB, and sign in the wife each time and they issued a day pass for her good for 24 hrs. In our first visit I got my permanent ID card. We are snowbirds in Tucson. We hope to use a couple of FAMCAMPS on the way home via South Carolina to Missouri.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2020, 02:21 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Fuel is more expensive on Hill AFB than outside. The base shopping is not what it used to be. I have lived 10 miles from Hill for 20+ years and cannot remember the last time I used the BX or commissary, and I now work on base. I use the class 6 but that is just because I live in a state where people who don't drink make the alcohol laws, and they suck at it. I retire next year and will likely never come on base. The pharmacy is a joke, open 9-5 m-f. Walmart is open 24/7/365 and they actually want me to come in and buy stuff. Their store brands beat anything on base.
TonyMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:55 AM   #3

The 2020 budget for commissaries was cut 20% and the DOD is moving toward combining the exchange system which makes a profit and is about the same price as off base shopping. I think Commissary prices will also rise to about the same as off base groceries as the government works toward eliminating the subsidies. I think they are allowing more veterans to shop there because they will lose active duty and retired customers as prices go up.
Raider47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:54 AM   #4

They're doing this just to help the failing commissaries.
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by markandkim View Post
They're doing this just to help the failing commissaries.
Yep
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:25 PM   #6

We rarely go to the commissary. About every 6 weeks we go buy meat there, not much else.

The BX is the real joke. I do visit the fast food places sometimes just because I work on base.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:00 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
My wife LOVES to shop at the BX. Great atmosphere on base, yes mam, excuse me, mam.

Here in California, the BX does not charge the 6-8% CA sales tax which makes the pricing more attractive than it might otherwise be.

We use the military campgrounds a LOT. Love 'em.
woodbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:28 PM   #8
WVI

While at the VA this week, someone mentioned they had used the commissary last week under this new privilege.
I asked if they thought it was cheaper than Kroger or WM in our area, and they said yes.
We rairly used it even when in as off base facilities always beat their prices.
The ;last time I used a commissary was to in SC to pick up a few boxes of MREs...
WVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:41 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
The commissary sells at cost plus the 5% sur charge, no tax.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:58 PM   #10

The only time we use the commissary is when we are staying in the base RV park. Wife does buy some make up in the exchange and adult beverages are sometimes cheaper.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:33 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
The commissary sells at cost plus the 5% sur charge, no tax.
I do not believe that for a second. The bx sells at the same price as downtown. Gas is cheaper downtown. Booze is on par with downtown. Food court not any different than downtown. Tires more expensive than downtown.
TonyMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:36 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
I do not believe that for a second. The bx sells at the same price as downtown. Gas is cheaper downtown. Booze is on par with downtown. Food court not any different than downtown. Tires more expensive than downtown.
Comparing BX/PXs with commissaries is an apples to oranges comparison. They are two entirely different systems. The BX/PX....includes the main store, Class VI, gas station, food, etc, and supports soldier programs (morale and welfare) and charges more than the Commissary.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:16 AM   #13

Well we have pros and cons.. We will be staying at a FAMCAMP for the first time in April in Charleston SC.. Fosters Creek rv park outside the naval weapons station at Goose Creek. $66 for 3 nights. My dad was CO of the weapons station in 71 so it will be interesting to see how much has changed in the area.. I have not been there since 71 when I got my discharge. Google maps shows it totally developed now..
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:49 AM   #14

After 23 years and 8 different duty stations the one thing I learned about shopping on base is to shop around for deals, both on and off base. A large ticket item at the PX in Colorado is cheaper because no tax, meat and milk was cheaper at the Commissary in Alaska and it was just as easy to shop off base in NC as on especially at Bragg.

The up side is, that you get to feel the connection of being part of the military community. I love to go see my son at Fort Stewart, hate Hinesville, but on base always feels familiar.

Have a great time and enjoy your benefits, you earned them.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote